Portugal

frenchman

It is more than a bit confusing!

There are 2 or 3 distinct systems:

-some motorways are traditional pay at toll booths - from our experience mainly on exit from the system

-others (which I think are mainly A2-something, but a lot of the motorways round Porto are included) have overhead numberplate recognition cameras. For these you have to buy (as an overseas driver) prepaid credit, min €5, which you get from post offices or motorway services. Every time you pass through a checkpoint an amount (prominently displayed) is taken off your balance - you can check your balance online at www.tollcard.pt, but you have to register online first. There seems some question whether there is a mechanism to "fine" overseas plates without credit, but I do now our van showed a decreasing balance this year, so the system can obviously recognise UK plates.

-there are some journeys (Spain to Faro Airport & vice versa, and parts of the motorway from Lisbon up to Ronda where you can buy an overall pass.)

-at some entry points to Portugal (never where we've gone in!) you can register your credit card and get automatic deductions, I believe.

There's a lot more detail on

http://www.portugaltolls.com/en/web/portal-de-portagens/home

• 5 months later...

Archived