Petrol containers

Wingpete

Beware of carrying small amounts of petrol in plastic containers that are not suitable, such a empty lemonade bottles, washing liquid bottles, or similar, as they will leak under the effect of the petroleum spirit chemicals.

Buy only an approved container, preferrably in metal with a good fine threaded screw cap.

Even some containers sold in accessory shops have caps which are coarse threaded, and leak if not kept upright, or jolted too much in the side lockers of m/homes !

As the majority of plastics are hydrocarbon derived products, the same as petrol or diesel fuel, they will interact and the containers will deteriorate. It's just a question of time.

Always use an approved metal container.

Flicka

A few years ago when I was in the fire service, we had a lecture by a chemist on chemicals used in everyday life, and in his opinion petrol was the most dangerous chemical around. It is so volatile and everyone is that familiar with it that we treat it with little respect. If you splash it on you it can give you really bad burns if you don't get the right treatment, the explosive qualities are obvious, it is highly poisonous and damaging to the environment.

Yet we allow anyone over the age of 16 to buy it, people think it is safe to keep it lying around there homes in unsuitable containers and I bet the number of people who know the legal limit for storing it can be counted on one hand!

Don't ask, I've forgotten too! (But it is only about 10 gallons-ish).

The legal limit for petrol stored in screw cap, approved, containers is 2 gallons.

When the petrol "revolt" took place 7 yrs ago, people were caught hoarding petrol in vast quanities, in the most unsuitable manner, leading to a number of serious incidents that required the attendances of Fire Brigades.

Containers such as wheelie bins, dustbins, plastic water containers, (like those used by m/homers and tuggers for waste/ fresh water), tin baths, truck inner tubes, etc, were put to use.

And I guess you can imagine the consequences when a source of ignition came into contact with such storage.

>:-) >:-) >:-( >:-(

Archived