Should I replace Gel batteries with Gel batteries?

pilgrim

It seems that my leisure batteries may need replacing, I currently have 2 number 210 amp hour Exide Gel batteries. This is the 1st time I've had gels as all previous vans had traditional wet batteries. Are gels worth the extra cost?

Thanks in anticipation

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums.

On-line adverts suggest that like-for-like replacement would cost around £800

http://www.caravantechnology.com/%2FExide-Gel-210Ah-ES2400-P49.aspx

http://www.tayna.co.uk/ES2400-Exide-G210-Marine-and-Multifit-Gel-Leisure-Battery-P7697.html

That’s a lot of money to shell out unless your motorhome (It might be helpful to have details - make, model and year of manufacture) and motorcaravanning lifestyle will genuinely benefit from having such large-capacity mainenance-free batteries that can be installed in any position (ie. inverted if convenient) and that are able to be seriously and regularly deep-cycled. Regarding value-for-money, there’s also the matter of how long you envisage keeping your present motorhome.

Opting for traditional ‘wet acid’ batteries would certainly be cheaper, with Banner’s deep-cycle “Energy Bull” 96801 being no larger dimensionally than the Exide battery and likely to cost about £540 for a pair. But Energy Bull batteries should be vented if located inside the motorhome.

http://www.tayna.co.uk/Banner-Energy-Bull-Leisure-Battery-96801-P8273.html

This December 2014 forum discussion should indicate how difficult it is to advise on leisure-battery choice.

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Leisure-Battery-choice-and-usage-on-holiday-/36790/

Thanks Derek,

We have a 7 year old Carthago M Liner. The battery compartment is vented so I can use wet acid batteries if wanted.

As far as lifestyle goes, we have only just got the Carthago but expect to use it as our last vehicle (Euramobil Integra) ie the winter is typically spent on sites in warmer climes and the summer spent touring Northern/central europe mostly off grid.

We have an Alden Phenix auto tracking solar panel for when we're not on EHU plus a on board generator for emergencies (I don't care what anyone says, they are noisy).

Obviously I'm all for saving a few quid but equally I don't mind paying for the right thing.

I should add that I'm not the most technical person and I've never topped up a battery in the 11 years I've been motorhoming but I have had to buy replacements for both of the previous vans.

I'll read the links next!

I’d swap like for like, especially if you’re not going to check electrolyte levels. AGM batteries could be a compromise but, on a vehicle like yours, and if you intend to keep it, I’d stick with gel. Be aware that you’d need to change the charger settings from gel to acid if you change things. The charging regime is different for each. Also, don’t skimp by changing just one battery, change the whole bank and make sure they are identical.

pilgrim - 2015-02-02 5:10 PM

Thanks Rogher, I think that is probably very wise advice. Now to find the best price!

No problem.

Not all Gel batteries are the same. Just like motorhomes, you tend to get what you pay for. Clearly, you’ll need batteries that will fit your bay. After that, I’d use the simple formula of £/Kg to determine value. The quoted Ah is only a rough guide.

Best of luck!

I decided to go with the same Exide Gels as existing, Tayna Batteries gave me a discount off the website price so placed the order with them. It then suddenly occured to me that the batteries may be under the dealer warranty, so I contacted Southdown who immediately said they were. A call to Tayna and they canceled the order and the batteries should arrive on Friday ( all 140kg).

Great service from both companies.

pilgrim - 2015-02-04 3:29 PM

I decided to go with the same Exide Gels as existing, Tayna Batteries gave me a discount off the website price so placed the order with them. It then suddenly occured to me that the batteries may be under the dealer warranty, so I contacted Southdown who immediately said they were. A call to Tayna and they canceled the order and the batteries should arrive on Friday ( all 140kg).

Great service from both companies.

How the hell do you lift them in and out and have you got a reinforced floor in the battery compartment.

Alan

Archived