Information re Hiring out Motorhome

newuser

We have just bought our first motor home and are wondering whether or not we should hire it out when we are not using it. Has anyone tried this and if they have, do they have any advice to offer?

Apart from the obvious advantages & disadvantages, I have been told that our insurance will go sky high......is this true?

Any information appreciated.

Regards

New user

Why would you want to hire it out..I would never hire mine..it was my dream and the thought of other people and the use of my facillities ugh!!! 8o|

Would you hire your home out if you were away on holiday..if so then you are different to me but we were all made different. It is your choice but I would think that your insurance would rocket and you might also need public liability insurance..but maybe wrong

Hi Em & welcome

As stated before me, I for one would never ever contemplate hiring out my "Pride & Joy" to people.There are adverts from companies who suggest that this is a way of earning extra cash whilst your M/Home is parked up and not being used.

I suppose that it's the same as the buy to let market for homes, however, in the current financial market, you could technically make a profit by selling the house, but with a M/home that's a slightly different issue. Here you would lose money if you were to sell a M/home that was seen to be hard used and potentially with high mileage.

Finally, yes your Insurance would go sky high, and you've got to think of the return on your investment. Would you want to go away on holiday in a vehicle that had been used by people who did not have a vested interest in the vehicle.?? Just look at the hire car market as a for instance and the condition of cars that are fairly new. You will also need to see if you want to restrict the user/hirer to staying in this country, or allow them top go abroad, which could even have a further impact on your insurance premium.

Don't want to rain on your parade, and you must do what you feel is right for you, but I for one would not want to go down this path.

Thai

Thanks for the reply. We are still very much at the 'thinking' stage and probably like yourself, have had to wait a long time for our first motorhome.

Some of our ideas are better than others................. and the 'chat' room is a good way of getting other people's thoughts.

Regards

newuser

the chances of you getting insurance for hiring out your motorhome would be pretty slim as you would need self drive hire. if your insurance company found out that you were hiring out your motorhome they might cancel your policy

firms such as motorholme and hirebuddies will arrange to provide insurance and people to hire your van but they really arent bothered about who they let use it all they want is the money i spoke to someone who used one of these companies and they hired out thier van to someone who used it to house migrant workers on a farm

so beware

We hire out our Hymer through hiring agencies and the vast majority of our customers come from overseas for anything from one / four weeks. The agency take care of the insurance, so no cost to me, I take a £300 refundable damages deposit, this covers any small damages or waste tanks not emptied. Any major damage is taken care of by the insurance co. with the hirer paying the first £1250 but the agency take care of this.

The only damage we have suffered in two years is a broken rear light cluster taken care of by means of refundable cash deposit.

We hire out in June through to August as we tend not to use the van then due to school holidays and everywhere packed out and it is too hot for us in Southern Europe then.

For us it has been a success and all our customers have treated Hymie as if it was their own and normally comes back as clean as it left us.

If you would like to talk further about this please PM me.

John D.

There are lot of things that I do or do not do that upsets "The Enemy" but strangely enough hiring out the motorhome for 3 months of the year is not one of them. We both enjoy meeting new people and making new friends with some of our customers plus we are introducing new people to this leisure activity we call motorhoming.

John D.

Archived