Municiple sites in France

frenchman

Hi guys,

Going fulltiming at end of June (yippee!) Just want to get some ideas on the best book to buy that shows

municiple sites in France. I like these type of sites as they seem a bit safer than aires, and quite a few seem to have showers and stuff. Any help would be great! ;-)

We have friends that Full Time in Europe, they tell us that the French holiday season is very short, shorter than in the UK, and many sites close when the kids go back to school, leaving mainly the Aires, not sure about the Municipals though. I'll ask.

frenchman - 2015-05-21 9:40 AM

Hi guys,

Going fulltiming at end of June (yippee!) Just want to get some ideas on the best book to buy that shows

municiple sites in France. I like these type of sites as they seem a bit safer than aires, and quite a few seem to have showers and stuff. Any help would be great! ;-)

There is a website showing municipals open all year.

Google " camping municipals ouvert toute l'annee " and you'll probably find it.

From memory ( which is not good ) I think it's :

www.camping-municipal.org/campings-ouverts-toute-l-annee.htm"

( or something very much like that ! )

;-)

Hi folks, re municipals..

if you are travelling down the middle of france, then try the municipal at Bruere Allichamps..they claim it is "un village et une histoire a decouvrir",

Small site alongside bank of river, electric points available, toilet block with showers rather primitive but functional,, and village claims to be " the middle of France"..

short walk into the village, and a guided trail around the Roman remains

Easy access from the centrall north south motorway..

tonyg3nwl.

Rayjsj - 2015-05-21 11:38 AM

We have friends that Full Time in Europe, they tell us that the French holiday season is very short, shorter than in the UK, and many sites close when the kids go back to school, leaving mainly the Aires, not sure about the Municipals though. I'll ask.

Some sites do have very short seasons, though most are open from roughly Easter to end Sept or longer, and a good number all year. Municipals are a very mixed bag: some are quite primitive, some among the best equipped and run sites anywhere we have been. In rural areas, depending on the local agriculture, they can get heavily used by itinerant groups, basically extended gipsy families (or "les gens de la route", as the French call them), which you may find off-putting. Be aware that whatever dates a site may say it will open between, it may open late or close early, especially if it has little business and no out of season bookings.

I'd suggest getting the ACSI CD rom, which has a fairly reliable database of sites of all kinds (France as well as most of Europe), including those that do the ACSI out of season discount card. I'd also suggest the Caravan Club sites guide "Caravan Europe" that contains sites as reported on by CC members based on their experience of staying there. There is a general guide published by the French Federation of Camping and Caravanning that lists pretty well every site in France. I think it is obtainable from the Camping and Caravanning Club, possibly also the CC. However, when last I had a copy it made no qualitative judgement of the sites, just giving their locations, meaning that it was unwise to arrive late - just in case! :-)

Archived