Sat Navs on CE6

athiest

IGO Primo is, IMO, about the best Navigation Software implementation you can get. Many people who have tried it say they wouldn't go back to TomTom or Garmin.

How well it works in a specific case will depend quite a lot on the hardware on which it is installed, though there has been decent feedback around many of the forums about the cheap eBay devoices supplied with it installed.

A word of warning, however. AFAIK the cheap versions on eBay are running "cracked" (pirated) versions of the software, not supported by NavnGo (the software supplier). An official copy of Primo software alone to run on devices supported by NavnGo generally costs as much if not more than the overall cost of buying a cheap satnav from eBay.

Given that the software has to be configured to run on a particular device, and is only officially supported on certain devices, running a pirated copy (even ignoring any legal implications) is always going to be a risk.

Official support (and map updating) is carried out through the Naviextras.com website, from which a list of officially supported devices can be obtained. An eBay device may point you at some other site for map downloads, but these again are likely to be pirated, and the level and duration of support is therefore questionable.

Any device bought in such a manner is likely to be OK for the immediate future (but illegal) - how long it will remain updateable is questionable. (Though a Win CE6 device might give you the option to obtain another, different navigation package by more acceptable routes, if you feel confident at doing some configuration with it!)

Hi robinhood, I have been watching your' posts on installing POIs on the Primo sat navs and thought that the amount of time that you have invested in the project must make them a worthy unit. I am on my second TomTom and even with updated maps it still try's to send me in my Motorhome down roads that I would not go on a bike. And yes I know that certain members on this site will say that the sat nav does not send us down small lanes but that we are steering the vehicle not the Nav. I am not in a hurry to buy a new sat nav yet but will certainly be after one with the Primo software installed. Thanks for your' input. "A"

It didn't take long to convince me that Primo far superior to any other satnav software out there.

You will never solve the problem of getting sent down a narrow road completely until there are map sources available that list every roads dimensions, it's never going to happen. With Primo it will give you multiple routes that you can select from & when the traffic cuts in it displays alternative routes on the screen, it really is good software.

My version of Primo has the option of Car, Truck, Bus, Taxi & Emergency vehicle. I only use the Car option as I do not want to be directed miles out of my way via main artillery roads which is likely to happen on the Truck setting. My wife still runs Autoroute on a netbook wit a GPS receiver which gives a good perspective of road widths & she soon shouts if it looks like the satnav is going to take us down a very narrow road, I usually ignore her and spend the next few miles panicking. (lol)

Edit:

When I brought my Primo unit I had a few months old Garmin with traffic and lifetime map updates, hardly ever gets used now just occasionally in the car.

For the majority of a motorhomer's use, any navigation, whatever the make, is likely to depend on either Here (Navteq) or Teleatlas (TomTom) mapping. (interestingly enough, Primo can, under certain circumstances, use either)

Accordingly, the basic routing capability is likely to be very similar.

The design and implementation of the user-interface, and the underlying logic, however, can make a significant difference to your experience. Lenny describes how Primo allows you to look at alternative routes easily, and decide which is best. What I like is the ease with which it allows me to determine a route to a particular point, and then easily tweak it to my own satisfaction (even when on the move).

Having resolved the use of POIs - the implementation and the use of which is very good on IGO devices - I wouldn't currently look at other software.

Patently, however, much comes down to personal use and preference.

Robinhood - 2015-01-28 11:41 AM

The design and implementation of the user-interface, and the underlying logic, however, can make a significant difference to your experience. Lenny describes how Primo allows you to look at alternative routes easily, and decide which is best. What I like is the ease with which it allows me to determine a route to a particular point, and then easily tweak it to my own satisfaction (even when on the move).

The way it handles Way Points is streaks ahead of anything else, allowing editing, deleting & adding of way points in a way that is not possible on other systems, even SWMO agrees it was worth the extra expense.

• 3 weeks later...
Robinhood - 2015-01-28 8:59 AM

IGO Primo is, IMO, about the best Navigation Software implementation you can get. Many people who have tried it say they wouldn't go back to TomTom or Garmin.

How well it works in a specific case will depend quite a lot on the hardware on which it is installed, though there has been decent feedback around many of the forums about the cheap eBay devoices supplied with it installed.

A word of warning, however. AFAIK the cheap versions on eBay are running "cracked" (pirated) versions of the software, not supported by NavnGo (the software supplier). An official copy of Primo software alone to run on devices supported by NavnGo generally costs as much if not more than the overall cost of buying a cheap satnav from eBay.

Given that the software has to be configured to run on a particular device, and is only officially supported on certain devices, running a pirated copy (even ignoring any legal implications) is always going to be a risk.

Official support (and map updating) is carried out through the Naviextras.com website, from which a list of officially supported devices can be obtained. An eBay device may point you at some other site for map downloads, but these again are likely to be pirated, and the level and duration of support is therefore questionable.

Any device bought in such a manner is likely to be OK for the immediate future (but illegal) - how long it will remain updateable is questionable. (Though a Win CE6 device might give you the option to obtain another, different navigation package by more acceptable routes, if you feel confident at doing some configuration with it!)

Hi Robinhood,

My snooper 7000 trucker is ready for map update at a cost of £90. I am currently changing back to a caravan and wondered whether to buy another satnav instead of paying this amount[the original unit bought in 2010] . Could you help in informing me of the best source for the primo igo [legal] and what I will miss from the snooper is the poi's of acsi/ c.c sites etc. Can they be easily loaded on the primo?

Thanks for any advice you may give.

cheers

derek

derek pringle - 2015-02-13 10:47 AM

Hi Robinhood,

My snooper 7000 trucker is ready for map update at a cost of £90. I am currently changing back to a caravan and wondered whether to buy another satnav instead of paying this amount[the original unit bought in 2010] . Could you help in informing me of the best source for the primo igo [legal] and what I will miss from the snooper is the poi's of acsi/ c.c sites etc. Can they be easily loaded on the primo?

Thanks for any advice you may give.

cheers

derek

I find putting POIs on IGO devices relatively easy, but some work in converting the files and/or editing the files for best results is sometimes required.

(a number of download sources provide .kml files of their locations -those that don't require a conversion process from say TomTom or CSV format to be run).

The appropriate format resulting files are simply copied into predefined locations on the IGO software source (often an SD card).

An issue that you may find with devices is that the majority of those easily available in the UK are combined radio/satnavs, and thus come out toward the upper end of costings (and require fitting to a vehicle).

Though legal "hand held" devices are available (as is an Iphone/Ipad app) these are generally available elsewhere than the UK (Australia is common, and of course, these don't have EU maps pre-installed - though they can be retro-purchased).

A search on eBay pulls up a list (though be careful of the "illegals").

As an aside, last week I read a review of a Mazda by Honest John of The Telegraph. He made great play of it having the best OE Satnav he'd ever seen - IGO Primo, I believe.

Archived