Reversing Camera Problem

Jackal

I bought one of those Kress and Bohl reversing cameras from E-bay. I've just connected it up but can't get a picture!

I connected the live, dimmer and earth connections but left the reversing connection off as I wanted to leave the camera/monitor on all the time.

The monitor powers up, I can hear the sound from the camera but can't get any picture. It has momentarily flickered on two occasions but I'm wondering whether the dimmer connection may be at fault. I'm considering disconnecting it tomorrow as the trouble-shooting guide mentions the brightness control possibly being at fault and/or the lead.

Has anyone got a clue whether it sounds like the connections or leads. Or worse still, the monitor or camera?

The flat-screen colour monitor on my Waeco system produces a blue, blank display if connected to a 12V power source but not connected to a camera. The menu 'overlays' (eg. controls for brightness, colour, contrast, etc.) can also be made to appear, by pressing the appropriate buttons on the monitor, superimposed on the blank screen-display. I would have thought this would be a typical response for a monitor that's working properly but has no signal feed, So, if this is the reaction you are getting when you say your system's monitor "powers up", then I'd guess your monitor is OK. Conversely, if you are getting no absolutely reaction from your monitor when it is switched on (and has no signal lead attached to it), then I'd suspect that your monitor is faulty.

Assuming you've got a 'live' monitor and you connect it to the camera but still get no reaction, then the problem is likely to lie with the signal lead and/or the camera. In such a case all you can really do is check that the signal lead's connectors are firmly in place at the monitor and camera ends and hope that the system begins to work correctly. (My Waeco system needed the signal lead-to-camera connectors pushed very firmly home - any hint of looseness resulted in no picture at the monitor.) You say that you can hear the camera making a noise, which indicates that 12V power is reaching it via the signal cable.

This is a Catch-22 situation as, logically, what you really need is a second identical system that's in proven working order that you can 'try' against your own system. You could then exchange monitors, signal leads and cameras between the two systems and, by a process of elimination, easily identify where the present problem lies. I'd be tempted to connect up the reversing connection cable just in case that does something magical (and try leaving the dimmer facility unconnected) - otherwise all you can really do is disconnect and reconnect everything following the instructions provided.

Thank you, Derek.

Apart from two very short flickers the CRT monitor does not seem "live". The power light is on but there does not seem to be a light source.

The lead connectors are the usually more reliable push and screw type with the four strands; audio, which obviously works, video, which doesn't and the two current strands, which work.

At the camera end the lead connector does feel very loose but if I'm getting audio then it would seem that there isn't a problem.

Either there is something wrong with the video connection in the lead or a problem with the monitor or camera itself, in terms of not sending or receiving a video picture.

There's a thread relating to the Kress & Bohl systems on the Motorhome Matters forum. The thread is titled "Reversing cameras" and commences on 26/10/2006. (If you search the forum using keyword "kress" (omitting the quotes) and Date limit = All posts you'll pick it up). I note from this that Dave Newell has practical experience of these equipments, so may be able to advise on your problem.

I suggest you ressurect the Motorhome Matters thread by adding your inquiry to it, or copy your enquiry to the Motorhome Matters forum as a new posting. I've always assumed that the purpose of the Hints & Tips forum was to provide hints/tips (ie. for motorcaravanners to tell other people their ideas and the clever things they had done) rather than to seek advice. Because of this I very seldom visit the Hints & Tips forum and I suspect that's the case with many other forum members.

A Google-search on "Kress and Bohl" shows that the systems have also been discussed elsewhere.

Thanks again, Derek.

Wasn't sure where to put such a technical request, to be honest, so opted for Hints and Tips rather than the Main Board.

I've taken the monitor to be checked out by a TV repairman, as I haven't had any luck with the seller.

I should know this afternoon whether it is the monitor or the video wiring in the cable.

He repaired it for £20. Said that two connections had been left off the back of the CRT.

Sod's Law I know, but I received a replacement from the seller today.

Will try it all out at the weekend but will probably end up having to sell the replacement to get my money back.

Archived