Roll up chairs

Gypsy

Does anyone know of a "roll up put in the bag" chair that is suitable both for sitting upright at a table and also reclining for a nap?

My problem is that downsizing to a van conversion has meant that chair storage is now at a premium and our Lafumas don't fit into the available storage.

All sensible suggestions gratefully received particularly if accompanied by a link.

• 2 weeks later...
we have downsized too and now have the problem of finding suitable chairs. lafuma chairs only been used couple of times now have to be kept for the garden at home. haven't seen any roll up chairs, have seen some smaller lightweight chairs (though they don't recline) in caravan shop, thought about keeping them securely strapped behind passenger seat whilst travelling, but not sure of the safety aspect. we are still deciding what to go for. gill

• 1 month later...

Hi there - don't give up hope, as they do exist (at least here in Spain where we live!).

We bought two of them at our local Carrefour (Big Asda/Tesco type store), for 23.90 euros each (about £15) about 3 weeks ago.

They are brilliant - a roll up chair, vary light, but with a sort of leg squab that flips up as you press backwards on the upper seat back, and turns it into a lounger.

They are exactly the same style as those "roll up" camping chairs you can get in the UK (with the mesh coke can holder in the right armrest) but they have the extra reclining feature added).

I don't know whether the manufacturers distribute to other retailers/the UK, but at least I can tell you that they do exist -so keep hunting.

Guest caraprof

You should put your Lafumas behind the cab seats. In my Renault Master cab there is just enough space behind each seat for me to store one Lafuma recliner in its bag. This leaves ample room to walk through into the 'van. Push the seat forward and insert the chair with its narrowest edge on the floor of course and then slide the seat back to jam it against the bulkhead (if you have one that is). I am very confident that there are no safety issues in my 'van using this method. The Lafumas are tightly wedged behind the seats and can not possible fly forward in the event of a collision.

We also carry two of the roll up chairs and a rollup table as well. The chairs fit nicely in the side overhead lockers in my cab and the table goes in a bed locker.

So in a modestly-sized MH (6 mtrs) we can carry two recliners and an outdoor dining set without any real incursion into our normal floor space.

Bought these chairs at Malvern show YEAR BEFORE LAST.

I think it was Castle caravans hold this show around the Sept / Oct time.

Cannot tell you the price as we had 2 of this style and two others all matching colour for £50.

They are about, seem them about many times since. they all fold and fit in their bags.

Re: the link that J9withdogs posted.

Those are exactly the chairs that we bought here in Spain about 4 weeks ago - they really superb, and the reclining action is great.

Really comfy, can be used as upright chairs or recliners for dozing/sunbathing, and are relatively lightweight. They also roll up very small and go into their own nylon stuff-sack, so stowage is easy.

Highly recommended - except that we paid 23.90 euros each for them (about £17) in a big supermaket here on Costa Blanca, so the UK price sounds pretty steep.

Try Wilkinson Hardware Stores. Two for £10 and currently there is a reduction. They have a site on the www. and many branches. We bought two from them and they are very suitable for motorohomes users.

I've just bought one of the Argos ones I mentioned above and the quality is good. It's been reduced from £19.99 to £14.99.

Bit disappointed that you can't have 'back up/feet up' only 'reclined/feet up' which is not ideal for reading and enjoying a glass of wine, but hey-ho such is life!

Well hello, first post newbie here! Just thought I'd pitch in with the following; ASDA have these in stock and reduced to £12.50 each. They are 5.7kg each and can carry a 102.5kg individual. I tried one in the shop and it was very good even for someone who usually feels all the pressure points (due to the fact I'm a couple of kgs over the limit!)...bought 5, and everyone from in-laws to 5yr old daughter are very happy...even the wife! :)

J9 - get yourself a couple of those 3 legged folding stools, about £4.00 or so each, they are just right for resting your legs on whilst sitting up in your chair, the advantage is that if you get company you've at least got something to offer them to sit on!

Oh, and if you put a tray on top you've got a table as well (not at the same time as your legs are using them though!). B-)

Archived