Snipe Satellite - are you in the picture?

Thurlestone

I have seen the Snipe satellite system whilst attending a number of shows and wondered if it would do as good a job as my present Oyster dish when I change my van. It looks lighter and easy to set up but would appreciate any information from anyone who has set one up on their roof and its ease of use and quality of signal it provides.

Thanks

Thurlestone.

I believe Donna has one of these.

I have a 'panel' which is the same type but larger as one of my 'dishes' at home, my larger panel is about same performance as a good quality 60cm dish, so the claims of this smaller panel are typical sales bulls**t, in fact on tests they are rated as about same as sky mini dish.

We have a Snipe and we had an Oyster on the last van.

Very pleased with the snipe only used it so far in northen France but have seen reports on other forums of them picking up the UK beam half way down France that would suggest the they live up to their claims.

We are using our one with the built in tuner on the TV so if you change saterlites you have to re-tune and your favoites get deleted, a bit anoying after being spoilt with the Oyster where it goes off and finds the right saterlite for the chosen channel.

Our reason for choosing the Snipe was half the weight & a third of the price. I know two other people with them both very pleased, one had a fault (in warranty) phoned Avetx on Monday they collected it Tuesday and it was returned on Friday.

Thanks for your replies as I am convinced that the reasons for purchase given and the operative results make it worthwhile to buy. We are hoping to buy a new van but it does not come with any television set up so we are going to fit the Snipe and probably get the Avtex aerial as well for when we are pitched in areas where satellite is not available.

Thurlestone - New User

• 1 month later...

Sorry, only just seen the post but yes we've got one and find it's great. Can't speak for use out of the UK but apart from one instance when we parked right under a tree the dish aligns within 30 seconds or so.

We haven't fixed it to the roof and put it up through the skylight. I do like the multi satellite options and would recommend it to anyone.

• 2 weeks later...

Reception update.

Locked onto Astra 2 in La Garde-Adhemar in Provance, 38km north of Orange.

All main channels OK, More4 & BBC3 a bit pixely. Tried it the following morning when we had a bit of rain too pixely to watch, but once the rain stopped picture clear even with heavy cloud.

A few Km west of Murat in the Massif Central picture was perfect.

• 1 month later...

If you want Astra 2 with the normal UK channels you will need a 1.2 to 2m dish depending where you are.

If you have a Sky box you can pick up a lot of the UK channels with a smaller dish.

If you use the forums search facility you can find a lot of info on using Sky boxes in Spain.

fesspark - 2014-11-13 2:32 PM

Thanks for the answer, according to the seller the fixing plate comes with (from Germany) it.must order the adhesive though, cheers fesspark

Who are you getting it from? When I brought mine there was only one company that would supply the plate for self fitting and it was an additional £92.

I looked at German dealers found it was cheaper in the UK, that must be a first. (lol)

That is very cheap if buying from them I would check it is the separate mounting plate for fixed mounting that is included also the warranty situation. It just seems a bit too cheap.

My mate's one developed a fault and mine recently had a fault both of us had them replaced in less than a week by Avtex, they arranged for carrier to pick up and a couple of days later received a brand new unit.

fesspark - 2014-11-20 3:21 PM

Hello again, had the snipe sat aerial delivered yesterday, comes with all the kit, the fixing plate is impressive, Just got to fit it now when I have tested it, Cheers all fesspark

That was a good price 200 quid less than what I paid.

I brought my Clarion stereo from Germany that was over a 100 quid cheaper than in the UK & the Hymer was 10-12 grand cheaper in Belgium, go old old rip off Britain.

hello again, when not on electric, 130 solar panel,2x 90 ah btys; if I connect the tv,,sat receiver and aerial controller,snipe, would it drain the batteries quickly or would it last a while when fully charged,? I have dim plugs fitted in my m,home and would connect to them ? Fesspark

As a rough guide, with 85w panel and one batery, lcd Vision plus tv, skybox converted to 12v, i-sat dish, some halogen lights, struggled a bit at this time of year. Changing to led Avtex tv(which includes sat decoder) led lights and no problems at all.

Once the Snipe has logged on to a satellite you can turn the control box off. For the rest of it, it depends on what you are using, we have a 19" Cello TV with built in sat receiver only draws 1.5 amps. our power setup is 2 x 95 a/h AGM batteries & 2 x 100 watt solar panels so far never even come close to running the batteries down but not used for any period of time in winter conditions.

Archived