Gaslow on 2013 Auto-Trail Navajo

GrahamPye

Hi,

Anyone installed a Gaslow kit on a 2013 Auto-Trail Navajo? I'm looking for hints about where you installed the filler - I'd like to put it just below the diesel filler, or at least close by the gas locker - I'm wondering if the side skirt is strong enough?

Thanks for any hints or experience,

Graham

I have just fitted a Gas-It refillable cylinder to my Auto-Trail Tracker RS and fitted the filling point in the gas locker using a 90* bracket as I did not feel the side skirt was rigid enough due to the thickness and size of the filler pipe . The Gas-It system was a lot less money then the Gaslow system also I purchased an adapter to fit the gas cylinder so as not to have to replace the original pigtail to the regulator. You can see the adapter and fittings in the attached pictures.The upper fixing strap is just to keep the pipe tidy its a 13kg cylinder with gauge which was on offer at the time . The cylinder and fittings including French and German adapters was around £189 . I have only used one large cylinder to allow a bit of space to carry my levelling ramps. The cost to fill from empty at my local Morrisons was about £15.

DSC00595.JPG.5ca081babaef6e3328decadb0a79219f.JPG

DSC00594.JPG.629b73599b08ecd5a08d8a849e66b6f9.JPG

I believe the gas-regulator fitted to kelly58’s Auto-Trail Tracker is Truma’s “Mono Control CS” product.

This regulator is designed to allow a motorhome’s gas-fuelled heater (assuming this is certificated for operation in a moving vehicle) to be used legally throughout the EU while the motorhome is being driven. For legality to be maintained, a high-pressure hose with hose rupture protection (HRP) must be employed to connect the gas cylinder to the gas-regulator.

Kelly58’s use of an adapter on his Gas-It bottle permits Truma’s original hose (that has HRP) to be retained. However, I don’t think Gaslow hoses (ie. the stainless-steel ones) have HRP.

Replying in reverse... Derek's point about retaining the legality of the "on the move" regulator is a good one since I have that sort of regulator too. I think I'll try and obtain that sort of adaptor.

In response to the first reply (Dementia setting in - I've forgotten your name already!) I've just laid underneath the van and it appears there is a double skinned section of skirt just below and behind the filler so I'm hoping that will be rigid enough - I might back it up with some marine ply to stiffen it further... I didn't want to mount the filler inside the locker because of all the stories you hear about French garages not allowing you to fill up with that arrangement.

Although the Gaslow kit is indeed about £100 more than you paid for your system I'm swayed by the theory that theirs is more likely to meet with approval "sur la continent" due to having all the right regulatory approvals. Maybe yours does too, and I've been suckered by the marketing hype :-)

Thanks both,

Graham

Derek Uzzell - 2013-08-05 1:41 PM

I believe the gas-regulator fitted to kelly58’s Auto-Trail Tracker is Truma’s “Mono Control CS” product.

This regulator is designed to allow a motorhome’s gas-fuelled heater (assuming this is certificated for operation in a moving vehicle) to be used legally throughout the EU while the motorhome is being driven. For legality to be maintained, a high-pressure hose with hose rupture protection (HRP) must be employed to connect the gas cylinder to the gas-regulator.

Kelly58’s use of an adapter on his Gas-It bottle permits Truma’s original hose (that has HRP) to be retained. However, I don’t think Gaslow hoses (ie. the stainless-steel ones) have HRP.

I agree, Derek, it does look like a Mono Control CS, but I can't see the HRP on the hose. If it's there, it doesn't resemble those on my pigtails.

Brian Kirby - 2013-08-05 2:39 PM

I agree, Derek, it does look like a Mono Control CS, but I can't see the HRP on the hose. If it's there, it doesn't resemble those on my pigtails.

....It certainly looks like the Secumotion hose on my 'van (which, AFAIK, is the same as that for the newer CS system)

I think the picture deceives. The button of the "rupture valve" is on the cylinder end, and looks in this shot rather like a join with the filler hose (which in fact passes behind the button).

I must admit, as I don't use my system on the move, I've removed my rupture-proof hose and replaced it with a (already to hand) longer Gaslow hand-tightening one. This is much more convenient, but the change was largely dictated by a lingering smell of gas, and over time, staining of the gas locker vent (the plastic of which also went very brittle). Despite having the system pressure-tested, the smell still remained.

I suspected a poor brass-to brass POL seal, and the Gaslow hose has a rubber insert. On attempting to remove the Secumotion hose, however, the reason became apparent - the hose was very secure, *but* cross-threaded to the regulator, and the intervening washer (which must have been letting a small amount of gas through), was in a pretty bad state. It took me quite some time to persuade the replacement hose to overcome the cross-threading, but all is now as it should be.

I hadn't really thought about it when having the pressure test but I now suspect that the standard method is to isolate the regulator from downstream, and test for pressure-loss upstream (i.e. in the fixed piping).....if not, then I'm somewhat miffed that no leak was found.

I've just fitted a replacement locker vent as well - it is rather sparklingly white!

Robinhood - 2013-08-05 3:10 PM.....................I think the picture deceives. The button of the "rupture valve" is on the cylinder end, and looks in this shot rather like a join with the filler hose (which in fact passes behind the button)....................

