Sat Navs

Delfin Driver

I know that this subject has been discussed in general before but I am trying to find out whether anyone knows of a system (UK & European) that allows you to plan-out single-track roads. Have discovered a software download that plots low bridges (UK only) but can't get anywhere with narrow roads. Also am thinking about the TomTom One Europe (if I can't find one that covers narrow roads) and would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks in advance.

DD

a lot of sat-navs allow you to enter the type of vehical you are driving ie= car, bike, lorry. ect. if you enter a larger vehical it wont take you down single tracks. i have a sony u50t,and i enter lorry and have never been sent down one

• 1 month later...
i use the sony nv50t,this givs you the option to say if you are bike, car, fast car,or,most important a lorry or large vehical.in all the time i have used it i have never been sent down a narrow road let alone a single track(i drive a galaxy mx motorhome nearly seven feet wide

Why Narrow track roads ? I used my Pioneer for a route in Denmark in Aug. Looked OK, even the paper map showed it as passing the seashore.

Got to it, and drove about 3 miles to find barrier.

It was National Cycle Route only.

Had to reverse all the way, hauling my motorcycle trailer. 8o| 8o| >:-(

I believe that there are only 2 organisations that do the actual maps and all the satnavs use one ot the other. None of these give actual road widths (or bridge heights either) so when a system purports to set up for a car, truck etc. all it will do is avoid minor roads, by their classification I think.

If I'm wrong I'll be happy to know :$

I have tested the different vehicle types in 3-4 different satnavs and the only difference I can find in the route is the amount of time for the journey due to the different speed limits of the vehicles.

On my mio I can tell/ask it to avoid certain roads such as Motorways but the narrow lane problem is still there.

Only sure way I have found is to also use a map to plan you route and avoid B roads where possible, and always follow the directions given by campsites for the last few miles.

• 2 weeks later...
Just going off the subject slightly.I recently bought a Garmin Nuvi 660 for the M/H because it was a touchscreen & much easier to use.As I didnt get any takers when advertising the 4 year old Garmin Pilot 3 I fitted it to my motorbike.In the M/H it was crystal clear to use.Its supposed to be waterproof & suitable for use on a bike but its almost impossible to see whats on the screen when outside with the sky above even with a shroud fitted along the top & sides.In my shed it is perfectly clear,outside next to u/s.It is mounted directly in front almost at mouth level because I know it deteriates if viewed at an angle,all the brightness & contrast settings are at max, Garmin didnt want to comment on the fact at all .Anyone else had this problem? >:-)

Guest starspirit

Reflections from a Heki skylight can cause sat nav visibility problems but angling the screen usually overcomes this.

Problem is the mounts do not usually have enough movement.

I cured this by making a mount that fits over the speedo cowl and has a more widely variable angle.

Not only is the device closer to me which helps my tired old eyes see it more clearly but I simply lift it off and hide when parked leaving no sucker marks on the glass.

• 1 month later...

I have FREE to Good Home ;-) a Garmin City Navigator CD for North America v5.

hubby has been clearing out his cupboards and as we won't be visiting the US this may be useful to anyone going there who might need one in the Motorhome or hire car?

It has premium detailed maps throughout the US and a select coverage in Canada. Any takers - send me a PM - ta! :-D

I'm sure there was a buying/selling section but can't find it *-)

Archived