You are logged in as a guest. 
  Home Forums Home  Search our Forums Search our Forums    Log in to the Forums Log in to the Forums  register Register on the Forums  

Forums ->  Motorhomes -> Hints and Tips
Jump to page : First 1 Last
Format:  Go
Portugal
AuthorMessage
userfrenchman
Posted: 17 August 2016 9:56 AM
Subject: Portugal

Liking what I've found

Hi!
Anyone out there can help?
We are on way to Porto and would like to know how the road toll system works?
Seems a bit confusing.
Thanks!
userSolwaybuggier
Posted: 17 August 2016 11:45 AM
Subject: RE: Portugal

A posting machine

It is more than a bit confusing!

There are 2 or 3 distinct systems:
-some motorways are traditional pay at toll booths - from our experience mainly on exit from the system
-others (which I think are mainly A2-something, but a lot of the motorways round Porto are included) have overhead numberplate recognition cameras. For these you have to buy (as an overseas driver) prepaid credit, min €5, which you get from post offices or motorway services. Every time you pass through a checkpoint an amount (prominently displayed) is taken off your balance - you can check your balance online at www.tollcard.pt, but you have to register online first. There seems some question whether there is a mechanism to "fine" overseas plates without credit, but I do now our van showed a decreasing balance this year, so the system can obviously recognise UK plates.
-there are some journeys (Spain to Faro Airport & vice versa, and parts of the motorway from Lisbon up to Ronda where you can buy an overall pass.)
-at some entry points to Portugal (never where we've gone in!) you can register your credit card and get automatic deductions, I believe.

There's a lot more detail on

http://www.portugaltolls.com/en/web/portal-de-portagens/home
userMarianneDeux
Posted: 6 February 2017 8:56 AM
Subject: RE: Portugal

Just joined

Also very useful: http://www.portugaldailyview.com/whats-new/motorways-how-can-you-as-a-tourist-pay-the-electronic-tolls

Jump to page : First 1 Last
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)(Return to Homepage)

Any problems? Contact the administrator