Replacing an electric step on Fiat autotrail apache 600se

Androse11

Drive the step out, then remove the fuse (usually in the EC50 fuse box behind the drivers seat) you dont want it moving when you have your fingers 'up in the workings' believe me !

Then the fixing bolts should be visible. to allow you to unbolt and remove it, plus the electrical conector plug needs seperating. What year is it ? my step is an 'Omnistore'.

Drawings here :

http://www.motorcaravanning.co.uk/pdf/StepsDwgs_exCat11.pdf

Ray

Thanks for your reply Ray.

I need to get at the support 'struts' in the floor above the step bracket .

The step is firmly screwed into place - the problem seems to be whatever it is fixed to needs mending or reinforcing.

The problem being is that it's all moulded plastic in the door well and I can't see if it's possible to remove it.

Autotrail apache on a 52 plate.

Thanks

Richard

Can't say i have ever removed the plastic 'Footwell' in the Doorway, but there MUST be a way ? Someone put it in in the first place. There is probably a Plate mounted in there to take the strain of the step on the floor timber/sandwich. After all ,20 stone + people should be able to use these steps. You will need to replace the timber that the Bracket/plate is attached to. Let us know how you get on ?

Ray

This discussion appears to describe a similar problem

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/community/discussions/information,-technical-tips-advice/motorhomes/Autotrail-step-problem/rt/948560/

As it’s not obvious how the moulded plastic step in the door-well is fixed in place, it’s likely that adhesive has been used. If that’s so, then removal may be very difficult without causing damage.

I’d look at reinforcing the underside of the floor above the step by glueing and screwing a substantial piece of something sturdy to it to which the step can be attached. Thick marine-ply would be an obvious choice or a sheet of metal to which the step could be bolted. I’d fight shy of removing the door-well moulding and - although it might be practicable to cut away part of the floor’s under-surface above the step, insert reinforcing and then reinstate the surface - I’d try not to do that either.

The best ‘fix’ will depend on how bad the problem is and the condition of the floor. With a 52-plate vehicle there’s a risk that the floor’s material has begun to rot or has started to disintegrate internally. In the latter case injecting expanding foam into the floor’s interior above the step might be sufficient to stabilise things. But rot would be more serious and require more work to correct.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem last year on our AT Tracker

I removed the step, as mentioned in a earier poster and then refitted it with two pieces of hard wood clamped underneath the mouting brackets so the load is spread over a grater area. I can't remember exactly how I did it but It has been fine ever since

Archived