Motorhome tool.kit

michaelmorris

I'm putting together a small tool kit to pack permanently in our new (to us) Elddis Autoquest 200.

This is intended to provide the facility to carry out running repairs to the habitation bits and VERY basic mechanical failures if for any reason we can't get the AA out (i.e.no mobile signal) or something is loose rather than broken.

Below is a proposed basic tool kit (This doesn't include consumables such as bulbs and fuses) - comments /suggestions welcome.

Bullnose pliers

long nosed- pliers

large adjustable spanner

small adjustable spanner

small (number of sockets) socket set

slotted screwdrivers

cross headed screwdrivers

Driver handle

hex drivers

security drivers

awl/bradle

Stanley knife

insulating tape

gaffer tape

WD40

multi meter

To save on weight and space I have one screwdriver and various adaptors that come with it, cross head, slotted and hex. It also has a flexible extension with a magnet when you drop a screw into an inexpressible space, not that I've ever done that!

Gavin

Adjustable spanners are useful but sometimes are too large to get into the space available. I take one that fits the gas tanks but for the rest, I take flat head thin spanners. The only spanner I've needed though is 24mm which seems to fit the bigger nuts on my van.

Multimeters are sensible if you know how to use them. Otherwise they can be dangerous.

Small hammer as Cliffy says and one I take a screwdriver a la Shaggy. I have found something with a magnet on the end that can get into difficult areas very useful.

Torch - possible head torch - but definitely one that can be used to illuminate in the engine bay.

To minimise the risk of no signal, my missus and I have different mobile providers.

Whatever you take, and having a toolkit is a must, make sure they cover what you might ned to fit in the van so check what types of head your screw have, the size of bolts etc.

A length of bicycle inner tube can be used to join pieces of tube or piping together to stretch to the grey water drain, or a different piece ,bound up with insulation tape, will join odd bits of water hose in a similar manner. It's a good insulator, and it can be used to prevent things chafing, it can be cut up in different ways to make rubber bands, just use your imagination.

It takes up very little space, needs no special care or treatment, and it's free.

What's not to like?

AGD

• 2 weeks later...
Archiesgrandad - 2015-06-10 6:15 PM

A length of bicycle inner tube can be used to join pieces of tube or piping together to stretch to the grey water drain, or a different piece ,bound up with insulation tape, will join odd bits of water hose in a similar manner. It's a good insulator, and it can be used to prevent things chafing, it can be cut up in different ways to make rubber bands, just use your imagination.

It takes up very little space, needs no special care or treatment, and it's free.

What's not to like?

AGD

Just cut off a piece of inner tube to make a new retaining rubber strap for dump valve cap. So there is another use to add to the list.

• 4 months later...

Archived