IGO and Primo POIs

Robinhood

Some time ago I posted a guide to getting POIs to work with IGO8 Navigation devices, and promised to update with further instructions for IGO Primo, as and when I had the chance to try this out.

I have now had a play with Primo2, and have successfully (with minor differences in implementation) also managed to test a comprehensive set of POIs on the latter.

I've thus updated my instructions, which are attached as a PDF below.

I've also constructed a fairly comprehensive nested set of EU POIs for these devices, consisting of (Camping-Car Infos) Aires, (Bordatlas) Stellplätze, Archies Camping, and CC and CCC POI sets from recent (2014) data.

They have had all but the basic name, location and a few additional data details stripped from them to minimise file size.

They are as yet untested in anger (but have had a "bench test").

If anyone would like to try a set, I can make them available for download for a short while. I'll supply details in response to a PM (though I would need to know if IGO8 or Primo).

Using POIs with IGO8 and Primo Navigation Devices.pdf

Been looking at multimedia head unit for the new van, like some of the Clarion ones but was put off as they use Primo and the difficulty loading POI's particularly with headsets. Don't suppose you know if it is possible on Clarion headsets not much info on the web.

Otherwise might go for a Kenwood as they use Garmin and even include how to load POI's in the manual, downside is Kenwood only has a 6.2" screen can get Clarion with 7" screen.

Another problem is how much I can get away with spending before 'era indoors blows off steam, they seen to get expensive once you get into units with satnav.

I have a Zenec Naviceiver (multimedia head unit) in which I use the radio, navigation, reversing camera display, USB playback, Bluetooth, and DVD player.

AFAIK, the Clarion devices use a very similar system for updates, where the Navigation software and data are held on a (dedicated) SD or microSD card.

Map updates, POI insertion, etc, are all carried out by inserting the card into a PC and manipulating the data on it.

In the case of the official (and chargeable) map and software updates, generic POIs, TMC licences, etc. these are all done from the Naviextras.com website, using toolbox software that is downloadable and manages the updates.

Your own (freely downloaded) .kml POIs and Icons can be added to the SDcard using the process set out in my instructions (and after the first go it is relatively simple, especially if you have a reference set to look at the format of).

As far as the IGO and IGO Primo software is concerned, I have come to like it better than any previous navigation software I've used, and find it particularly good for POI searching, and "manipulating" routes to take a desired direction.

I believe off-line planning for IGO/Primo is possible using Google Earth, ultimately saving the route to the storage card and using it for navigation - I haven't tried it though.

IGO and Primo give you (as does most software) the option to select "Fast, Short, Economical, etc..." as the default routing option (and switch between them), but if I can't get the route I want from one of these (usually by using Economical or Green, depending on version) it is pretty easy to add waypoints "on the fly" to force a particular route.

Town Centres are often used for this (and the waypoint then (easily) cancelled just before reaching it to ensure I don't needlessly go right into the centre), but more sophistication can be achieved by selecting a location roughly on the desired route, which will pull up a map, and then the actual waypoint (maybe a by-pass rather than the town itself) can be selected by touching the map and setting the location as a waypoint (All this with navigation still running)..

It is also possible to pre-plan and store (on device) multiple routes, recalling them when required.

Just clarifying on the "User" POI thing - these POIs (say campsites - or in your case Aires ;-) ) are implemented and stored differently from those supplied along with the IGO maps, and are updated simply by copying (widely available or easily converted to) .kml data to a defined folder on the storage card as per my instructions. They will then be fully functional, and will allow navigate to, search around location, search along route, search around "here", etc.

Getting a map display of a custom Icon, and "nesting" data so you can search subsets/supersets of POIs requires a little more effort as set out in the second part of my instructions, but once mastered, is easy.

The whole process is only little more difficult than the older TomTom method of copying ov2 and bmp files to a designated folder.

Thanks again, been looking into it a bit more and looks like you can import routes as everything is held on the SD card just a case of getting them in the right folder once you have converted from gpx to kml.

Another question on POI's, does it keep them in separate groups? My new Garmin keeps them in separate folders making it much easier to use, the old one used to put them all in one folder.

Leaning towards the Clarions at the moment nicer units and better value than the Kenwoods. Also if you want DAB a separate module that fully integrates for around £120 where with the Kenwood it means buying a different head unit that's a couple of hundred quid more.

lennyhb - 2014-03-30 11:30 AM

Another question on POI's, does it keep them in separate groups? My new Garmin keeps them in separate folders making it much easier to use, the old one used to put them all in one folder.

....yes. They go as individual files in a single OS defined (the system runs on Windows CE on the head unit) folder, but the way the system sees them is dependent on the embedded kml headers in the files. Each kml file will have one or more "Folder" or "Document" headers in the markup text. IGO sees each of these headers as an individual User POI category.

So, you can have one or multiple files each with a single kml header, or one or multiple files each with multiple kml headers. The kml headers define what you see in the POI menus. The contents of these headers (i.e. what you see in the menu as the POI category title, is easily (with care) edited using notepad.

As per the second half of my instructions, if you are prepared to do a bit of work editing, you can also "nest" categories (Folders within Folders - within a single kml file).

So, I have a file with a top-level folder called "Camping EU" Within that I have a "Bordatlas" folder, an Archies Camping Folder, and a CampingCar-Infos folder these latter 2 having further folders under them for each of the Aire/Stellplatz categories.

If I'm looking for somewhere to stop, If I select "Camping EU" POIs, it lets me search by the whole lot, or at any folder level below that - allowing me to be selective.

