Hobby Van 50 GS First van

skibud

Hi, still looking for first van, not easy. We have not discounted Hymer 562/512, however wondered if anybody had any views on this Hobby Van 50GS.

Use for a couple, probably 3 months touring Europe Sept to Beginning of December then short UK use throughout the rest of the year. Mostly sites, but would like to experience short periods of wild camping. Would want to take a couple of bikes.

Payload, looks ok advertised at 800 kilo, but don't know what that will mean after extras, any views on that and any other qualities or failings?

Thanks again.

When I get one a van that is, I will reciprocate, promise!!

....I run the somewhat longer Van Exclusive, and (despite a few niggles noted elsewhere) it is probably in overall terms the best 'van I've owned, and suits us pretty well (in fact, it has been used for three people, but now we travel two-up).

Brian Kirby ran a similar (to the 50GS) but earlier (2007?) Hobby Van, in which he happily travelled all over Europe 'a deux'. He'll probably respond, but if not, I'm sure he will to a PM.

I personally like the Transit base (and many spares will be easier to obtain than the A'class Exsis). I've found it good to drive, with excellent fuel consumption, and cheap servicing.

This 'van is narrow (like the Exsis) but also a bit shorter. As in any short 'van with a rear bed, lounging space is at a premium, but is perfectly adequate for two. Storage should be OK (even if you put the bikes in the garage - which I would recommend), but transverse rear beds are not always seen as user-friendly (since nocturnal exit of the person sleeping near the rear wall is 'inconvenient').

The 'facilities' are somewhat bijou, but my less-than-sylphlike form manages, and the shower is relatively easy to dry down after use.

As to payload, the same applies as did in previous posts - the 'van is likely to have factory-fitted upgrades which will already have defrayed it, BUT, my experience is that you will struggle to find a decent 'van of this vintage under 3500kg with much more margin.

At recent MOT time, my pretty similar but larger vehicle weighed in at 2881kg, substantially empty, but well fuelled and with gas on board. This leaves ample margin for two people, and you are likely to find a 50GS has more.

Issues:

Mine (and at least two other similar 'vans) have suffered from unsupported hinges to the fridge door which could cause lasting damage. I think the 50GS kitchen avoids this design fault.

There have been reports of the overcab skylight "blowing out" - 4 years on and mine is as solid as day 1.

There have been reports of the circular washroom skylight delaminating or cracking - something to check before purchase.

The Transit (if heavily loaded at the back - which the generous rear-axle limit rather encourages) can get a little light on the front, so some care is need in loading.

Other than that, for a short, narrow, reasonably built and driveable 'van, not a bad start.

I agree with Robin. The Transit is fine. Ours was a LHD 2007 130PS version, and power was adequate under all conditions. What you get will depend a bit on the year you are looking at. 2007 was the first year of production, and Hobby added a few bells and whistles as standard that later became options, or were included in "packs". The full Hobby model designation was T500GFSC. This had the higher set transverse bed with a surprisingly roomy "garage" beneath. The original bed access ladder was aluminium, and was uncomfortable with bare feet, so I made a wooden one to replace it. The fridge was manual energy selection with manual ignition. Oddly primitive choice, but it always worked. A non-thermostat oven was standard, which was tantamount to useless, and its grill wasn't much better!

We had the problem with the over-cab rooflight de-bonding - though it didn't detach. It just leaked until removed and re-sealed under warranty. When viewing, try lifting the rooflight by pressing with thumbs around its periphery. If it moves, it is de-bonding. A good windscreen man should have no great problem removing, cleaning, and re-bonding.

Also had the problem of the washroom rooflight inner skin beginning to part from the outer: replaced under warranty. Visible condensation in the cavity of the double glazed unit would be an indicator. Replacement is the only fix. Not cheap if you're paying!

Hobby claim that use of paper photo-laminate wallboard in lieu of plastic means that any leakage is immediately visible inside, so look carefully along all panel and roof to wall joints, and also get a damp check carried out.

I was never able to eliminate the rear end loading problem. All the storage is toward the rear, and nearly all the load falls on the rear axle. Ours varied between 1,260kg front and 1,420kg rear in "unladen" state but with full fuel (2,680kg total), and 1,310kg front and 1,970kg rear fully laden (3,275kg total). This placed 60% of the total weight on the rear leaving, as Robin says, the front light. Although well within the rear axle limit of 2,250kg, the rear wallowed on roundabouts etc, mainly due, I think, to the relatively long overhang. This was much improved by adding air assistance "bellows" at the rear. It was also inclined to suffer from "camber steer", and needed constant minor corrections on narrow rural two lane roads where the surface was uneven. On better engineered roads it was fine, and was not much affected by cross-winds or truck "bow-waves".

