Motorhome covers

euroanchor

I park my Hymer in the factory i run, but still have a big problem with dust, after looking at some factory made covers which cost well over £100, i decided to make my own. 1 trip to the local cash and carry, returning with a 24 x 18 tarp,plus 2 6 x8 tarps ,plus a roll of gaffer tape totalling £18, i proceeded to put the large one over the width of the van and taped the other smaller ones at either end. i then used those green plastic eyelet things to permanently join the peices (leave the gaffer tape on as well. Result : 1 extremely cheap but highly effective cover that works as well indoors as out, you can also use the eyelets you've fitted to bungie the cover down.Its also very light so one person can fit it quite easily, and there is no weight as such to damage rooftop fitments. P.S. pigeon poo washes off it really easy as well. :D :D

Just a word of warning, if anyone intends to do this for a 'van that is kept outside, it could do serious damage to the bodywork - it will rub and chaffe on the panels and the windows and probably make it sweat under the cover as well. I would've said this is really only suitable for 'vans kept indoors to be safe.

I agree with Mel. Covers can be a real problem due to chafing and rubbing. A few members in my group have tried covers and soon stopped using then. At one time it was suggested that the windows were covered with cling film to prevent chafing. DO NOT do this it will react with the plastic from which the windows are made and the film is almost impossible to remove. If your van is stored inside then perhaps you can cover the roof just to keep the pidgeon ..... off. I certainly would not put one over my Hymer. It has to stand outside. Balancing on steps is not one of my prefered occupations. How long does it take to put your cover on and is it a one man job?

Geez fellers, lighten up with the critisisms. it was intended to show that you CAN make yourself a lo-cost dust cover for your van, the material used in the covers is lightweight polyprop not the old fashioned, heavy tarpaulins used on lorries,it's loose enough to allow air to circulate, boxes,air con unit etc, keep it clear of the roof and provide air space and the wing mirrors keep the material off the side windows at the front, suction cup fittings (eg kitchen roll holders) keep it off the other windows.bungies keep it from flapping about, and it ends about 18 inches from the bottom of the body. My wife and I hold a broom handle attached to the two front corners and walk it over the van. I find it works extremely well and causes no problems for me in the conditions I use it in. I assumed that most people would know you would have to take extra precautions when using a home made cover if used outside,so didn't state the obvious, but obviously I was wrong, statements like those made in the first two replies are patronising and un-neccessary, and are also the main reason people are reluctant to post on forums such as these. All I can say is that if anybody does not think this tip is suitable for them, then please dont make your own cover, however, there is no need to post replies stating why, as most readeres will have the good sense to make their own mind up.

euroanchor None of my postings are meant to be patronising - helpful, informative, plain daft or stupid - yes ... patronising - no, not one of my ways. Why you thought it patronising though is a mystery to me. There are some people who wouldn't have any knowledge of the problems that covering a van outside could cause and I'd rather warn them to be careful, even if some feel it is blatantly obvious. Yes, I think it's a very good idea that you've come up with (NOT meant to be patronising) but some people don't think too deeply about things before doing them, I'd rather be accused of being patronising than have someone inadvertently ruin the paintwork on their van. Whether we want to post replies or not to postings, whatever they are about, is up to us to decide, whether anyone takes our views on board is up to them. Interesting comments about people not wanting to post on forums, on some maybe, but the users of this one have always been quite well behaved in that regard in my view. Postings are what keeps this forum 'alive', whatever they are, whether they agree with the poster or not, whether they are just plain daft or seriously sensible. I think the balance on this forum is just right, others may disagree but that's their privilege and right - if not, then I don't think we'd have a much fun as we all do and wouldn't keep coming back for more of the same!!! Take a look at some of the other postings when you get a minute, if you haven't already, some are just plain daft .. but they certainly make you chuckle.

In no way was I trying to be critical or patronisng. For all I know you are a novice in the world of motorhomes. Surely some basic comment and pointing out the pitfalls is not unreasonable. Rather that than a damaged van. A lot of people do read and post on this forum so it is certainly popular and in the main informative. One does not have to take any advice which is posted here.

• 2 weeks later...
Right fuss pots - we have used a Protec cover every winter. There is no damage to our good quality Italian van. And it isn't washed before we do it. Well not since we left Tescos 10 miles away. No damage - no sondensation. Blasted mice still get in though. So it suits us.

• 1 month later...
[QUOTE]djchapple - 2006-09-24 7:59 PM I think eurancor should take his own advice and lighten up. I am sure all the replies were made in good faith and i am also sure than many of the newer motorhomers like me would not be aware of the downside to using covers.[/QUOTE] And exactly how did you feel this posting would contribute positively to "Hints and Tips " or are you just trying to get your post count up ?

If you use a cover outside it must be made of breathable material like Tyvek as most of the comercial ones are. If anybody has seen a car that has been covered with a polypropylene coiver they would not use one outside. The paint blisters alarmingly and is destroyed. I also agree that any cover will chaffe the body work and remove Gel coat as the wind blows it around. I know this as a fact because it happened to my ex caravan in one season.

hi euroanchor this is a hint or tip on posting. with an attitude like yours - don't bother if you can't take constructive comments. just because you think your cover is wonderful the rest of the world doesn't have to agree. the 2 posts after yours were very helpful to anyone who has just bought a MH and was going to rush off and follow your example not realising the possible pitfalls if used in different circumstances. congratulations on your initiative & money saving. i just wish i was as practical. mike

Once again, I refer you to my previous post, your reply was personal and uneccessary,but as always double standards exist throughout this forum, as they do everywhere else. Would it be ok to tell another poster "you should have known better than to put a polyprop cover on a caravan" ? No of course it wouldn't, This section is supposed to be for hints and tips concerning motorhomes, not for snide remark about whether I should post here. If people took the time to read my original thread properly, they would have read the following exerts [QUOTE]euroanchor - 2006-08-02 12:54 PM . I find it works extremely well and causes no problems for me in the conditions I use it in. All I can say is that if anybody does not think this tip is suitable for them, then please dont make your own cover, however, there is no need to post replies stating why, as most readeres will have the good sense to make their own mind up. [/QUOTE] I also made a comment about users being put off posting on this forum because of the constant diving in and thread hijacking taking the thread away from the original subject. And it's happened right here, For the record, I dont have a problem with anybody replying to anything I post,as long as it's relevant and I certainly dont have an "attitude" So, if you live by your own standards, there will be no need to reply to this,because after all, "if you dont want to hear replies from people, dont make a posting "

• 10 months later...
There are some very good points raised on this thread. A fitted cover is essential, if not the issues of movement and scratching will occur. If the cover is not breathable then you will cause more damage than good. Your motorhome will be kept clean but the amount of damage caused by condensation will be far more severe. Tyvek is not UV protected and perishes in no time at all. The fitting of certain covers are bound to be difficult but this will be affected by the size if the van, obviously certain sized vans will take more time than others but we have to accept that some vans are huge and an easy fitting will be affected by this. The cost of a spun bond covers is going to be high due to the large amounts of material required and the expertise and logistics of manufacturing and shipping of such large products. Quality costs. In most cases we're talking about nearly 30 metres of specifically developed materials. Moreover, such hi-tech specifications required of such a material can only be found in the UK and thus carry higher prices, imported materials do not stand up to the test of time and most certainly do not carry a long warranty time. In most cases we're talking about nearly 30 metres of specifically developed materials. Although I no longer work in the production of covers I have to say that I spent some years in the development of covers and the material to meet the needs of the cover market and still feel the price most certainly reflects the quality and the work involved.

Archived