Re Connecting a Status Aerial

alan k

A confession, in an argument in a car park, the tree branch won and took off the status aerial. I saw the dome bounce alongside the van thro the door mirror.

Anyway the problem, the aerial lead has pulled out of the dome and the dome doesn't seem to want to seperate to allow me to reconnect the cable. Does anybody know whether it will come apart, is it stuck together with superglue or am I just not using enough force? I'd prefer to mend it rather than pay £60 for a new dome and cable.

All because of my impatience with a guy in a car who wouldn't attempt to go thro a gap that (according to a very good friend) "you could have got a Trent Bus thro". I went past him instead and missed the branch or rather hit it!!

alan

If you can't get it apart, and I suspect you might not as it is probably very well sealed to keep out the weather, you could try using a large hacksaw with a fine blade to cut through it and then once you've re-attached the cable, glue it together again with some strong adhesive. Seeing as you've detached it anyway, you've not got anything to lose by trying.

• 2 weeks later...

I've now been reliably informed that the 2 halves of the dome are super glued together and are liable to fragment with splinters if one tries to separate the two halves,

oh well will just have to be more careful with low branches

cheers

Alan, I'm sorry to pinch your thread, but can you tell me something please.

I have a Status Aerial and have recently bought an Avtex tv which has been rubbish. I am now reliably informed that it is my aerial in my mh which is rubbish..... BUT I also have a Status Aerial and when I switch it on absolutely nothing happens. It doesn't improve the picture at all. I have been told this is wrong.

I too have had an argument with an overhead tree branch but when I got up ladders to look for damage there did not appear to be any damage. Is it POSSIBLE in your knowledge of the status since you appear much more brainy than me, that just a knock from the branch would affect its performance? I don't want to take the van in to have someone look at just that, as I am sick of paying out for jobs when I don't have a clue as they seem to think 'Oh, stupid woman on the horizon. Let's take her for all we can get.' If I look like I know what I'm talking about I may get better service.

Hi, First of all you need to check that all the connections on your aerial wire have been done properly. Just bought a brand new van that had a Status Aerial fitted and could not get a picture at all. Checked all connections and found that the Aerial socket next to my TV had been wired wrong. Aerial wire has an inner solid wire and an outer mesh of fine wire and some times a mesh/ foil. These must not touch each other at all, even just one of the fine mesh wires touching the inner wire will stop the aerial working. You should have aerial wire from Status with a connector on it that plugs into the in socket of your booster box. An aerial wire with a connector that plugs into the out socket of booster box and that wire should go to an aerial socket near your TV. All those connections need checking.

Hi Roon,

Sorry not looked for a couple of days, I would check that the connections are properly made as Itexuk suggested.

The dome was completed knocked off the roof pulling the cable out of the connection , if your dome stayed in position I think its a connection problem and I doubt it would be in the dome itself

cheers alan

alan k - 2008-04-24 9:53 PM

I've now been reliably informed that the 2 halves of the dome are super glued together and are liable to fragment with splinters if one tries to separate the two halves,

oh well will just have to be more careful with low branches

cheers

I probably will splinter if you try to just prise it apart, but if you use a hacksaw it shouldn't. Just do it very slowly and carefully (put some masking tape around it first if you like to stop the saw slipping off), if you have a Black & Decker workmate, gently clamp the dome in that and keep turning it round as you saw through each edge. Leave a little bit each time you turn to keep the thing rigid in the workmate then you can simply saw these out once you've done most of it. If you take your time and have a sharp blade you should be able to do it without any problem, worth a try.

Archived