I bought, and carried in the garage/boot, a spare wheel and tyre, which didn't help the rear end load - but preferred to put up with that than rely on the joke can of gunk. We had it just on 6 years, and it took us to many places: about 34,000 miles at 28.27 MPG average. Usual trips were 8 - 10 weeks duration, spring and autumn. It is just large enough not to become claustrophobic on a wet day. Nothing broke, nothing fell off, and the van was in excellent condition inside and out when we sold it. We used sites 95%, and never used the shower.

Thanks chaps the year we are looking at is 2012, but will bear in mind all your pointers. Last year we were in southern Spain until early November in a smallish tent, great during the day, but when the sun went down, we were the only ones still sat outside!! Hoping that the motorhome will offer that little bit extra warmth in an evening.

...both sets of comments are largely applicable to a 2012 50GS (Mine's a 2010).

There will be little fundamental change from Brian's 2007 with the same layout (though there will be 10hp more from the engine) and the basic design and equipment is very similar to mine (which is simply longer with a different rear layout, but virtually identical forward of the bed.

Hi looked at a Hobby Van 50 GS today, which was definitely too claustrophobic for us. We hoped to view a Hobby Van Exclusive, but that had been sold, so went to see a 2012 Hobby van 55ES., We loved the layout very similar to the Exsis with twin single beds, the one thing I didn't like was that the driver's seat was prevented from turning round by the small chair next to the habitation door, leaving it sort of swinging in no mans land. Is the 55ES the same as the Exclusive?

Cheers

....the layout is very much like mine, (I'd say identical as far as this seating is concerned) and I'd be quite surprised if you can't fully swivel the driver's seat (though it is possibly true).

I drive with the seat fully back on the runners. To rotate it, I have to move it forwards on the runners to miss the bulkhead, handbrake and steering wheel respectively whilst turning, then, when there is enough clearance at the steering wheel, (after turning sa 120 degrees), push it full back on the runners again.

It will then quite happily turn 180 degrees and more, and (as my wife claims it) it's then legs up on the jump seat.

I can find this picture, that shows that it clears the jump seat (but it is a LHD 'van with the steering wheel the other side).

http://www.devriescampers.nl/camperaanboddetails.asp?ID=651

Hobby’s 2012 motorhome catalogue can be downloaded from here

http://www.southdownsmotorcaravans.co.uk/2012-hobby-motorhomes/2012-hobby-motorhome-brochure-pricelist-downloads.php

There’s also a fairly detailed advert for a 2012 Van 55 ES here

http://www.southdownsmotorhomecentre.co.uk/new-hobby-van-55-es-motorhome-n2568.html

Based on the catalogue and the advert’s photos, it appears that (for 2012) no Ford Transit-based Hobby had the “Exclusive” feature of curved bodywork side-panelling. The “Van Exclusive” model-name was still used in 2012, but applying to a pair of significantly longer Fiat Ducato-based motorhomes.

The photos in the Southdowns advert show the driver’s seat only partially swivelled, but (as Robin says) it’s probable that it can be fully swivelled. My own LHD Hobby’s right-hand cab-seat could be swivelled through 180 degrees but needed to be moved about on its runners to do this as Robin describes. It’s normally far easier to swivel cab-seats in A-class motorhomes like Hymer’s Exsis as the cab area is so much wider.

Although the 55 ES vehicle in the Southdowns advert had a 140PS powerplant, the standard motor for this era of Transit-based Hobbys was 125PS. It’s possible that all 2012 RHD Transit-based Hobbys were produced with the 140PS powerplant, but I wouldn’t bet on this. As the more powerful motor is preferable, it’s worth confirming which motor a vehicle being offered for sale has.

The 55 ES (and Robin’s and my Hobby motorhomes) was built on a long-wheelbase FWD Transit platform-cab chassis, rather than the medium-wheelbase chassis used for Brian’s “Van”. There’a a fair (though certainly not huge) amount of rear overhang on a 55 ES so (as Robin says) care should be taken regarding loading. I doubt that the 'handling’ problems Brian experienced with his Van would be replicated on a 55 ES, but a motorhome with a long rear overhang and a lot of weight at the back will never be a happy combination. The rear suspension varies on FWD Transit-based Hobbys according to the year of production, complicating direct handling comparisons.

This was a right hand drive on a Ford Transit. We all tried including the salesman, but it wouldn't go 180 degrees, more like 160 and only as far as the the corner of the jump seat. This resulted in a sitting position that had me facing the table at an angle and were I to put my feet up, they would have been on my wife's knees, very comfortable but would wear a bit thin after a while. Not that we watch much TV, but it would have also meant I was twisting in the seat to watch the television.

