Lap top battery charging

Tomo3090

Hi can anyone tell me whether I can just plug my lap top into the vans' electrical system using the computers AC adaptor or whether I will need a special 12 volt DC one. And if so where can I get one from?

I mean for when we are not on hook up and only using batteries.

I use an adapter I got on eBay similar to This One. I actually bought mine a year ago from a different seller but this one looks similar.

You need to ensure that one of the adapters and one of the output voltages match those required by your laptop.

I tend to charge it from my Aldi Power Station rather than the leisure battery - but only because we only have one 12 volt socket in the van and that may be required for something else.

Graham

We have a similar one to GJH and find it is excellent. You can also use it whilst travelling if you have a passenger in the rear of the cab. My Son and Grandson used it to play movies whilst we were travelling up to Disney Paris last year, it kept them occupied.

I do have an inverter that we use for the aircon and hairdryer! It is a 2000watt one, I thought if I use an anti surge plug and just plug the lap top into it using the computers own adaptor, that would work. But I am worried I might blow up the laptop! Would anyone like to try it with theirs first and see how we get on :-D

Or I might buy one of those adaptors off e-bay for 99p!

Hi Tomo

I think your fears are unfounded. Just because your inverter is capable of delivering 2000w does not mean it does so all the time.. If you plugged a 5watt light bulb in, the inverter will deliver 5 watts not 2000. If the load is a 1kW kettle the inverter delivers 1000 watts.

However.... There's inverters and inverters. Some provide kind gentle pure sine waves (alternating current (AC) is a series of positive and negative cycles of energy) and some provide a squarer waveform which is sometimes detrimental to electronic equipment.

I don't know enough about individual inverters to say which is which but I'll bet there's someone on the forum who does.

Hi Tomo,

We purchased a charger - I think my husband got it from Halfords - that plugs into the cigar lighter and has a "normal" 3 pin plug socket on the other end (I know it is an inverter but a lot cheaper than some we have seen). Now charge any battery for mobile, laptop etc. easily - normally en route with the engine running.

I've seen the one in Halfords but the guy didn't think it would work with a lap top. Now I know they can I'll go back for one. It will even do as a spare bit of kit just in case the inverter packs up, because as good vanners everywhere know, you can never carry too much kit! :-D

Thanks everyone

Hi All

Tomo, I bought an inverter from Maplins who seem to be pretty competative, 300w. In restropect, I wish I'd bought bigger one, although 300w is ample to drive my lap top, but the extra wattage could be useful some time in the future.

Alan

So far all the solutions offered have been about inverters, which have a "cigar" plug on one end and a mains-type socket on the other. This then requires carrying two bits of kit - the inverter and the mains charger you use at home.

I've found a charger from these people

http://www.laptop-chargers.co.uk/dc.htm

which does the job in one piece. I don't know if they do them for all types of laptop, but it works fine on mine - an old Acer. Takes 12v in and puts 19v out, the laptop thinks it's getting power from the mains.

And before anyone asks, no I haven't taken to carrying a laptop on holiday (regular readers have heard me on this before!). But I DO use my van as a mobile bolt-hole, so I can prepare sermons in some out-of-the-way place uninterrupted by phones and doorbells. The laptop is really useful for that - now I can keep it charged up!

Tony

Archived