Microswitch

howie

Hi. The tap on the sink unit stopped working over the weekend and assume this is down to the microswitch. No problems I can see with the wiring or water supply and the tap in the shower works as well so nothing wrong with pump either.

Access will mean removing the whole basin, something i,m reluctant to do, and what I would like to know is if the switch is a intergral part of the tap or located elsewhere, or would the easier option be to simply wire in a separate switch which would be relatively easy to do and should I anticipate any problems before I begin. Thanks.

How the micro-switches are integrated into the tap (and how easy they are to replace) depends on the make/design of the tap. (There's a section on this in John Wickersham's "The Motorcaravan Manual" that I can strongly recommend to all forum members experienced or otherwise.)

Can't really see any problems in your plan to 'wire round' the failed micro-switch, but it's a bit of a bodge and, if other taps go the same way, you are going to end up with a lot of separate switches!

It would be helpful to know make/model/year of your motorhome in case someone else can comment specifically.

The picture shows a 'Reich single lever mixer' Derek which looks the same as the one i,ve got. According to the write up on the web the microswitch and cartridges can be accessed from the top without removing the tap itself, but after having a quick look can find no obvious way of doing this. (Can the lever be gently prised off perhaps ?).

Wired up the pump temporarily and everything works fine, but agree that its best to do the job correctly. Thanks.

I think the taps on my Hobby are Reich-made and the one fitted to the kitchen-sink matches the photo you provided. As you say, it seems that some Reich taps have top-accessible micro-switches/cartridges, but I'm not sure if that applies to this model (a Reich "Twist"?). Its design is compact and, because of this, I would expect the micro-switches to be attached to the tap's base rather than being get-attable from above. I've always assumed that would be the case, but I can't say I've looked too closely at my Hobby's tap. I'd certainly be careful experimenting with disassembly as these taps don't seem to be very robust construction-wise.

Might be worth you contacting a Reich supplier like LeisureShopDirect (www.leisureshopdirect.com) to check if they know the answer and can supply micro-switch fitting instructions. If your tap is a "Twist", then the micro-switch unit seems to cost about £9 and, presumably, will come with guidance on how to fit it. (If you do find out how to get the thing apart, I'd be interested to learn what's involved.)

Perhaps worth adding that there are fold-down taps from other manufacturers that look very similar to the Reich product.

No luck finding a way to remove the top end of the tap Derek so phoned my local dealers who carry out the annual habitation checks. Earliest they could fit me in is almost a month, but they did suggest that if I could drop the tap off they could repair or replace within a day or two which I now plan to do.

Did,nt want to remove the whole sink, but should,nt be to difficult, and if I feel getting the microswitch out is beyond me then i,ll take the sink/tap to be seen to. Price on a new tap is about £65, but with a bit of luck its simply replacing the switch. Thanks for your help and much appreciated.

I eventually found a photo of a Reich "Twist" chrome-finished tap in CAK's 2008 catalogue and this matches your picture. Besides the photo of the complete tap CAK's catalogue shows a small picture of the tap's control-lever that suggests that this has a removable 'cover' that might be used to gain access to the ceramic cartridge and (perhaps) the micro-switches. However, if you can get someone with experience to look at your tap, I'm sure it would be sensible to take that route. Incidentally, CAK's catalogue price (Feb 2008) for a "Twist" was £43.31 (+ P&P)

Nothing there Graham, only a transfer indicating hot and cold. Sink and tap now at dealers and should be ready Monday. Let you know how much and what was involved but the fitter confirmed that access to switch is from the base.

Archived