Satnav

Silver Roamers

I want to purchase a satnav for my motorhome. I like the idea of a 6/7" display. The 2 major clubs offer their dedicated unit with their sites included. Is that worth the premium. With built in vehicle dimensions would be sensible. Lifetime updates need to be included. Garmin & TomTom appear to be the major players. Any comments/advise. Thanks

I am a 'Luddite' and use a map issued in 2009 for France. The vast majority of it is still valid. The MH has a state of the art Alpine radio/sat nav unit fitted, by the dealer, but I have yet to figure out how it works. I did try the manual but it was so complicated, I gave up and just switched it off. My son has promised to show me how to operate it, but as I told him I know the road to Spain as we have used it for many years now, what is the point? I am now known by the family as a 'dinosaur'. At least we do not end up stuck up a narrow lane, as I read happens to so many HGV's.

I prefer our Garmin; my wife prefers our TomTom. To me, the Garmin is crystal clear in performance. I find 5" screens big enough.

If you have a large motorhome, say 6.5m or longer, then it might make sense to go for one which enables you to add vehicle size and weight. On the continent, there is also merit in being able to easily access data on campsites but in the UK, I don't think it's that important, especially if you use club sites. I stayed away from the Caravan Club's Snooper because I read reports about it being unreliable. They sell another make now.

Like Dave225, I have a soft spot for paper maps, although I replace mine every 3 - 5 years. A Truckers Atlas is great for the UK if you have a big motorhome, otherwise we prefer the AZ series. In the UK, I just list the roads and places on a bit of paper as I know where I am going most of the time. On the continent, we use Michelin maps. My wife is an excellent map reader either way. Maps appeal because they encourage spacial consciousness. We both end up arguing with the satnav.

Unless you tour exclusively in UK, and use club sites, I would not bother with the "club" editions. There are extensive free downloadable databases of POIs for campsites etc (for example Archies) on the net, that can be easily self-installed on both Garmin and TomTom devices.

This is not generally possible with Snooper devices where only Snooper can install additional POIs.

Be aware that the mapping on sat navs only includes road width information where legal restrictions are in place. There are many thousands of roads, both in UK and abroad, that are narrow (in some cases vary narrow! :-)) but have no legal restriction on vehicle width, which your sat-nav will happily route you down. You need to check routes before using them. The mapped height and weight restrictions, OTOH, are fine.

However, all maps are to an extent historic documents, and restrictions on the ground may not reflect what any map shows, especially where speed limits are involved. The sat-nav will give an accurate indication of your actual speed, but I would not rely on a sat-nav as an indication of speed limits currently in force. Most will be OK, but a substantial number will not - and it can't tell you which!

I also prefer maps. i like to check where we are going.Also change them about every 3 years, as the French have a habit of turning roads into paying motorways! OH prefers Sat Nav But still manges to take the wrong exits from roundabouts. (probably because we are RHD ). and usually use van over the water

As the Satnav was going to be moved from vehicle to vehicle (wife's car, son's and the motorhome) I decided to go for a cheapy. The Noza Tec unit has proved excellent over the last year and all for £35.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Noza-Tec-Navigation-System-Navigator/dp/B00LXRLMHY

Larger and truck version are available but I do not see the need. As Brian states they are only as good as the available mapping data which in many areas is poor.

I did have an argument with the satnav and in a fit of temper told it to get lost. It told me where to go. Sorry I'll get on with some work now.

Archived