Roof cleaning

Gritzz

This might sound daft,but has anyone got any tips for safely washing a m/home roof? I'm reluctant to lean a ladder on the roof corner and I don't have the space for a scaffold tower. I've been using a ladder,but I want to enjoy my retirement for a few years more !!

Well, as you ask, I find it a big asset to have a wife, my beloved CG, who is younger,smaller and a lot lighter than me, and has no fear of heights. When necessary, such as when a load of leaves blew into the big Heki, I was able to send her up onto the roof to clear it up. In our sailing days I used to earn beer by sending her up the mast of other peoples yachts in a bosun's chair to clear halliards or make minor repairs.

I do realise that not everyone can be so lucky.

AGD

Gritzz - 2016-05-21 8:56 PMThis might sound daft,but has anyone got any tips for safely washing a m/home roof? I'm reluctant to lean a ladder on the roof corner and I don't have the space for a scaffold tower. I've been using a ladder,but I want to enjoy my retirement for a few years more !!

Hi John,

From my experience it is not a pleasant task. My driveway is on a down angle to the front of the MH so the water runs off quickly. I do have a fixed ladder on the rear so a little more secure than a step ladder. I high pressure wash before & after each trip after mopping with a soapy mop. It is slippery but if VERY careful it can be ok - not nice but ok. Cheers,

• 4 months later...

I wonder if the original poster has solved the problem of cleaning the roof of the van, I suppose it depends on the van but I get up thier and walk on it without any signs of creaking or movement though I can also clean it with a brush on a long extension pole whilst standing on steps.

A good tip is to buy an algeacide, I use Mangers costing about £9 but mixes into 12 litres then you spray it into all the places where the green stuff grows. With me living close to the sea algae is a big problem. All the joints attract algae and the roof on some other people's vans get so green I figured they were growing geraniums up there.

Buy one of those long handled brushes where you connect a hosepipe to the handle and the water jest through the bristles. Not only convenient for the roof, but its the kindest to the paint as the water blows the grit away before you grind it into the paint :-D

• 2 months later...
Noody - 2016-10-04 8:01 AM

A good tip is to buy an algeacide, I use Mangers costing about £9 but mixes into 12 litres then you spray it into all the places where the green stuff grows. With me living close to the sea algae is a big problem. All the joints attract algae and the roof on some other people's vans get so green I figured they were growing geraniums up there.

Please don't use anything that isn't made for the job. The trouble with using anything else is that anything you put on the roof will dribble down the sides which can result in damage to paintwork, graphics and seals

Archived