HOLIDAY LIST

DEEANDEM

What - everything ! ?

I would suggest it's everything you use at home plus one or two to be 'legal'

e.g. If you wear specs to drive you need to have a spare pair in Spain.

Also in Spain, and some other places on the continent it is mandatory to carry reflective jackets, and carry reflective triangles.

Those are the ones that come to mind but I'm sure others will come up with more.

:-|

Loo brush - round

thin towels

bath mat

dirty wash bag

holy spoon

garlic press

crocks

dustpan and brush

kitchen rolls

hair brushes

strong sun cream

Umberella

Bin Bags/liners

shopping bags

washup brush

dish cloth

t.towel

Food

Drinks /cartons

baked beans

fairy liquid

jiff

toasting bread

crumpets

t.bags

c.beef

Triangle

Flourescent Jackets

Bulbs

1st aid Kit

Torches

Binoculars

Cameras/chargers

Memory cards

sledges

Driving Licence

Sat nav

Phones/chargers

Rucksack

Bike locks

Cloths to bike clean

This was just some of the things on a list I sent to a friend who was hiring a van for 2 weeks. The food section were just some basics for putting them on till they got there and some that just don't match ours over here.

hope this jogs your memory a bit and have a wonderful time

Mandy

And a trailer to put it all in!. Pretty comprehensive list there Mandy and should cover just about everything. Items such as food and clothing can be bought along the way to save on weight and storage, some good books, translation books if only for basic phrases and plenty of medication, especially personal prescriptions.

Thats the beauty of owning a motorhome Derrick. Up and away at a moments notice.

We tend to keep our van stocked up all the time with most stuff.... including the flo vests, torch etc....and as mentioned most stuff you can buy along the way.

We tend not to have too much food as we usually stop at local bars to drink in the atmosphere :-S , budget allowing!

A phrase book for the country is a must have.... as well as up to date medical forms.

I was under the impression that carrying one warning triangle in the vehicle was legally adequate for drivers 'visiting' Spain (ie. tourists), and that carrying two triangles was mandatory only for drivers who were Spanish residents. (I note that the CC's 2007 Europe 1 Guide says "1 triangle required - 2 recommended") Has this rule changed recently?

(Probably doesn't matter much on the basis that one can never have too many warning triangles, but it's usually a good thing knowing exactly what a country's law allows you to get away with.)

Derek Uzzell - 2008-06-02 1:37 PM

I was under the impression that carrying one warning triangle in the vehicle was legally adequate for drivers 'visiting' Spain (ie. tourists), and that carrying two triangles was mandatory only for drivers who were Spanish residents. (I note that the CC's 2007 Europe 1 Guide says "1 triangle required - 2 recommended") Has this rule changed recently?

(Probably doesn't matter much on the basis that one can never have too many warning triangles, but it's usually a good thing knowing exactly what a country's law allows you to get away with.)

Hi Derek - I think (I don't know for certain, but I think) it's been TWO warning triangles for all car/van/lorries registered in or passing through Spain, for a couple of years now at least.

It's certainly nothing to do with whether you are a Spanish resident or not.

But remember also that no-one actually really stops you in Spain to check through a list of extra spectacles, warning triangles, complete set of spare light bulbs (how do you carry a spare sealed-beam headlight?) and all necessary tools to change any of them; first aid kit, fire extinguisher, etc etc etc.

In Spain, at any time you are stopped by the Policia Local, Policia National, or Guardia Civil, you'll be asked for one thing 99.99% of the time, proof of INSURANCE.

The other 00.01% you might just get asked to show your driving licence.

BGD:

Thanks for the reply - I had looked at a number of websites and they all advised that 2 triangles were compulsory for Spain. (For curiosity's sake I might contact the CC about this.)

Trouble with 'national' motoring laws is that their exactitude can get lost either a) because they are complex or weird to begin with, or b) that they gain a 'recieved wisdom' acceptance that is factually incorrect.

For example, it's common knowledge that, in France, carrying a set of replacement bulbs in your vehicle is a legal requirement. However, a reliable source once told me (when I wondered exactly which vehicle-lights the bulbs needed to relate to) that, although carrying a set of bulbs is highly recommended when driving in France, it's not actually mandatory. (This advice is repeated on the AA Roadwatch website, though the CC Guide disagrees!)

Another instance is, when the French motoring rule regarding carrying reflective waistcoats was mentioned on this forum, it produced a whole raft of confidently-spoken interpretations of that regulation, ranging from a waistcoat being needed for just the driver of the vehicle to a waistcoat being obligatory for every person travelling in it.

I'll keep clear of the discussion about what you HAVE to carry in case of breakdown, and return to the "living quarters" part of the question.

Over a period of time, we've tried to duplicate everything we might need in the van. So we don't run around the home kitchen/bathroom collecting things we might need (and forgetting some of them), or have to unload it all in the middle of the night when we get home, before we can resume normal life (whatever that is).

Generally, whatever you use most days in your home kitchen or bathroom, but another of and keep it in the van!

Yep. I also have a small case with writing pad, pens, stamps in .... just in case see anything of note. My big problem is forgetting the personal things, like contact lens solution.... so as you walk around house doing daily routines, MAKE A NOTE so you don't forget as your remember things.... *-) did you understand that last sentence? !!!! :$

Something else I alway have in, is a couple of "Thank you" cards as there is always someone around who does somthing kind for you and it is just a nice touch to put in a wiper blade when you leave a site or drop of at the wardens office. Yeah!! I know Im a big softie really.

Mandy

Archived