Securing bikes in motorhome garage

Maznmart

Hello. Can anyone give a first-time motorhomer advice and tips on securing two push bikes in the garage compartment please? We haven't as yet got the vehicle but would like to be prepared by getting any necessary rails and straps. I realise you can go for the expensive Fiamma supports but if anyone can suggest a cheaper/easier arrangement it would be very helpful. Obviously other paraphenalia will have to go inside the garage too.

Any help would be appreciated

Depends a bit (lot! :-)) on the bikes and the garage. If you have full sized bikes and not folders, with quick release wheels, I have found the most compact arrangement (that leaves maximum space for other items) is to remove at least one wheel from each bike (I take both from one, one from the other), invert the bikes, turn the handlebars parallel to the frame, and use cargo straps rigged between the high and low level attachments to stabilise in transit. I then use additional webbing straps to secure the wheels, and lengths of foam pipe insulation to pad the frames at critical points. Both bikes are fitted with MKS removable pedals (great bits of kit, fitted/removed literally in seconds), which takes care of the most annoying hazard while loading. Probably sounds a bit extreme but, with QR wheels, it is surprising how quickly they can be removed and reassembled, and packed away again.

Nothing compares with the sheer convenience of a rear mounted bike rack, but the bikes are vulnerable to theft and, in bad weather get filthy even under a cover.

A rack in the garage would be the next most convenient method, but two fully assembled bikes stored side by side will take a lot of space. As ever, it is a matter of finding the compromise that will suit your own preferences.

Here's a handy hint - worked a treat for me....

I realised these 'purpose built' racks were bloody expensive and actually take up a lot of room - so I purchased a couple of cheap car roof mounted racks, and adapted them.

I simply bolted them through the garage floor [using decent backing plates and S/S fastenings] the advantage is that these can still be used as intended - a 'stand alone' set up, as they would if roof mounted.

I simply roll the bikes into the garage on the track/groove and then swing up and tighten the retaining arm, so in effect they are free-standing. I have one bike facing in and the other out to optimise space.

You need to ensure you get them in the best position, and do a bit of tweaking....

They work really well, and take up half the space. Another bonus [apart from only costing me about 30 quid] is that if you are not taking bikes for any reason its only the height of the garage that's affected, as the whole thing lays relatively flat.

They are available in Halfrauds, Argos - in fact just about anywhere!

Hi

Depending on the size of the garage, you could get a bike rack(4) cut it in half so you have both wheels in the rack.. Very cheap off the bay.. Or fit brackets to the roof and hang them from the roof if floor space was needed, but would need a device to stop them swinging..

image.jpeg.6235788cc677c2138b86e13a8e19a213.jpeg

...my bikes are currently carried on a chassis-mounted bike rack, but in the previous two 'vans they were transported in the garage.

I had the "luxury" of securing rails with eye-bolts at the top and bottom of the rear garage wall.

Bikes were prepared for travel by removing the pedals (I now use specific quick-release removable pedals), turning the handlebars through 90 degrees, and padding one side (forks etc) of one of them with re-usable lengths of pipe lagging.

The first (padded) bike was placed against the rear wall of the garage, and bungees used to secure it to the eye-bolts.

A short Fiamma bike arm was then clamped to the frame, in such a position that it could also be clamped to the frame of the second bike, to "space" it, and then this bike was placed, "top to tail" alongside the first, clamped as described, and again bungeed to the eye-bolts.

Finally, two short pieces of wood were placed tightly between the front and rear wheels respectively of the bikes, to ensure they remained spaced at floor level (the outer bike being at some tension from the bungees).

As an arrangement, it was reasonably easy to use, and had the advantage of utilising as little of the garage as was possible (leaving space for other outdoor stuff) at low cost.

Practice made perfect as regards getting the bungees in places that totally inhibited movement, but I did a good few miles over the years with no problems, despite some rough roads, and a few emergency stops!

The above idea seem quite a chore, although I daresay work OK.

I use no straps, leave the pedals on [although I'll concede that removable ones would be better] I do remove the handlebars, but only because of height restrictions.

As I said, I use them in exactly the way they were intended if roof mounted - slot wheels in track, swing up arm and clamp to frame - and they are nice and rigid in transit.

When I moved up from a 6mt to 7mt van, not having to factor in the extra half a metre of bike rack by having a good sized garage that could take bikes, swung the deal.

I don't find this any more of a chore than mounting them on a rear rack, with the added bonus of them not getting covered in crud.

We have 2 fold up electric bikes and a motorbike in our garage. The motorbike is strapped down with 4 ratchet straps.The electric bikes sit against our cut down bread trays* on the rear wall and are wedged in position between the motorbike and bread trays using a couple of old airbeds rolled up in bags (originally bin bags but I've now knocked up a couple of bespoke bags). These are pumped up to the desired size with a simple pump and they wedge the bikes in position. Easy to adjust the pressure to suit and it also helps protect the motorbike. Simply pull out the bungs, the bags deflate and the bikes are all easily available. The lilo's are used to lounge around on on site, or in the water. Multi-functionality I reckon!

(* bread trays used for muddy/soft ground)

Thanks very much for all the advice. There's certainly a lot to think about. Our bikes are one quite expensive Hardtail mountain bike and the other one is electric with front wheel motor so it wouldn't be easy taking the front wheel off. It seems that securing struts on the floor and one rear wall anchor rail would be the best option but it sounds from all your advice that I may need to do a lot of tweaking to get it right.

I am probably trying to run before I can walk so I will just have to wait until I get the van.

Thanks again

• 4 weeks later...
We have two full size e-bike, they are a bit tight height wise as they have 28" wheels. One bike goes in one way round the other the opposite. I have removable peddles on both not essential but makes life easy, I have a couple of pieces of high density packing foam about 2' sq 1" thick that goes between front forks/rear forks at each end. Secure the bikes with a cam lock straps around the frames to lower and upper eyebolts and a karabina hooked bungee straps around the headsets at each end to eyebolts in the upper rail.

Archived