Mixer Tap - water weep?

John  Anne

We have a mono-bloc mixer tap which has, for no apparent reason, developed a slight weep from the joint around where the tap neck connects to the tap body. I will attach a photo which shows the exact spot highlighted by a red arrow.

I have stripped the tap down and removed the ceramic cartridge so that I could inspect the internal brass fittings for any obvious damage, but everything looks fine? I know for sure that the culprit is not frost damage because the system was fully drained down and the interior of the motorhome was kept heated throughout the winter and the internal temperature never fell below 5 degrees.

When stripping the tap down I did notice that the chamber which holds the ceramic cartridge was full of water, which seems wrong to me? Therefore I was wondering if it is the ceramic cartridge which is at fault. I have also attached a photo of the cartridge.

Has anyone out there experienced the same problem? and did you find a cure?

I am debating trying to source a new ceramic cartridge and trying that before splashing out (excuse the pun) on a new tap at £75+ :-(

Any help or advice would be, as always, much appreciated.

Thank you :-)

1925377335_FoxyMixerTap1.jpg.6be68b289fbaa738396803cbe59def6c.jpg

516376092_FoxyMixerTapCartridge.jpg.5c76fb902f0d140de63840095e8a1b57.jpg

Not familiar with the tap you have, but would guess the swivel relies on rubber "O" rings to seal. These can harden or wear with time, so replacing the ring/s may give a fix. Packs of rings from many DIY stores in a variety of sizes, but you'll probably need to remove those from the tap to get the right size and diameter. A small amount of silicone lubricant as used for rubber sealed push fit PVC drain pipe seals (Try Marley pipe lubricant or similar at a builders merchant) will help reassembly without pinching the O ring.

Thank you for the quick replies so far.

Brian, you are quite correct in thinking that the swivel tap neck relies on rubber seals to provide water tightness. I did take the opportunity to check these two seals whilst the tap was stripped down and they both looked fine, but I appreciate that they may have lost some of their effectiveness during the 6+ years that they have been in place.

I also noticed that the seals are not a standard 'O' ring profile. They are flat backed and have, what can be described as, a 'stepped' front face. I suspect that these will have to be sourced from the manufacturer spares list or somewhere such as CAK Tanks?

It would seem that my tap is a Ducale single lever mixer tap - but I'm not 100% sure on this?

Still open to help and advice from anyone who may have the benefit of past experience on this one??

"Ducale" model taps are marketed by the German company Comet

http://www.comet-pumpen.de/en/products-rv/fittings/made-off-brass/single-lever-mixers/ducale.html

If the tap were leaking from the spout, a new cartridge would probably be required. As it's leaking from the swivel-joint, it's more likely that (as Brian suggests) a rubber seal needs replacing.

Quite a few on-line companies offer Ducale taps, but I don't know how many stock seals. You might try Marcle Leisure or Leisureshopdirect

Thank you to everyone who responded to my request for help and advice.

I'm happy to report that by pure chance, whist visiting Aldi today with my better half, I spotted an offer of half price kitchen mixer taps - reduced from £19.99 to £9.99. On further inspection I could see that they were virtually identical to the one in question, so I thought for that price I would take a chance and bought one.

This afternoon I fitted my bargain purchase and am pleased to say that it went in place just perfectly, even the existing flexible stainless steel hot and cold water connectors screwed directly into the new tap! The new tap has been tested under pressure this afternoon and evening and it works perfectly :-) If anything it is better than the original because it has a slightly longer reach on the outlet spout.

So all in all we are very happy to have found an economical solution to a small but annoying problem that could not be ignored, especially when I requested a price from the MH manufacturer for a like for like replacement, the quote was over £93 delivered including vat :'(

Happy days!

Thanks again

John & Anne.

Just needed a new cartridge, standard replaceable item you can get form most caravan shops for around £10. Actually have one sitting right next to me just now.

example.... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/35mm-Lever-Mixer-Tap-Ceramic-Cartridge-Valve-SC35-/390685366599?pt=UK_HomeGarden_Kitchen_SinksTaps_GL&hash=item5af6a99947

You get different sizes which is the diameter...25, 35 and 40mm. Most I have seen are 35mm in caravan taps. Ask any Caravan.Motorhome accessory shop for a CT901 and they will know exactly what you mean.

Brambles - 2014-04-23 4:18 PM

Just needed a new cartridge, standard replaceable item you can get form most caravan shops for around £10. Actually have one sitting right next to me just now.

example.... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/35mm-Lever-Mixer-Tap-Ceramic-Cartridge-Valve-SC35-/390685366599?pt=UK_HomeGarden_Kitchen_SinksTaps_GL&hash=item5af6a99947

You get different sizes which is the diameter...25, 35 and 40mm. Most I have seen are 35mm in caravan taps. Ask any Caravan.Motorhome accessory shop for a CT901 and they will know exactly what you mean.

