Portugal road tolls and payment

snowie

Hi Alan. We were in Portugal in 2016. We found that it was mostly motorways in the north which had plaza free electronic toll systems and as we travelled further south we came across more with payment machines and manned booths. However electronic payment tolls are likely to increase as Portugal has the electronic/data infrastructure to support them and ultimately are cheaper and can be used to convert existing roads to motorways without the expense of manned toll plazas. This site is very useful: http://www.portugaldailyview.com/whats-new/motorways-how-can-you-as-a-tourist-pay-the-electronic-tolls

• 3 weeks later...

Having failed to buy a transponder as we had hoped, "Easytoll" system is what we have. Number plate recognition system linked to bank card.

Just hoping NatWest won't be benefitting from multiple transaction charges as roads are split into very short sections and are pretty expensive, we think!

So far we have had several manned booths, and only one machine that was hard to get at and left 30 cents change as a result.

It's Friday and sat in hot sun outside van on the municipal site in Coimbra.

A bit tired site and not many of us on it.

Regards

Alan b

• 2 weeks later...

Having a conversation with myself, but if anyone reads this I hope it proves useful.

Firstly toll charges seem high to me in comparison with other countries, and they are levied over quite short distances.

Second, we have found that easytoll works over the first few stretches and then there's the option of a manned lane rather than a machine. We also expect more electronic tolls in the Algarve area.

Thirdly, Nat West charged us £1 each time they processed a toll charge, even one for 87cents! Five in one day was a bit rich.

Lastly, not many winter campers seem to use toll roads, we do because they are generally smooth, quiet fast and we are in a hurry, we meander in better weather, though it's not very predictable.

Regards

Alan b

That's a question and a half Pauline!

I'm now sat on a pitch on a "yellow! Village" campsite outside Lagos wondering if I should enrol for Pilates tomorrow!

But seriously; we are enjoying the trip, maybe not the dark nights as Portugal , same time as uk so we needed to bring loads of dvds and hobbies, cos it's cold and dark in the evenings from 6:30 7'ish. Difficult to BBQ.

Eat at lunchtime and there are plenty of food choices.

Wouldn't say it's cheap but maybe a bit cheaper than Spain?

I'd recommend almost anywhere, plenty of life to see and some beautiful beaches,

Regards

Alan b

Charles - 2017-03-05 5:12 PM

Are the toll roads signposted "pedagio"

We're going next month but we don't use toll roads.

Sorry Charles don't know, we use satnav and plan ahead , if it asks if we want to avoid tolls we say yes or more often no.

Regards

Alan b

snowie - 2017-03-05 5:00 PM

That's a question and a half Pauline!

I'm now sat on a pitch on a "yellow! Village" campsite outside Lagos wondering if I should enrol for Pilates tomorrow!

But seriously; we are enjoying the trip, maybe not the dark nights as Portugal , same time as uk so we needed to bring loads of dvds and hobbies, cos it's cold and dark in the evenings from 6:30 7'ish. Difficult to BBQ.

Eat at lunchtime and there are plenty of food choices.

Wouldn't say it's cheap but maybe a bit cheaper than Spain?

I'd recommend almost anywhere, plenty of life to see and some beautiful beaches,

Regards

Alan b

Thanks . We will not be coming over until April, so the weather should improve, and the days will be longer. getting much longer already over here! I am surprised you think Portugal cheaper than Spain. Last time we where there it was not, but some years ago now. Mind you every thing is getting more expensive now in UK. Inflation is every where!

Carry on enjoying your hols

P

Archived