MaxView Satellite Systems

Way2Go

Hi experts,

I'm thinking of installing a satellite system in my motorhome and have narrowed it down to probably the MaxView range.

I'm after something that's better than a tripod system but not as expensive as the £3,000 dome systems and the £300 - £400 MaxView systems seem a good buy.

I think I've narrowed it down to the Ominsat Manual Crank-up B2590 (see picture) and wondered if anyone has any experience of this model (good or bad).

We currently have freeview via a through-the-roof Status aerial on a pole, in the wardrobe, which I may keep in case we wouldn't get a satellite signal.

The choice appears to be :-

1. Keep the freeview system and install the 'Crank-up' (no pole required) in the cupboard above the fridge (second hole cut in roof) . . . . or

2. Replace the existing through-the-roof Status pole and use the existing hole in the roof to install an Omnisat Semitronic B2555 (pole required)

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

W2G

2092067665_MaxViewB2590.jpg.2bcc28378a85ccad3d4ec429ea5912c8.jpg

Hi W2G,

I installed the max view B2590 to my swift last year its straight forward to install and works well. It is best to mount it some where along the centre roof line if poss, It needs about 80cm clearance all round from the centre of the mounting plate. The installation instructions are easy to follow I put a good seam of sikoflex mastic under the mounting plate as well as the fixing screws, the cable I routed through the wardrobe to an a satalite arial connector mounted next to the TV point. It is easy to set up, the chart supplied with it gives the various elevations for Europe, I have used mine in the UK and France and as long as ther have been no obstructions in the way I have always had a good signal.I am very satisfied with it. Good luck with it

regards Geoff

I also use a Maxview Crank-up for the simple reason that I could not justify the cost of an automatic system.

This is the second one I have purchased because of a van change. They are easy to fit DIY, but there must be sufficient roof space for the dish to swing. Like Geoff I used Sikaflex to secure to the roof with only one screw at each corner of the mounting plate. The roof junction box supplied was not used because I utilised the junction box already there for the soloar panel.

Whilst the unit is quite easy to set up for viewing the elevation indicator is a little bit vague, especially if your van is not quite level. This however is not a major problem.

Your other expense will be a satellite receiver box because your "free view" will not work with the dish. Maxview do a small 12v version ( which is pre-programmed for a number of satellites, with a built in "Sat-finder". It will not accept a Sky card. The box is badge engineered and it is possible to get the same thing cheaper elsewhere. I chose the Maxview version because it came complete with an infra-red eye which can be placed perminently outside of the cupboard where the sat. receiver is fitted. The remote control can then be used with the cupboard door closed.

I have used the system in France down to the Spanish border and across into Germany with no problems. Would advise keeping your existing system because occassionally you cannot receive a satellite signal if parked under trees or a tall building.

Camos also now make a crank-up. It has a smaller roof footprint and is not so high when folded down. Dave Newell supplies and fits them.

Bonjour Way2Go, where have you been?

We have a Maxview Semitronic which was already installed on our current van and it is brilliant. We had a Teleco Crankup on our previous van and it was a nightmare. We have never been anywhere here that we have not been able to get a satellite signal. I think they are about £400 in the UK at the moment and are worth every penny. I also printed out the elevation settings from the Maxview website and have stuck it on the inside of the wardrobe door. We just use a cheap £39 Maplins digibox as well and this gets all the channels we want. Once you have scanned for the channels you require to start with, save them and all that is needed is to set the dish up so that it receives Sky News, when we get that we know that we will get all the other channels. You don't need to re-scan. Does that make sense? We got fed up of moving the Sky box from the house.

Sylvia

Many thanks for the feedback John, there is some good valuable information there . . . .

JohnP - 2009-04-19 11:59 . . . Maxview do a small 12v version . . . the box is badge engineered and it is possible to get the same thing cheaper elsewhere. I chose the Maxview version because it came complete with an infra-red eye which can be placed perminently outside of the cupboard where the sat. receiver is fitted.

I've been looking at the 'Badged' versions and it looks like it will do nicely. Maplins currently have it for sale at £39.99 without the 'magic eye' (which I need). I've noticed that you can buy a 'magic eye' seperately (between £5 - £10) which connects into the coax cable but they all refer to Sky boxes and I'm not sure whether they would work with the MaxView receiver. Can you possibly tell me what the 'magic eye' connection is on the MaxView receiver as it doesn't appear to have an RF out connection. The TV connection appears to only be via a scart plug?

Kind regards

W2G

Randonneur - 2009-04-19 12:53 PM Bonjour Way2Go, where have you been? . . . We just use a cheap £39 Maplins digibox as well and this gets all the channels we want. Sylvia

Bonjour Sylvia,

I'm still around but busy with stuff.  Thank you for your comments and advice.  I appreciate your advice and will go for the Maplin one if John can provide me with the 'magic eye' info.