Why, so it does!! A bad case of "should have gone to Specsavers" I'm afraid. Apologies to all!

Since we've gone off the point of my original question, perhaps someone can help me with what the various bits shown in Kelly58's pictures are (I have the same fittings) - I presumed that the regulator was the location of the "crash" cut-out, and consequently I've never been quite sure what the other fiutting with the green button is for.

BTW, I've looked at my original fit hose, and although it has a BS number and lots of DIN specifications on it, I can't see any obvious indication that it is "HRP" - although I presume it must be for the van to be certified for on the move heating.

Can I ask Kelly58 where he got the butane bottle to propane hose adaptor from? My dealer, when asked today, said there was no such thing!

Thanks all,

Graham

PS And if anyone has done such an install in a Navajo....

GrahamPye - 2013-08-05 11:35 PM .Can I ask Kelly58 where he got the butane bottle to propane hose adaptor from? My dealer, when asked today, said there was no such thing!Thanks all,GrahamPS And if anyone has done such an install in a Navajo....

It is not a butane to propane hose adapter Gas It do 3 gas bottles 6kg 11kg and13kg which are for propane . The brass adapter shewn in the top photo is supplied by Gas It and it screws onto the bottle inlet connector to allow you to connect the original pigtail from the regulator to the bottle . Have a look on the Gas It website all the fittings are discribed on there or give them a ring they are more than helpfull. It took me lesds than an hour to fit mine and can highly recommend the company and refill kit . I have no personal connection with the company only as a satisfied customer. www.gasit.co.uk I have just looked on their website and they are closed for annual holidays until 19th August for sales.

kelly58 - 2013-08-06 7:37 AM

The brass adapter shown in the top photo is supplied by Gas It and it screws onto the bottle inlet connector to allow you to connect the original pigtail from the regulator to the bottle.

In case anyone else is looking for this, it's the following part on the GasIt website:

http://www.gasit.co.uk/index.php?_a=product&product_id=94

Cost (including postage) is £12.47, so might be as cheap to buy a new hose, unless you're worried abut keeping your current rupture proof item.

Graham

kelly58 - 2013-08-06 7:37 AM

GrahamPye - 2013-08-05 11:35 PM .Can I ask Kelly58 where he got the butane bottle to propane hose adaptor from? My dealer, when asked today, said there was no such thing!Thanks all,GrahamPS And if anyone has done such an install in a Navajo....

It is not a butane to propane hose adapter Gas It do 3 gas bottles 6kg 11kg and13kg which are for propane . The brass adapter shewn in the top photo is supplied by Gas It and it screws onto the bottle inlet connector to allow you to connect the original pigtail from the regulator to the bottle . Have a look on the Gas It website all the fittings are discribed on there or give them a ring they are more than helpfull. It took me lesds than an hour to fit mine and can highly recommend the company and refill kit . I have no personal connection with the company only as a satisfied customer. www.gasit.co.uk I have just looked on their website and they are closed for annual holidays until 19th August for sales.

I believe you'll find that Graham is (pretty much) correct. The adapter you've fitted is this one

http://www.gasit.co.uk/index.php?_a=product&product_id=94

As the advert says, it's designed to convert the type of threaded outlet connection used on a UK Calor 4.5kg butane gas-bottle (the connection is commonly referred to as "21.8 LH") and on various refillable gas-bottles to allow a gas pigtail with the traditional UK-standard propane POL inlet connection to be used.

The adapter is available elsewhere

http://www.gasproducts.co.uk/acatalog/Propane_Pol_to_Butane_Adaptor.html

The Gaslow equivalent (that includes a gauge) is this one

http://www.outdoorbits.com/propane-adaptor-with-gauge-4330-p-710.html

See also the "Truma Drivesafe/SecuMotion" section here

http://www.motorcaravanning.co.uk/shopuk/gaslow_all_catalogue.htm

and this MHF thread

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftoptitle-119428-adaptor-for-pol-female-to-218lh-on-gaslow.html

While there will inevitably be a higher potential risk of a service-station attendant objecting to someone pumping LPG into their motorhome if a locker-door needs to be opened to do this, rather than via a remote external filling-point, I suspect that this risk is as high (possibly higher) in the UK than in Continental Europe.

Plainly, if the filling-point is in a motorhome's gas locker and the gas-bottle looks just like an exchange-only canister, and you ask a service-station attendant for help on how to refill that bottle (which I'm certain is what happened sometimes when refillable LPG bottles began to be popular with UK motorcaravanners), you should anticipate that the attendant might object if he/she has been told that refilling exchange-only bottles should be disallowed. But, if you use discretion (and a little commonsense) refilling a bottle via an in-locker filling-point is most unlikely to be problematical either in the UK or abroad.

Gaslow kit is now marketed in France (as are other brands of refillable bottle), but it's likely that the type of Gaslow installation (DIY or professional) found on UK-registerd motorhomes does not meet French standards. My understanding is that, for French-registered motorhomes, the filling-point MUST be remote (ie. not in the gas locker) and the bottle MUST be secured 'metallically' (ie. with a metal strap around it or with metal clips attached to the bottle's base). Such regulations won't apply to UK-registered motorhomes visiting France - I merely mention them as Graham referred to "...approval "sur la continent" due to having all the right regulatory approvals".

Archived