German towns/cities

capstan55

We are taking a long and slow trip to Venice in June via Germany and Austria. I seem to remember a thread some time ago regarding a type of permit required to travel in some or all major towns and cities. Permit was indicated by a colour sticker in the windscreen. Can anyone help with details please?

....the Umweltplakette is required for a number of "urban" areas in Germany, but note it is not required to traverse those areas using the Autobahn, as long as you don't exit.

It's quite possible to visit the majority of Germany without one, and though I've had one on my last two 'vans, I think I've only entered a zone on one occasion.

The great majority (if not all) the zones now demand a Green plakette for entry, having migrated over the years from Red, through Amber, to this level. This will normally only be issued to a Euro4 or above vehicle, so if you don't qualify, it is probably not worth applying. On the other hand, if you do qualify for Green, given the price it is well worthwhile being prepared.

If you inadvertently enter a zone (generally well marked), they aren't policed by cameras (so you won't immediately get "flagged"), you will need to be "physically" noticed, and the penalties aren't as swingeing as London.

You can get more information in English from here ( but if buying in advance on-line, don't use one of the links from here - use the Berlin one in the post above):

http://www.feinstaubvignette.de/

The Berlin link (in the previous post) for buying online is cheap (at €6) and efficient for on-line purchase, or you can buy at a TÜV station or car dealer in Germany (usually for around €5).

Archived