Leisure Batteries

rawhide

Hi Tromers, I have Burstner Elegance 681 ,2005 my computer for the E box warns me battery is low at 10.8 V, turn off for few minutes then is back up to 11.8 to 12.2 this all of course is when not hooked up, i have 2x 110 batteries around 30 months old. these are Lyon batteries, ever heard of them, can anyone tell me if computer is faulty or my batteries need replacing, any help appreciated. Steve

Steve,

Lion batteries are a brand stocked (exclusively?) by EuroCarparts.

http://www.eurocarparts.com/car-batteries

Are your batteries Leisure or Starter batteries?

Anyway, by what you have posted they sound like they have failed! Big style!

A failed battery will often return to a healthy looking voltage with no load but drop rapidly as soon as it is called to deliver any sort of power.

My suggestion would be to remove them from your MH and try bench charging and then load testing off the MH. Do not use your MH charger as you risk damaging it!

Keith.

We've had clear advice from a professional who repairs MH chargers that running them with dying batteries can overload them and so you end up having to pay for a charger repair as well as new batteries.  Hence the suggestion of removing the batteries, charging them fully on the bench, leave them for 24 hours then load test them separately to see what they deliver, to find out whether they are deceased.   Rig a 21 watt car indicator bulb as the test load (which draws just under 2 amps) and it should still be lit after 24 hours if the batteries are any good. 

Good batteries should last much longer than three years but the batteries might well have been neglected in storage (eg allowed to remain flat) before you got the MH and therefore have been compromised.

Buy good replacements if necessary, rather than some special offer so-called leisure battery from a caravan store.  Varta Silver are probably the lowest cost suitable ones, even though they are not specifically leisure batteries.   Also reflect on whether your pattern of using the MH will call for two big leisure batteries when one might do - no point in carrying excess weight!

Thanks Stuart, as with Keith great advice and knowledge to load up, this site is superb but since retiring 12 months ago im troming as much as poss so occasional visiter, usually when help needed, never taken for granted though and good to lean on, will do the test but sure there down,unplugged within minutes of your advice, will go for Banner batteries i think, any advice appreciated. safe troming to all out there (lol) steve

It's always worth checking battery voltages with a low priced meter....they are widely available for a fiver or so!

Some built in meters may well be accurate....some are certainly not...a 'second opinion'....by checking each individual battery is always beneficial.

rawhide - 2016-07-31 10:38 AM

Thanks Stuart, as with Keith great advice and knowledge to load up, this site is superb but since retiring 12 months ago im troming as much as poss so occasional visiter, usually when help needed, never taken for granted though and good to lean on, will do the test but sure there down,unplugged within minutes of your advice, will go for Banner batteries i think, any advice appreciated. safe troming to all out there (lol) steve

Hi Steve,

I have just changed my Banner battery a few months ago. My battery was only about ten months old and working well but as I wanted to fit a second I made enquiries on here and was pointed in the direction of Varta LFD batteries as an alternative. A and N Caravans gave the advice (they have a very good technical page in their website discussing various batteries) that I should change the Banner because it was fitted inside the habitation area and was not vented to the outside but that type of battery can gas off quite a bit and therefore needs topping up regularly. This was difficult to do as it was fitted beneath the passenger seat which would have to be removed to carry this out.

Consequently, I bought two Varta LFD90 batteries (other sizes are available) from Tayna at a price that was not dissimilar to the alternatives. Apart from the fact that they are zero maintenance A and N advised that the technology employed allows them to be discharged lower, more often, recharged quicker and deliver more power. They are certainly worth a look.

David

Archived