Renault Master Wing Mirrors

Thurlestone

We own a 2008 Knaus SunTi on a Renault Master base. We have problems with a wing mirror cover that has a split but I am having difficulty trying to find replacements. The standard Master mirrors do not fit but the mirrors do have Renault markings that are not known by local dealer. Has anyone replaced any similar mirrors. (lol)

As you've reposted, it would appear that you've drawn a blank via the usual suspects.

One thing occurs to me, however, and that is there was a history of certain Renault motorhomes having their base vehicle warranted through the Truck arm of Renault, rather than the car arm (two separate organisations in the UK).

A quick Google indicates that this split may still be the case, and that the "Truck" arm are the more likely UK supplier of the chassis-cab, or platform cab, (as opposed to the panel van, which may also come through car dealers) both of which may require non-standard extended door mirrors once converted.

If indeed your parts are marked as Renault, and if you have consulted a car dealer, it may pay to find a local Renault truck dealer, and see if they have a different parts database. See:

http://www.renault-trucks.co.uk/

.....and Chatfields in Bootle may be your closest.

http://www.renault-trucks.net/chatfields

edit:

Playing with the configurator fro the current Master (and I know yours is a previous model) non-standard (wider) mirrors can be specified for the chassis-cab, but there is no such option for the panel van.

As I highlighted in your Motorhome Matters posting about this

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=29096&posts=4

the type of mirror fitted to your Knaus was commonly used on wide-bodied Renault Master-based coachbuilt motorhomes built from 2005-2008.

After replying to your posting I did a fair amount of on-line research into where such a mirror might be sourced nowadays, but without success. It was easy enough to find short- or medium--arm mirrors suitable for a Master, but not the version with the long angled-upwards arms that you've got. As the mirror was fitted to Renault-based coachbuilt motorhomes converted in France Germany, Italy, UK, etc. it seemed near certain that the mirror was Renault-provided and you've now confirmed that yours has Renault markings.

It's quite possible that Robinhood's 'truck' suggestion will prove fruitful, as I note that some RWD Renault Master-based commercial vehicles had these mirrors. GOOGLE-searching on "Renault Master 2007 propulsion" produces a selection of RWD-vehicle images, including this one http://tinyurl.com/8clpudw

In the UK, Auto-Trail's Miami had this type of mirror (see 1st photo on this link)

http://www.edgehillmotorhomes.co.uk/page/autotrail_miami_740d

so (if all else fails) you might try contacting Auto-Trail to see if they can help.

(As your mirrors have Renault markings, it might be useful to know what these are. As George suggests, just because your local Renault dealer is unable to use the markings to identify the part doesn't mean that someone else won't be able to do so.)

• 1 month later...

the renault master 2 as used by most camper van makers use the long arm mirror with a single convex glass. this is the same mirror fitted to the renault mascot of the same year. the mirror glass suplier in Penzance flogs them for around £15. better than a whole mirror arm unit from renault for £250. Fitting the new glass requires skill and cunning. if the plastic holder came out when you lost the mirror, but it can be done.

if it is just a cracked mirror glass, pick out the old bits then warm the plastic holder with a hot air gun and fiddle the new glass in when the plastic suround feels flexible about 140 c.

Check with a local truck factors to see if repair glass is available.

If the mirror is only cracked its standard practice to stick the repair glas on top with mirror grade silicon adhesive. Don't use the normal type as the acid reaction de-silvers the new part.

I have not done one myself but suspect the repair glass is smaller than the original to save stripping the assembly.

For older vehicles where spares are difficult it would be a good idea to take a template of the damaged one in say cardboard and get as close a match as possible.

oldtiff - 2012-12-15 10:27 PM

the renault master 2 as used by most camper van makers use the long arm mirror with a single convex glass. this is the same mirror fitted to the renault mascot of the same year. the mirror glass suplier in Penzance flogs them for around £15. better than a whole mirror arm unit from renault for £250. Fitting the new glass requires skill and cunning. if the plastic holder came out when you lost the mirror, but it can be done.

if it is just a cracked mirror glass, pick out the old bits then warm the plastic holder with a hot air gun and fiddle the new glass in when the plastic suround feels flexible about 140 c.

Useful information.

The Mascott was the rear-wheel drive version of the Master (and called "Master Propulsion" in France). As you say, the mirror generally fitted to Mascott 'trucks' was the long-arm design also found on many Master-based FWD wide-bodied coachbuilt motorhomes. An example of Mascott with wide mirrors is here:

http://www2.renault-trucks.com/J47PAYS/web/ImageServlet?imageCode=746&codeSite=J46LOCALWEB&etat=1

I believe the problem was that Thurlestone's mirror's plastic cover had split, not just the mirror-glass.

Robinhood suggested earlier that a Renault truck dealer (or Renault Trucks themselves) might be able to help. This was 6 weeks ago, so it's to be hoped Thurlestone has been able to source a replacement mirror/cover by now.

Archived