Because I find the nesting useful, I only run with a small number of files, but they certainly can be separate (e.g. I also run with a separate "nested" Supermarkets UK file which has each of the major chains separately under a main folder, allowing me to generically search for any supermarket, or one in a designated chain).

I think one of the major drawbacks of IGO/Primo is that supplier published instructions for its use are relatively poor (though non-official information is widely available on the web). It is one of those products that rewards more as you find out more about it, and will do most if not everything that you want.

(As an example, if you have speed camera data loaded, the unit can be set to warn you, and is least annoying if you set it to warn only when speeding - which is fine unless you have out-of-date data connected to average-speed cameras, whereby it will continue to remind you ad nauseum until out of range of the erroneous data. There surely had to be a way of easily turning it off, but there is none documented except inhibiting the overall warning. By experimentation, I found that tapping the visible warning on the screen (twice on some versions) acknowledged the alert, and any repeat warning for this point was then inhibited. As I say - it does what you want, you may just have to work a bit to find the more obscure bits.)

My particular unit is the Zenec ZE-NC524, and at its current (end-of-line) price is pretty good value (though only recommended as an low-level unit). It runs IGO8 by default, and its performance is adequate rather than exciting. It has some interface niggles, but suffices for my use.

About the only Navigation issue I've got is with TMC use (I purchased a UK license, but the free services on the continent are OK). It tends to lose the TMC functionality between sessions unless navigation is fully exited and restarted. (A niggle, but not catastrophic once you know).

Thanks once again, sounds like it will do the job a treat. Sounds like if you are prepared to do a bit of work the results can be rewarding.

Was looking at a Clarion NX700E recently discontinued but can be picked up for £500 may be getting a bit dated been around since 2010, it has a motorised tilt 7" screen thinking now for longtivity a fixed screen may be better. The NX503E looks interesting but can only find German stock, I've emailed Clarion for stock info.

• 8 months later...

.....exracted from the document, (and for Primo, not IGO8)

Assuming you have a .bmp Icon that you wish to use for your set of POIs, copy it, with an appropriate name, to the file content\userdata\usericon on your device.

In order to get your set of POIs to reference it, you must edit the .kml file which contains those POIs before adding it to your device.

I can't easily post this in text following, as the forum software uses similar markup and thus revises my text, but the gist is in the picture below.........

To get Icons to display in navigation, you must set specified ones on in the POI menus in Primo. A quick test, however, is to search for a user POI, and when Primo shows you the resulting destination screen, it will also display the Icon, regardless of any navigation visibility settings.

1709172951_PrimoPOI.JPG.052411995a17046472dcbd75e841b38a.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Good work you have done there

I have a Noza Tec with IGO 9 Primo .. I followed (I believe I did, anyway) your IGO 8 Primo instructions and have got the POIs working, but even after removing the default Google icon I still am not getting the icon I have loaded ,, the icon 'bubble' just shows empty.

Any ideas please

I had to send my original unit back (stopped seeing satellites), and had forgotten I had posted before ..

Further .. I have tried both of your changes to the POI file, putting in the full path and just the BMP name (query .. should the dividers really be 'backslashes'?

It's virtually impossible to diagnose at a distance.

You shouldn't have to delete the default icon in Primo, that simply overcomes a bug in some versions of IGO8.

To step through things:

1. I assume you are seeing your POIs as a possible destination in the menus? (but no icon)

2. The editing and naming needs to be exact.

3. The text required is exactly what I show, and the only variables should be the name of each POI set, and the name of the associated Icon .bmp file (the full path isn't required/shouldn't be used for Primo)

4. In the edited text, forward slashes are used, not backslashes.

5. You must source, or create, a .bmp file for every custom icon you want to use, and these go in the designated usericon file with a name matching the inserted text in the POI file.

If you have it correct, then the POI set(s) will appear in the menu of custom places; the menu entry will show the custom icon; navigating to a POI will show the custom Icon on the destination "target" screen"; BUT, the custom icon will only show on the map when navigating if it is set to do so in the appropriate menu.

I think you just have to double-check the correctness of naming, editing, etc.

...I think you have now found it is difficult to post the text on here as the forum markup language uses similar text constructs, resulting in the text not displaying properly. (that's one reason why I've used a PDF attachment)

Your POI file text looks ok, BUT, the icon should be in the content\userdata\usericon folder, NOT with the POIs in the content\userdata\userpoi folder.

• 1 year later...

Hi, I have a "little" problem: I use iGO Primo 2.4 9.6.13.405512 with this skin diMkaWA P171. I put some *.kml's POI on the folder "H:\iGO Primo 2.4 9.6.13.405512\content\userdata\POI\" (wher H:\ is the SD card of the satnav- a PNI L807(800x480), I've downloaded some *.bmp icons and put them in "H:\iGO Primo 2.4 9.6.13.405512\content\userdata\USERICON\" (this bmp files on PC I can't open them with Paint or Quick view??Why??..i don't know because say invalid format or something). OK, after I opened with Notepad a *.kml file inside I found this (see file) where I don't see a path to a *.bmp file? Why is that?

When I open the IgoPrimo I can see in the manage POI all my POI's but when I try to attach them one of my icons from the USERICON folder only appear some ugly predefined blue baloon-type icon. In which folder are this predefined icons? - maybe to erase them >:-) Thank you, and I really tried for a week or so all the method to see my preferred icon on the map. Thanks again

GB-McDonalds_proba.txt

I'm in Sweden at the moment, with limited connectivity (but a bit of snow).

I think my post of 8th December further up the thread is the key.

The 'funny balloon' is the default icon.

To get your own icon you need to edit your poi kml file (at the document/folder level to point to it. The method is in that post.

You may have an additional problem if you can't read the bmp files you're using as Icons.

Archived