Safe wormer for dogs

maggyd

I've been using Drontal for years now and it is excepted by the Vets abroad to treat our dogs before returning to the U.K.

But the last few times I've used it the youngest was vomiting after about an hour and now both of them are !! they only have half a tablet as they are both under 5kgs .

Does anyone know of one, that their dogs have without being sick ? it worries me as to why this is happening.

The Vet in Mouzon in France said she didn't like small dogs having the injection she winced and said "it hurts" I also heard so many stories when the pet passport scheme first came out of dogs being very ill after the injection and even dying :-S have things changed ? has anyone else with a very small dog had the injection?

Billggski - 2015-03-29 4:29 PM

I'd check with a vet, they won't charge for advice and at a guess are more informed than a load of motorhomers.

I would think this is sound advice. My Sheltie is actually very small, barely 6kgs and she has actually had the injection and was not sick, but I know that it hurts them and now always insist on the tablet which I have bought from my English vet. Last time I was persuaded to buy Milbimax which is a chewable tablet. Unfortunately she has never liked "treats" so would not chew it. However, the French vet was extremely patient with her and fed her it bit by bit, mostly be putting it in her throat and stroking it. She was fine immediately with no ill effects. As you know you can provide your own medication in France as long as the French vet gives it to the dog so you could ask you own vet what he/she thinks.

Thanks Pat someone else on another forum has recommended Milbermax and another one Prazitel plus, as my two are 4.5 and 4.00 kgs the vet always breaks it up and pushes it to the back of the throat, it is much easier doing that as I open their mouths so she can concentrate on getting it far enough down then clamping their mouths shut ! Lol the Milbermax isn't sugar coated is it? It can be w right pantomime with two! I bet they love it when they see me coming (lol)

Hi Maggyd I have just looked at my packet and unfortunately it says only for dogs over 5 kgs so no good for you I'm afraid. They may do a tablet that is suitable for smaller dogs but you will have to ask your vet. If they don't then maybe that is the reason for your little one being sick. I know they would have had a different tablet but they probably all have similar ingredients. Something must be available as they worm puppies don't they? Let us know how you get on.

Edit: Should have added that Milbimax is much more expensive, I thnk, than Drontal. I have just noticed that the expiry date is this July and will not be using any until after then and I have 3 of the 4 tablets left. If anyone wants them, PM me. I may go to the vets here to use one of them before I go to France in July (I would not be able to do it!) as they cover a lot of illnesses e.g. hookworms, roundworms, tapeworms and prevention of heartworm.

Archived