Pet passport

MikenKath

Cost us 27 euro at a vets in a village just outside Innsbruck in March this year. I wonder it the difference depends on whether you are close to a main route chosen by Brits for travelling through France? Moral of this thread may be that if you can choose your itinerary so that you can be off those well trodden routes before you travel back with your dog (or your ferret) it might save a few euros. Not that the savings would appear to justify a major diversion.

I wonder how many people from the UK take ferrets with them on holiday *-)

Tooooooooooooooo much enough already!

The last time we took the dog , and several times before that, we used a very friendly English speaking vet in Alencon and paid about 15 Euros.

You don't need to prebook but we always did and if you are late they can usually fit you in same day.

That it's just the right distance to the ports for us determined our choice - plus the price!

Tracker - 2016-05-19 3:54 PM

Tooooooooooooooo much enough already!

The last time we took the dog , and several times before that, we used a very friendly English speaking vet in Alencon and paid about 15 Euros.

You don't need to prebook but we always did and if you are late they can usually fit you in same day.

That it's just the right distance to the ports for us determined our choice - plus the price!

Now Rich you have 120 hours before embarkation, so you can get the dog to a vets more or less anywhere. We have been using Spanish vets, but no where near the northern ports. This gives you 5 days to drive thro' France, which for me is about 4 days too long. I don't know why but we''ve fallen out with France and smitten with Spain& Portugal.

Finally always ask the price before letting them touch the dog.

starvin marvin - 2016-05-19 4:28 PM

Now Rich you have 120 hours before embarkation, so you can get the dog to a vets more or less anywhere. We have been using Spanish vets, but no where near the northern ports. This gives you 5 days to drive thro' France, which for me is about 4 days too long. I don't know why but we''ve fallen out with France and smitten with Spain& Portugal.

Finally always ask the price before letting them touch the dog.

No matter anywhere West of Paris we came back from it had become something of a habit to get the dog done at our favourite vet's and wander up to Monet's Garden (free level car park Aire NO services) either same or next day, then onto the coast the next day with the ferry the next day. It works for us because it takes the rush out of the equation and delays simply do not matter.

Ask the price before booking as once you are there they have a captive audience!

I agree Spanish vets are generally less expensive, like most things in Spain, but I can live with 15 Euros for the convenience.

MikenKath - 2016-05-19 9:02 PM

we did think price was a a bit steep having paid €26 last year in Normandy but we did ask first and expected it to be top end as it is one of those fancy glass and chrome places.

So is the one in Alencon.

• 1 month later...
starvin marvin - 2016-05-20 9:34 AM

JonMac46 - 2016-05-20 8:07 AM

I think it is 120 hours before disembarkation.

I would check that again.

I work with Environmental Health officers who deal with animal Port Health. for of and tapeworm treatment,

we confirmed it us 120h before disembarking in UK. Not likely to be an issue using tunnel but could be on a ferry ;-)

https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad/tapeworm-treatment-dogs

8. Tapeworm treatment (dogs only)

"A vet must treat your dog for tapeworm and record it in the pet passport or third-country official veterinary certificate every time you want to enter the UK.

You don’t need to treat your dog for tapeworm if you’re coming directly to the UK from Finland, Ireland, Malta or Norway.

The treatment must have been given within 1 and 5 days (between 24 and 120 hours) before you’re going to enter the UK."

Archived