Lunar Roadstar 620 on Fiat Ducato 2.8 2006 model

tp002c784tp002c784tp

Hi All

I am having trouble with my windsreen washers on my Fiat Ducato 2.8 jtd 2006 model, when I try the washers it is a feeble squirt 6 inches up the screen. I have checked the jets and they are not blocked and are adjusted correct, I have disconnected the pipe going to the jets and have blown down to the bottle and it does not seem to be blocked also the same to the jets.

I have studied the washer bottle and cannot seem to find how it comes off the vehicle, I think I may have to take the headlight off ? I am assuming that the washer motor is not working to its full capacity but I think the motor is at the back of the bottle and means the bottle would have to come right off.

Has any member encountered this problem and do they have a cure or is there any easy way to get at the motor?

I have seen numerous bottles with the washer motors on Flea Bay and they are not expensive if I am looking at the right bottle,

Would be gratefull for any help of the forum.

Terry.

I’m guessing that the windscreen-washer bottle and pump appropriate for your Ducato will be as shown here

http://tinyurl.com/ohh55xz

http://tinyurl.com/ocf8pfj

All the bottle does is provide a reservoir for the washer-fluid, so (as long as the bottle is not damaged) there should be no need to replace it.

If all the jets are squirting water on to the windscreen with similar power, it’s fair to assume that the problem would lie either in the tubing leading from the bottle (which you say you’ve checked) or with the pump that’s fixed to the bottle.

As the pump is clearly functional, the lack of ‘oomph' may simply be due to the pump’s intake (within the bottle) being partially blocked or that there’s debris within the pump itself. Alternatively the pump may be on its last legs. Whatever the cause, you’ll need to remove the pump to check/clean/replace it.

Hopefully the advice in this 2010 forum thread will be relevant to your motorhome

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Info-on-fitting-a-new-windscreen-washer-pump/18167/

Hi Derek

Thank you very much for the info. the main problem I had was how to get at the motor or take of the bottle.

As I have no water leaks I can only assume it may be down to foreign matter, or as we say up north crap. The old thread is very helpfull, I just need to slide my wife underneath and the jobs done, I joke you can imagine the comment I would get if I asked her to do it.. The ebay price for a new pump is also very good if the pump is the same as mine. I did do a search for any old threads on the sbject but could not find any.

I will let you know how I get on with the repair when the snows gone.

Terry

This is a general trouble-shooting guide (though I think you’ve already tried most of the methods suggested)

http://www.wikihow.com/Troubleshoot-a-Windshield-Washer-Pump

If you do need to replace the pump, you will need to be careful about gettiing the right replacement. On-line adverts suggest that the one I gave an ebay link to should fit, but I wouldn’t swear to it. If you can reach the pump without removing any bits and pieces, you should be able to remove it from the bottle straightforwardly and, once it was off the bottle, you’d be able to see how it compares with what’s being advertised.

You might try siphoning the fluid out of the washer-bottle and then (assuming it’s practicable) shoving a garden-hose as far into the bottle as you can and see if blasting water into the bottle helps. If there’s crap around the pump’s inlet, this might dislodge it. It would be a recipe for getting very wet, but it might work.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

I was very gratfull for the advce given about my problem with my w/washers, I was not convinced that the pump was faulty plus it has been too cold to crawl underneath the vehicle, Yesterday it was a bit warmer so I decided to have another look at my problem. I confirmed that the pump is at the front of the water bottle behind the front bumper and I decided i could remove it once jacked up, I started by making sure that the jets where not blocked, I then removed some of the soundproofing under the bonnet and inspected the tubing. I removed the main tube from the water bottle at the junction of the washer jets I got my assistant to put on her duffle coat and worked the washer lever the water squirted half way down the street this convinced me that the pump was working well. After inspecting the tubing and blowing through I realised that they where not blocked this left only the what I would call the tee junction but it's actually y shaped I removed this from the vehicle and blew through this and this was also clear, after much head scratching I decided as my wife has a Fiat punto to look at her system, It was almost the same I removed the Tee piece and much to my surprise I could not blow through this one I assembeled this one on my Ducato and much to my surprise It worked perfectly, not quite convinced I put the one of the motorhome on her car and it would not work.

