Hymer Battery

Jack

I have recently changed our Motorhome to a Hymer B544 SL. The Hymer has one battery (DETA - DG80) which does struggle when we are not on hook-up. There is a lable beside the battery stating: " Do not replace battery with a conventional wet lead battery". I'm not sure of the reason for this; is it a safety issue or something to do with the charger Hymer use (ELEKTROBLOCK EBL 100). There is a selector switch on the charger which the handbook indicates is for lead acid / dryfill option, it is currently on gel.

My query is can I change to two wet lead acid batteries ( the same arrangement as I had on my previous van) just by altering the switch?

Views on the above would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Jack

Yes you can change to normal wet cells and change the switch over on the Elektroblock however you must provide vent tubes to the outside for wet cells.

If you are off EHU a lot (we never use EHU) I would recommend sticking with Gel batteries they are far better at coping with high discharges & will last far longer. It is not uncommon for the Exide Gel's to last for 7-8 years.

The Sonnenschein GF 12 O65Y is the same battery as the Exide G80 (sonnenschin make them for Exide) and it's a bit cheaper.

I assume you are refering to your MH having a single leisure battery, which sounds like a gel battery such as Hymer supply when new. Likewise your Electroblok is configured (by switch position) to maintaining a gel-type battery which attached to the mains - which means it will hold the final charge voltage of 14.3 for longar that it would do for a liquid lead acid battery, to finalise the charge properly.

All that sounds OK - but you have bought a used MH, so you don't know the history of the battery, which might now be getting on a bit or alternatively might not have been maintained (by being charged) very well during its service life. Leisure batteries don't last forever, especially if they have had a hard life.

So if you are having problems with your leisure battery's capacity, the most likely fault is the battery. Don;t be tempted to start messing with the Electroblok until you have read the manual properly. You are not likely to have been given one with the MH because it's the Schaudt Manual you need, but yoy can contact Schaudt and they will send you one electronically. (Mine is a different Electroblok otherwise I would offer to send you a copy of mine.)

If you decide to change the leisure battery take care to selct a suitable type and to follow the Schaut instructions on changing it. In essence you should hook up to the mains (which will preserve all your settings while disconnecting the leisure battery) and then switch off the leisure battery at the Ekectrotroblok panel before your disconnect and replace. Then choose the correct gel/non- gel switch position for your new battery, then switch the battery on again at the panel. Then let it charge on mains for 24 hours or more to get the new battery's capacity correctly recorded.

In choosing a replacement leisure battery you have a choice because battery technology has moved on sinec your MH was built and Bosch S5 seies batteries are now arguably better than gel batteries for this purpose, and cheaper. Have a read of this:

http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/battery-technology.php

They might also be able to supply you with a manual for your Electroblok.

Good luck.

Many thanks for the replies. The van is a 2007 model, therefore, if it is the original battery it is getting 'on' but has done well for it's age. The link is very interesting and whilst there is quiet a lot of detail to take on board, the article puts it across in a very understanding way. I have not made contact as yet but I will follow the suggestion to try and get hold of a handbook before deciding which type of battery to use on the Hymer.

Jack

lennyhb - 2014-10-02 11:47 PM

Depends how long you are going to keep the van for, if less than 3 years wet cell could be the cheap answer if keeping it longer I would go for decent Gels.

According to A&N it isnt just a question of cheap for short term, but the clever new car battery technology, designed to cope with engines which stop and get restarted every time the vehicle comes to a halt, are potentially better for coping with a MH leisure battery role, which involves regular and substantial discharges, even than gel batteries. Leisure batteries do not serve a true deep cycle pattern of use but instead discharge part way only each evening, then get recharged each day even when wild camping, eg by solar panels.

My MH, now nearly nine years old, still has its original pair of Exide G80 gel leisure batteries, which will cost £200 each to replace. The MH lives in a garage hooked up between tours so they get properly charged and maintained - which is presumably why they have lasted so well. Nine years ago they were the best battery for the job.

But Bosch S5 batteries of the same AH capacity will also do the job, arguably better thn gels, have a five year full guarantee and will cost less than half what replacement Exides would cost. Hence even though I am thinking of keeping the MH indefinitely, I will probably replace my Exides with Bosch S5 when the time comes.

Jack - 2014-10-02 9:33 PM

I have not made contact as yet but I will follow the suggestion to try and get hold of a handbook before deciding which type of battery to use on the Hymer.

Jack

A quick "Google" may pull up a downloadable version of the Schaudt manual.

That for the EBL100-2 (possibly the right version) can be found here:

http://www.acpasion.net/foro/archivosadjuntos/obelix/manuales/Schaudt_Electroblock_EBL100-2_Ingles.pdf

StuartO - 2014-10-02 10:29 AM

In choosing a replacement leisure battery you have a choice because battery technology has moved on sinec your MH was built and Bosch S5 seies batteries are now arguably better than gel batteries for this purpose, and cheaper.

I agree the S5 looks like a good viable option, to date I have not heard any actual reports of anyone using them in a Motorhome and they are to new for any long term results so at this point in time their performance in a leisure use situation is unknown.

the S5 is around £100 where a Sonnenschein the same battery as the Exide G80 is £148, pays yer money & takes yer choice.

My last van the Exide G80 was still going strong at nearly 6 years I carried out extensive tests on it at 5 years it still performed similar to a new battery.

Current van has Banner AGM's in it too early to determine how they will perform particularly as they are not getting the ideal charge from the Elektroblock.

Archived