Sites in Austria/Switzerland

Guest ajd3

Has anybody been to Austria or Switzerland with their camper? We are tentatively planning to go next June (depends on the results of the next 3 games in the Euro 2008 qualifying). The cities being used for the games are: Geneva; Bern; Basel; Zurich; Innsbruck; Salzburg; Vienna & Klagenfurt. We are trying to do a little forward planning, so we can book up as soon as the draw is made. Any info gratefully received, thanks

Guest caraprof

Superb site in Salzburg is Camping Nord Sam. It's about three miles from the city centre but feels very rural, being in woods. The bus stops right outside the site to take you to the centre or many other attractions.

One tip, buy the Salzburg Card, which gets you travel on all buses and entrance into loads of attractions. It can save you a lot of money but its main attraction for me was the convenience.

Camping Nord-Sam is a family-owned site. It has no club, bingo or other dubious attractions but it has a pool and is clean and well run and could not be more convenient for what in my book is one of the nicest cities in Europe.

It's in the Caravan Club Europe 2 book, which I strongly recommend that you buy. You don't have to be a CC member by the way to purchase it.

Guest caraprof

I'm posting this to keep it in a prominent position. I can't believe that no one else is prepared to help this new user. What must he or she think?

Surely there must be many others out there with experience of sites in the list he's given?

Innsbruck - try Kranebitten, it's within city limits.

Klagenfurt - look in the Dobriach area.

Geneva - 2 sites just outside.

Vienna - at least 3 to my knowledge.

Berne - just outside with public transport available.

Basel & Zurich - I don't know.

Try a poke round the following -

http://www.eurocampings.co.uk/en/europe/switzerland/

http://www.eurocampings.co.uk/en/europe/austria/

;-)

Bern - If it were me I can think of nothing better than to base myself at Interlaken (Camping 'Lazy Rancho' or 'Hobby') on Lake Thun, among fantastic scenery and with more outdoor activities to engage in than can be handled in a score of visits, including climbing the Eiger - alright then watching! There is a direct rail link to Bern, about forty miles.

Caraprof, I'm not thinking anything bad of anyone for not responding immediately. I'm aware my request was a bit vague as I won't know for definite if this will be our destination next summer or where we will be based for a while (keep an eye on Scotland's Euro 2008 campaign). Also, the request was just to put out early feelers as I'm not on this forum very regularly (once or twice a week at most) and just assume that other people are busy too.

Thanks to those who have replied, for the suggestions so far. I'll check out the links and start collating info, so when we qualify I'll be ready to book up straight away.

BTW, I'm a 'she'

Net-traveller, thanks for the links, I've just had a quick look at them. I'd no idea there were so many campsites in those countries. I've got the links bookmarked and will have a good look at them soon (got a new kitchen to install first . . .)

Caraprof, I forgot to say in earlier post, thanks for posting to keep this topic visible - much appreciated.

Hi ajd3

You'll have more luck with replies if you post this request in the main motorhome section as not many people venture into the Hints and Tips bit, it was originally set up for people to post their own Hints and Tips for people to take advantage of, rather than to ask for HInts and Tips, if you see what I mean. :-D

Are you by any chance thinking of doing a bit of camping on aires, stellplatz etc, rather than just on sites?

Thanks Mel B, I'll try and copy my initial post and put it on the main forum. I thought hints & tips worked both ways and didn't want to clog up the main forum unnecessarily.

We may do odd nights (transit stops) on aires (don't know what a stellplatz is) but will be looking for a site for 10-14 days initially, preferably one that takes tents as we expect to meet up with friends who will have tents.

Hi ajd

Stellplatz are the German etc equivalent of the French aires. You might find that you go a bit stir crazy if you stay on the same site for that length of time, I suggest you stay for no more than 7 nights on the same site, taking into account your friends' tenting needs, so that you have a bit of variety and don't get fed up of having to travel back to the same place all the time.

Archived