I do not know what the restriction in this tee piece is but it should be there i also do not know where the restriction out of the Ducato tee piece has gone, another mystery.

Because of the fact I can not obtain many sares from local Fiat dealers I just went to my local scrap yard, I took two off Puntos as i did not think I would find a Ducato but i did so got the right one as the Ducato tee piece has a different angled conection point to the Punto.

With the three tee pieces a new ashtray and plastic plugs to refit the sound proofing under the bonnet £3 not a bad repair, but if someone told me that the fault would be The Tee piece I would have not believed them.

A very sattisfied

Terry

tp002c784tp002c784tp - 2015-02-21 5:17 PM

...I do not know what the restriction in this tee piece is but it should be there i also do not know where the restriction out of the Ducato tee piece has gone, another mystery...

Terry

Now that you’ve mentioned the “Y-piece”, a GOOGLE-search indicates that other Fiat owners have had windscreen-washer problems due to this item becoming faulty.

This advert is for a generic Fiat Y-shaped non-return washer valve (there are other designs):

http://www.ricambio.co.uk/69-fiat/99-ducato-/1543-washer-one-way-valve-3-way---fiat-alfa-romeo

Its purpose is to prevent washer fluid from draining back into the washer bottle.

As you were able to blow through your Ducato’s Y-piece, but the washer-jets would only deliver a feeble squirt of fluid, it’s liklely that the non-return valve in the Y-piece has not only failed but, in doing so, is also partially obstructing the washer fluid’s flow.

As you now have a stock of Y-pieces, you might try cutting up the failed one to see what’s inside.

Hi Derek & Pjay

The " Y " piece as what we will now call it is quite elabarate in the sense it has a round section sort of a cap at the middle of the straight piece and the y section this cap turns around but does not come off, as soon as i discovered that there should be a restriction inside the unit I slowly turned around the cap a little a time whilst blowing through the straight tube, I could not find a spot that restored the restriction, i will as Derek suggests force of this cap and see whats inside if there is nothing to see like I said before where has this restiction gone. It seems amazing that the amount of Ducatos on the road it would have happened to another one of our fraternaty of Motorhomers, Or how many Ducatos have gone into a shady garage with this problem and have been charged for a new pump or more.

I will report my findings when I have dissected the faulty part or I may even have to sacrifice one of my new parts now that I know the Punto unit would do, the only difference between the two is the angle of the straight that the hose from the bottle fits on but it would not cause any problem.

Terry

This 2006 MHFacts thread

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/forum-printtopic-1-20609-0-0-asc-viewresult-1.html

mentions the Y-piece fitting and Cowly’s posting of Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:15 pm describes what’s inside it and, if the one-way valve fails, how it might be repaired.

A GOOGLE search on "windscreen washer non-return valve” suggests that it should be anticipated that all windscreen-washer systems will include such a valve and (as there are plenty of adverts for them) that failure is fairly common.

I can’t say I was aware that there’d be a valve in the washer tubing (though it’s perfectly logical that there should once one knows that valves are fitted there!) as the only time a vehicle of mine has had windscreen-washer problems was in the 1960s. My first car (A Turner kit-car) had windscreen washers vacuum-powered from the motor’s inlet manifold. A valve in the system failed and all the fluid in the washer-bottle disappeared into the motor. If I remember correctly, I discarded the vacuum system and replaced it with a pump behind the dashboard that could be operated manually. Whatever I did, I’m sure it was cheap and a bodge-up as I was skint and mechanically fearless back then.

Hi Derek

I looked at the thread you suggested and the poster said the it was a piece of latex as washer for the none return valve. I stripped my broken one done last night there is a round post that is at the intersection of the straight and Y section, this post has a cap on the top and you can see that it has a joining, I managed to lever this cap off and inside is a plunger with a coil spring, this plunger presses down on a shaped cup washer this is a quite an elaberate well made washer and not just a piece of latex I will try and photograph it and see if I can post all the bits.

I was curious on the price of this Y piece so I telephoned a local Fiat dealer and as expected they did not have one in but it was priced at £6.84, For all these would be mass produced I dont know how they can make this part so cheap

Terry

Archived