We did also note that the passenger seat when turned at 180 degrees was also very forward, so you were almost on top of the table leaving wasted space behind, which you would have assumed the seat would have slid back into. I wonder if this is because it is RHD?

The photo in the link Derek sent illustrates the problem

http://www.southdownsmotorcaravans.co.uk/stock/2568/new-hobby-van-es-55-motorhome-n2568_022.html

This is where it went and no further, no sliding back from here to allow further movement. The Hobby van 50GS we viewed in the morning had the same problem, again 2012. Neither seats were locked in that position and when they touched the jump seat it resulted in an annoying squeek.

If these are problems not affecting the exclusive range, I will carry on looking at them, but the 55ES is not an option for us.

As you have already discounted the similar variant of the Hymer Van, the only other "slim Jim" vans I can think of would be the Knaus Van, or one of the variants on the Dethleffs Globebus. Both these are a little wider, as they are on the Fiat base.

The Knaus has a forward kitchen block, which I think quite advantageous, as it places the dining table within easy reach, and so usable as addition prep space, but also reduces the risk of drips or spills onto the corner of the forward facing dinette seat when serving. The downside is that the UK driver's seat is behind the kitchen block, so can only usefully be turned about 90 degrees. But, these are smallish vans, and all will have compromises.

There is also a Burstner Travelvan (also on Fiat), but it didn't seem to me to offer any advantages over the others, and the version with longitudinal singles, IIRC, really needed a longer wheelbase chassis as the rear overhang was quite severe.

Our present Exis had a similar problem with the (LHD) drivers seat not rotating a full 180 degrees to meet the table, leaving it skewed - also because it fouls a jump seat. I got a local fabricator to make up a new table-top with a skewed edge, so that the seat now meets it square on. The result is a slightly deeper table, so a bit more space for meals. Why Hymer didn't/couldn't work this out, and get it right, goodness knows! However, if you have the inclination, you may be able to do something similar.

.....I find this all fairly confusing.

The 55ES has (in theory) exactly the same front geometry as my 'van, despite detail differences elsewhere.

Whilst I was out today, I pondered on whether the seats fitted were the optional Aguti seats, but certainly thse on the Southdowns picture are almost certainly Ford seats (albeit with two armrests compared to my 1)

It may be that they have used different swivels, as the positioning of the seat look slightly different (though it is hard to tell from pictures).

Since you also mention that the other seat appeared to be "forward" when swivelled, I also wondered whether the swivels had been mounted 180 degrees out from mine (as the pivot is not central on the seat box, and it does look as though mounting could be reversed - this would make about 4 inches of difference in fore-aft movement).

Whatever, with the minor fore-aft movement during rotation, I have no problem at all with my seats. The two following pictures taken to demonstrate (the angled picture is the seat in the forward position required during initial rotation, it is then slid back on the runners, and note the amount of clearance at 180 degrees).

Hobbyseat1.jpg.c0320ec558954ac1e3a0f7470c02ef50.jpg

Hobbyseat2.jpg.8c8fadfa3f274a030e3be09582db7947.jpg

Thanks Brian, I did consider when sat in it if some precise cuts into the jump seat base would have been possible, but the passenger seat was still an issue. Have not discounted the Exsis 562, which I liked, the only question being about payload, which having gone into more detail, I think I could live with.

Still looking, but if I don't find one soon we are going to delay while we take a Road trip around South Africa. There will always be vans out there.

Robinhood - 2014-08-12 5:15 PM

...Since you also mention that the other seat appeared to be "forward" when swivelled, I also wondered whether the swivels had been mounted 180 degrees out from mine (as the pivot is not central on the seat box, and it does look as though mounting could be reversed - this would make about 4 inches of difference in fore-aft movement)...

I don’t think that’s what’s ‘wrong’.

If the swivels fitted to your Van were turned through 180 degrees the operating levers would be on the outside and interfere with the standard Ford plastic seat trim. I THINK your swivels lock in only one position, so if the swivels were turned round they would only lock with the seat facing towards the rear. I also THINK the swivels on your Hobby are ‘handed’, so that the swivel on the right-hand seat only moves anti-clockwise and the one on the left-hand seat only moves clockwise. I did wonder whether the left-seat and right-seat swivels had been transposed, but that wouldn’t work either.

The purpose of the swivels is so that the people in the cab-seats can reach the dining-table, not to permit feet-up lounging. As a 2012 Van GS exhibited the same problem, it’s logical to assume that a different swivel is fitted to your earlier vehicle. This is quite likely, in fact, as “Front-swivelling Captain’s Chairs” (with twin arm-rests) became a Ford factory-fitted option for Transit chassis intended for motorhome conversion.

Archived