Leaky camper

kurt kamper

Help

We own an autosleepers trident vw t4 camper van. Its almost 15yrs old and has developed a leak above the windscreen on the drivers side. We think its from the join of the hi top roof. THere are some 'bumper' bits on the join area above the windsrceen. The water seems to enter the van on the drivers wheel arch causing wet carpets. The water maybe running round the windscreen ?

Has anyone a similar problem ?

Guessing it just needs some sealent but where ????

Thanks

Hi Jon- If the rubber around the windscreen is 15yrs old , then go for a refit of new rubber and sealant and then be sure you will not get the same thing happen again, its not expensive for a windscreen repairers to do the job, and will stop a lot of damage to the carpets and rust to the metal. chas

Hi Kurt and welcome. When you say "the join of the high top roof" then I presume you have a g.r.p. or similar roof fitted to your van. Given the age of the van it looks has if the sealant has failed and needs replacing and possibly you have some movement between the van and roof as well.

You could try applying sealant around the suspect joins, but the correct way is to remove and replace the sealant all round.

Bit of a major job this and another alternative would be tape sealant on a roll which should provide a quick solution to the problem.

Had the same sort of problems in the past, and a quick efficient answer is a product called Sealfix Waterproof Paste. This can be brush applied under any conditions, with the only downside being that the finished surface is not the best you might hope for due to the fibre glass particles contained in the sealant itself, but it does work.

I,ve got the suppliers address around here somewhere, and if you need it then let me know and i,ll dig it up for you.

• 1 month later...

Hello

Thanks for all your help, just to let you know we had the windscreen removed to find that the windscreen surround had rusted, visit to panel shop, nicely fixed winndscreen gone back, fine now.

recomend martock panel craft in somerset and steves windscreens

Jon F

Archived