The satellite receiver will need to stored in a cupboard but I'll still need to change channels via some sort of 'magic eye'.  All the ones I've seen use an RF (aerial) connection but the Maplin receiver doesn't have an RF connection.

The MaxView is the only version that I've seen offered with a 'magic eye' despite the same box being 'badged' by 3 or 4 people.  I really need to know how the MaxView 'magic eye' connects to the box before I can order the box.

It would be a pity to pay £99.99 for the MaxView one when I can get the same thing for £39.99 from Maplin (assuming I can sort out the 'magic eye' problem).

Kind regards

W2G

Yes, this is the problem with the Maplins box, I enquired about using a 'Magic Eye' when we ordered it but they said it couldn't be done, so we have it stood on the pull-out TV bracket and just pull it out about an inch and using the remote it changes channels with no problem. Our television is too wide for the TV cabinet so we utilise this for the digibox and the inverter.

Hi

The Maxview is pre-programmed for

Astra 19 E

Hotbird 13 E

Turksat 42 E

Siriuss 5 E

Amos 4 W

Astra1 28 E

EutelsatW3A 7 E

Atlantic Bird3 5W

HispaSat 30 W

HellasSat 39E

Eutel W2 16 E

I think that the Maplins version only has on scart socket and no infra red.

The infra-red connection is a small jack plug mark IR-IN on picture attached

maxview.jpg.26e0d27b488814f660fbae47a234f1ba.jpg

Excellent post John, just what I wanted to see.  I spent hours looking for this on the net yesterday - without success.  Despite the model appearing in various guises, only the MaxView MXL020 version appears to have the IR and RF connections and comes with a 'magic eye'.  The Maplin one doesn't have the IR or RF connections and only has a scart connection to the TV so no way of adding a 'magic eye'.

I understand the other guises include the Maplin one, Comag SL65-12 and Silvercrest.

Thank you for the diagram and info John - very much appreciated.  Looks like I need to get the MaxView one then, pity I have to spent twice as much but I really do need to have the little blighter tucked away in the cupboard.

Kind regards

W2G

Hi Way2 Go, could I ask what made your decision to choose the Maxview over say the Globesat which would replace your through the roof aerial directly?

I only ask as I was looking myself and am still undecided between the Globesat and the Maxview though erring towards the Globesat due to its lower price and its design giving a much more streamlined appearance plus there is no 'large' dial inside the van, which I must say I find a bit off putting.

Bas

Basil - 2009-04-20 10:30 PM Hi Way2 Go, could I ask what made your decision to choose the Maxview over say the Globesat which would replace your through the roof aerial directly? I only ask as I was looking myself and am still undecided between the Globesat and the Maxview though erring towards the Globesat due to its lower price and its design giving a much more streamlined appearance plus there is no 'large' dial inside the van, which I must say I find a bit off putting. Bas

Hi Bas, I was in two minds about whether to keep or replace the existing Freeview setup using the through-the-roof Status aerial in the wardrobe.

I've now decided to keep the current system as a backup for those times when I cannot get a satellite signal, therefore, I'm going to fit a crank-up satellite through the roof in the cupboard above the fridge which happends to be in the same cupboard as the Freeview stuff so no rewiring and both red 'magic eyes' will sit next to each other like a hungover alien!

I did look at the Globesat but didn't like the look of it or the extra 12" it would add to the roof height.  Having said that, the 60cm dish apparently gives the performance of an 80cm dish which should be useful if you are close to the edge of the satellite footprint.

I did notice there was a lot of discussion on another forum http://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftopic-42269.html if that helps you ;-)

Having known nothing about the subject I have spent hours and hours researching on the internet and, apart from the help and advice in this thread, have been disappointed in the cheap way that shops market their goods.

They all seem to go to the original source and copy and paste the description into their advert.  The only difference is a few pence difference in price.  I've even seen the same spelling mistake reproduced time after time.  It's almost like asking 10 strangers what they think of a Ford Focus and they all give the same answer word-for-word . . . . frustrating.

W2G

Just a thought.

Suggest you consider the positioning of the dish carefully. It is an advantage if you can see all of the controls easily. Mounting the unit in a cupboard may make this difficult. Depends on the size of cupboard opening, your height and how much light there is.

More important if the cupboard is shallow you may not be able to mount the controls in the said cupboard without the dish overhanging the side of the van when in the lowered position for travelling.

The dish lies towards the back of the van for this.

Thanks for that John I've taken your comments on-board.

The cupboard is small but well lit.  My motorhome is in storage so I need to pop over to measure up space etc.  I also need to carefully look at where I propose it will sit before drilling any holes.

Thanks for the tips ;-)

Archived