Noise

bb_wales

Hi all,

Just joined this site after searching around since buying our new to us Motorhome, it is a Eura Mobil 810HB built in 2003. From what I have read this site appears to be friendly with plenty of experience and people willing to share their experiences to help others.

Since buying the MH and driving it home I have heard a noise coming from the engine compartment, I was a mechanic in a previous life and do know how to diagnose problems hopefully, now the noise that I hear sounds like a squeal and only happens in high revs 3rd and 4th and then all the time in 5th unless it gets annoyed with itself and shuts up for a time. To me the problem seems to be from the gearbox now prior to me stripping the box out and rebuilding it have any of you come across this previously and am I heading in the right direction? I should say that the engine and gearbox are Fiat and is the 2.8 JTD.

Thank you in anticipation of guiding light.

Kind regards

Bob

The definition of squeal suggests to me a possible drive belt, or maybe water pump issue?

Worn gears and bearings in gearboxes tend to whine, or even rumble just before letting go?

Can you make it do it when stationary or is it only when being driven?

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums, Bob.

As you are an ex-mechanic you’ll be well aware that identifying the source of an odd noise in a vehicle is not always easy.

I once owned a motorhome based on a RWD Ford Transit chassis and the gearbox began to make a peculiar ‘whistling’ noise, but the cause turned out to be a problem with a bearing in the rear axle’s final-drive unit. I was pretty sure when driving the vehicle that the noise was coming from the gearbox but, when I sat in the rear of the motorhome and somebody else drove it, it was plain that the noise was from the rear axle.

So I suggest that (assuming you already haven’t done it) you get a second opinion from another person whose mechanical expertise you trust to confirm that the noise is coming from the gearbox.

It might have been useful to know the mileage of your motorhome and how long you’ve owned it, and whether the ‘squeal’ in 3rd, 4th and 5th gear has been present from the moment you bought the vehicle or has only become apparent recently. Also whether there’s any difference when the motor/transmission is cold or hot, the transmission is on-load or off-load, and whether there are any other transmission-related symptoms (eg. diffiiculties engaging gears).

A GOOGLE-search on “gearbox squeal” or Ducato gearbox noise” will retrieve plenty of stuff, but none of it may be relevant to the noise your motorhome is making and I couldn’t see anything that closely matched your description of the problem.

I’d do two things - get a trustworthy 2nd opinion and, if that confirms your belief that the noise is coming from the gearbox, drain the gearbox oil and check its condition and quantity. I’m not particularly confident that lack of oil, or contaminated oil, would cause squealing in the higher gears, but it definitely would not help.

Thank you all,

I have had the MH for less than a month and bought it as a trade sale so no warentee, I am not overly concerned about the lack of warentee as I will do all repairs myself, the MH was at a suitable price which reflects this.

I have booked it in for an MOT on the 11th March and asked the tester (who is a friend) to help me diagnose the fault.

It is not the belts and the noise is not a whine that is why I asked in here to see if anyone had experience of this.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards

Bob

Guest Joe90

My last van had exactly the same power plant drive train a 2003 2.8 jtd, it used to whistle under hard acceleration, ease off the gas and it would tend to go away.........................I used to just ease of the gas as in 10000 miles covered during my ownership It never got any worse, and I never got to the bottom of it though various suggestions were made including turbo whistle, and leaking manifold gaskets that were once flagged up on these very forums I think from Euroserve who is very knowledgeable with these vans.

If it was me I wouldn't fret too much, I'd take a good look underneath for any obvious oil leaks, then just drive the van and see if it's not just a quirk of a vehicle that's new to you, this particular engine and drive train is acknowledged to be pretty bombproof with no 5th gear issue, good luck with it.

P.S get a full cambelt kit if it hasn't been done recently, fairly easy job for the DIY man.

bb_wales - 2015-03-02 10:54 PM

I had the same with an Austin 1100 in the dim and distant past

Ah yes - rebuilding 'A' Series gearboxes on the kitchen table - fond memories indeed?

I think you are right not to ignore it and hope that it goes away as whilst it may well possibly be something harmless it just as likely may not and I would hate to see any holiday expensively and inconveniently ruined just because I failed to investigate an unusual noise. Hope you get to the bottom of it and do please let us know what it is/was when you do discover. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Took the MH for its MOT and it sailed through with no advisories either.

The noise oh the noise, well that has proven to be an inter cooler pipe, from the inter cooler to the main induction manifold, £85 for a new one and it should be sorted, the pipe is coming from Italy hence should be sorted. There is a small hole in the pipe where it has rubbed on the radiator and when you reach 2000 RPM it opens enough to let air out and hence the squeal.

Thanks for all your help

Bob

...if it is the intercooler pipe, then you may get a noticeable improvement in performance when it is replaced (depending on the volume (not audible ;-)) of the leak).

I had one end of the intercooler pipe of a previous 2.8JTD blow off joining the A64 at Tadcaster one evening - the drop in response was dramatic - and luckily I managed to guess what had happened from the accompanying "whistle". (It was a common problem on those engines).

The hose clip was still there, so at the cost of the loss of a fair amount of skin off my arms and hands (working in the dark on the hard shoulder) I managed to re-attach everything, tighten it, and continue as normal.

Thanks Brian all pipes are coming off this weekend for full examination and if necessary I will replace with Ali tube and silicone bends, I have now discovered a cheap supplier, and it will bling up the engine compartment lol.

Tracker - 2015-03-02 11:13 PMThe only time I ever heard a gearbox squeal it turned out to be a layshaft bearing that was a sloppy fit and was turning in it's housing - but that was on a Morris Marina over 30 years ago - and was simple enough to replace!

Rich I too unfortunately once drove a Morris Marina, baby pooh brown in colour. We could start a whole new thread on our experiences with one of the worst cars I have ever driven. Fortunately it was a company supplied car and they paid the price of a poor buying decision.

Geeco - 2015-03-22 12:33 AM
Tracker - 2015-03-02 11:13 PMThe only time I ever heard a gearbox squeal it turned out to be a layshaft bearing that was a sloppy fit and was turning in it's housing - but that was on a Morris Marina over 30 years ago - and was simple enough to replace!

Rich I too unfortunately once drove a Morris Marina, baby pooh brown in colour. We could start a whole new thread on our experiences with one of the worst cars I have ever driven. Fortunately it was a company supplied car and they paid the price of a poor buying decision.
I traded up from a Harvest Gold 1.3 Marina to a posh Teal Blue 1.8 TC and I do have to say that for a couple of years it was a quick (for it's era) economical, comfortable and totally reliable form of family transport and I enjoyed it until we decided we needed an estate car and replaced it with a succession of Cortinas, but that's another tale! Bearing in mind the lack of disposable income at the time all my cars were well used high mileage often ex fleet examples so anything that didn't break down or go wrong for more than a few months at a time was considered very fortunate!

Archived