Multi-port usb charging hub

Johnoutdoorsy

Wife and I both taking iPhones, iPads, Kindles etc for three days car journey with my little Tribute Trigano and don't want to take multiple chargers, so we want some recommendations, I saw a usb hub review video on Youtube,

Do you use usb pub when in journey?

Any experiences with this suaoki usb hub? A good spot?

Thanks for any thoughts from the masses.

I would worry about how much load you can put through one for charging. I use a lighter socket thingy with 2 usb ports on it. That works just fine, and is a simple low cost solution. As I have fitted several sockets in my van, I can plug in more toys than can be shaken at with the proverbial stick.

Lighter sockets usually deliver at least 10 amps at 12 volts. USB sockets deliver about an amp, sometimes two, at 5 volts. You are not going to overload a lighter socket with a few USB convertor sockets plugged into it.

Simple arithmetic / Ohms Law .... Lighter socket 12 volts at 10 amps = 120 watts.

USB socket 5 volts at 2 amps = 10 watts

You can see that even with an inefficient USB convertor, you can run about 10 USB sockets off a 12 volt lighter socket.

Zydeco Joe - 2016-02-25 3:01 PM

We also use the " I use a lighter socket thingy with 2 usb ports on it." And while driving along works ok for us. Got it of flebay for only a couple of quid :-D

Good to know that. I have seen this kind of lighter socket before. Is this one you guys called a lighter socket? Sounds to be a good option for the hub. Will consider that. Thanks anyway!! ;-)

Edit: BTW, is the power enough for 4 ports?

Archived