Replacing fabric on wind out sun canopy

Veligandu

We purchased, last summer, a 2007 Bessacar E540 and have been updating bits and pieces. We would like to replace the fabric cover on the wind out canopy. Our investigation so far has proved fruitless. One of the comments from a Dealer was to replace the whole unit at a cost of £620. I can't believe that there isn't a company somewhere out there who can supply and replace the fabric. Has anybody else been affected by this dilemma? I welcome any useful suggestions. Many thanks.

Guest Had Enough
Veligandu - 2015-02-13 12:18 PM

We purchased, last summer, a 2007 Bessacar E540 and have been updating bits and pieces. We would like to replace the fabric cover on the wind out canopy. Our investigation so far has proved fruitless. One of the comments from a Dealer was to replace the whole unit at a cost of £620. I can't believe that there isn't a company somewhere out there who can supply and replace the fabric. Has anybody else been affected by this dilemma? I welcome any useful suggestions. Many thanks.

It's always a help if you tell us where you live. I've used this firm recently

http://www.tentvaletingservices.co.uk/

and they're first class. You may well have a company in your area that does repairs along these lines and would be able to source the right kind of material..

It's not a common requirement to replace a complete fabric canopy, which is why there isn't an off the shelf answer to your needs. And awning manufacturers chnage models and specifications, so even they might not be able to supply a replacement easily, although of course they might, if you can contact them.

We made a small hole in ours which we were able to repair using a kit sold (through dealers) by the awning manufacturer - it involved applying transparent tape to each side, over the hole. It has worked very well.

Our awning (new in 2006) got very greeny-grumby and they are not easy things to clean because you certainly cannot all of it to rub and scrub. We mananged quite well using a device on an extending stick designed for cleaning windscreens - T shaped with a rubber scraoer (no use for this task) and a sponge covered in nylon fabric (like a scrubber sponge) on the other.

Erect the awning and using hot water and plenty of the right sort of cleaner, scrub the underneath, then lower the canopy legs and do the top. Messy job because of drips etc but it worked quite well,

Replacing the whole sheet of fabric might also be possible. I doubt if you could get fabric easily from anywhere other than the manufacturer of the awning because these awnings are made up of two or three widths of fabric, glued together at the edges.

So contact the manufacturer to enquire about buying a replacement fabric unit from them and ask how it would be supplied and fitted. Pick the brains of your dealer's workshop staff who will have experience of fitting the awnings and find out if the roller of fabric is removeable as a roll. Unfortunately I suspect the the costs of doing this fabric replacement, especially if you pay someone to fit it for you, would not be all that far short of fitting a complete replacement new awning.

Good luck.

You don't say whether the awning is a Fiamma or Omnistor(Thule) version.

It shouldn't be beyond a competent repairer, or even a DIY'er to carry out such a job, as the fabric should (and most certainly is in the case of Fiamma) be available from a dealer as a spare part.

The following PDF gives some idea of the job on a Fiamma awning (it is a current download, but looks like an older version of the awning to me).

http://www.fiamma.com/download/reparation/changing_canopy.pdf

Most dealers would obviously prefer to sell you a new awning at a significantly higher price - I would suggest you try one of the on-line sellers for spare parts, and see if you can either DIY, or find a workshop that will attempt the job.

I can't find an online price for the spares in the UK, but a replacement (fabric) for a 3m Fiamma awning can be had in the Netherlands for around €200.

But, I would strongly suggest you do not do as the two in Robin's download did, and leave the canopy fully extended and unsupported while changing the fabric. The strain on the awning fixings and the side wall of the van will be immense! Place at least one support under the lead rail in lieu of the legs.

As above, you haven't said where you live, or what brand the awning is. I'd suggest looking for awning suppliers locally, in preference to motorhome dealers. Many are mobile and will come to you. They should be able to supply the fabrics at more reasonable prices, and will also be familiar with dismantling/reassembling the awning.

Unless familiar with awnings, I think this may not be a DIY job. There are powerful springs in the awning arms that could cause problems. Getting the fabric to set, and roll, evenly and without wrinkles can be a bit problematic, and is likely to require two people with a degree of strength and some knack.

Thank you to all those who sent me a response - obviously a minefield!

Sorry for lack of info on my original info - we live in West Yorkshire between Huddersfield and Leeds.

The awning is a Fiamma 45. We are new to forums!

To the gentleman who suggested Tenting Repair Services - we contacted them. It is not something they have been approached to do before, however they would have a look at it if we're stuck. Cost of fabric £250 plus cost of fitting (rough guide).

We're still investigating but I take Brian's point that it's not really a DIY job as too much could go wrong.

Anne

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

Our van had a ripped canopy when we purchased it.

I bought one from agent flamma, as they had a damaged unit.

I replaced it with a friend and it really wasn't that difficult. A bit like changing a roll up blind.

We used the fiamma instructions and it took a couple of hours.

We took the end caps off the main body and the beam that rolls out with the legs. Then the cassette clips out and the the other end slid out.

There was no spring tension to worry about.

Much cheaper than replacing the whole thing.

Hope this helps.

Archived