Power drain Boxer X250

spospe

Out of interest I have carried out some power drain measurements on my 2014 build Auto Sleeper Warwick Duo with the 2.2 litre 130 bhp engine. I used a clamp meter for all readings and yes, I know that they are not the most accurate of devices at low current levels.

1) All doors closed, but not locked: 90 m/a initially with one to two second bursts of 160 m/a (every 30 seconds or so)

2) All doors locked, but alarm not set: 300 m/a initially, but dropping to 90 m/a within 10 minutes (with one to two second bursts of 160 m/a every 30 seconds or so)

3) All doors locked and alarm (with motion sensors) set: 475 m/a, but in minutes dropping to 300 m/a and eventually to 140 m/a (with one to two second bursts of 210 m/a every 30 seconds or so)

What these figures do indicate is that with the alarm set, my van uses about 3½ a/h per day and given that the starter battery is around 105 a/h, this translates into a flat battery in about 30 days.

The above is for members interest, I am not asking for advice, just passing on some interesting information which may explain some problems people have been having around the area of batteries.

You take 105ah out of a 105ah battery and it will be knackered, at the rates your showing the battery will be fine for two weeks, after that it is getting lower than is comfortable. After three weeks it won't be capable of starting the engine.

colin

Agreed.

The main culprit is the alarm system, without it the battery would last for about 50 days to completely flat. For what it's worth, the alarm fitted to my AS Warwick Duo is an Autowatch 695 system, but I have no idea how this compares to other makes of alarm for current drain.

I previously posted that 12volt to mains voltage inverters do not draw current when switched off because the ones I tested didn't. But I have since bought another that does draw a small current when switched off. So I stand corrected :$

John52

You have prompted me to see what my Seeley 300 watt pure sine wave inverter draws from the 12 volt supply.

When plugged in and switched off .... nothing

When plugged in and switched on, but no load applied ..... 350 m/a

This equates to about 8½ a/h per day, just to run the inverter without any load being applied to it, so the message is obvious: don't leave your inverter plugged in and switched on if you are not using it to run something.

• 1 year later...

It came via Amazon:

Signstek UNI-T UT210E Handheld RMS AC/DC Mini Digital Clamp Meter Resistance Capacitance Tester

Sold by Victory Cyber Store and cost £35

A search for Digital Clamp Meter will give you plenty of choice, but make sure you get one which will do DC (many are AC only)

Archived