Hi Brambles,

Thanks for the detailed info and contacts. Unfortunately a new ceramic cartridge would not have resolved my problem, I tried a new one which a neighbour loaned me but it made no difference. The problem is with the rubber 'O' ring seals that sit at the top and bottom of the revolving spout fitting.

Thanks again

John & Anne.

Hi All,

We have been having the same problem with a leak from the spout part and body of tap. Tried washers, still leaks, bought ceramic thing that goes inside and it still leaks. The tap appears to be the most expensive type Reich swan neck I am going to Peterboro show tomorrow and look for a cheaper tap. I am not willing to pay £100 on a tap. The tap in the bathroom is different and in fact would be better. All down to size I think.

Another question. I have a 2006 hymer, fabric is blue striped, anybody know where I can buy fabric the same. Anybody know the name of it.

Thanks

Tomo.

Tomo - 2014-04-25 8:21 PM

Hi All,

We have been having the same problem with a leak from the spout part and body of tap. Tried washers, still leaks, bought ceramic thing that goes inside and it still leaks. The tap appears to be the most expensive type Reich swan neck I am going to Peterboro show tomorrow and look for a cheaper tap. I am not willing to pay £100 on a tap. The tap in the bathroom is different and in fact would be better. All down to size I think.

Another question. I have a 2006 hymer, fabric is blue striped, anybody know where I can buy fabric the same. Anybody know the name of it.

Thanks

Tomo.

Hi Tomo,

Might be worth trying a Aldi tap as I have. Have a look in an Aldi store if you have one near you? I was very lucky because their tap was a perfect fit replacement for the original.

Good luck.

John & Anne - 2014-04-25 7:43 PM

Brambles - 2014-04-23 4:18 PM

Hi Brambles,

Thanks for the detailed info and contacts. Unfortunately a new ceramic cartridge would not have resolved my problem, I tried a new one which a neighbour loaned me but it made no difference. The problem is with the rubber 'O' ring seals that sit at the top and bottom of the revolving spout fitting.

Thanks again

John & Anne.

Just for future reference, and others, you can easily get new 'O' rings from many bearings or hydraulic industrial suppliers. There are also many selling on ebay and there is a good company in Dundee who sells on Ebay. Also plumbers merchants may have. 'O' rings cost pennies and many hardware DIY shops will keep a selection.

Tomo - 2014-04-25 8:21 PM

...Another question. I have a 2006 hymer, fabric is blue striped, anybody know where I can buy fabric the same. Anybody know the name of it.

Thanks

Tomo.

I believe you own a Hymer Signo 100. I've attached a photo of the interior of one of these motorhomes that has blue-striped fabric just in case a forum member can recognise it. (If that's not what your motorhome has, you'll need to provide a photo yourself.)

A lot of the furnishing fabric used in motorhomes and caravans is manufactured in Belgium and, while it's usually practicable to obtain extra fabric when the model is actually being produced and for a while afterwards, the chances of you obtaining an exact match in 2014 for a 2006 vehicle are very small. You could try Hymer itself or the Hymer Club, but I think you'll be out of luck.

I owned a 1996-built Herald motorhome from 1998 to 2004. I wanted a smallish piece of matching furnishing fabric for it and managed to identify the Belgian manufacturer. However they had none and I eventually found a few off-cuts that had been languishing on the shelves of the UK company that had upholstered Herald cab-seats. Having learnt my lesson, when I bought the Hobby I asked for a couple of metres of fabric to be provided just in case I needed it in the future.

HYMER_b544_signo100.jpg.59df57cd7b3447c1c9588ba4b51b13b1.jpg

Brambles - 2014-04-23 7:04 PM

Just ordered two of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008K1WU9K to have as spares.

UPDATE. Just recieved these, DON'T bother buying from them, they are the wrong cartridges and not high flow ones. They say they are CT901 but are not. They are for use on higher pressure systems not low pressure so flow will be drastically reduced. Going to get back to them because desription on amazon page is wrong.

• 1 month later...
John & Anne - 2014-04-21 8:16 PM

I also noticed that the seals are not a standard 'O' ring profile. They are flat backed and have, what can be described as, a 'stepped' front face.

A bit late now as you have resolved the problem but I suspect that when new the 'O' rings in your tap were just that - round 'O's - and although they may look perfect now as in undamaged the fact that they are no longer round would be more than enough to allow water to leak because the rings are no longer under compression.

Archived