Sound Insulation

mike19841

I've added engine bay soundproofing to an X240 and an X250 and whilst there was some slight improvement on the older van there was none on the newer van and I only did it because I had the materials left over from a van conversion may years ago!

The floor battery cover on the X250 is a poor fit and the tray below is edge of the cover has helped somewhat even though it is not quite so easy to fix it down now!

I've never tried the engine blanket type as I feel that modern engines run plenty hot enough and need their ventilation as the maker designed - I may be wrong?

As far as the caravan bit goes- a good quality foam underlay topped with a good quality thickly woven carpet works wonders for both road noise and feet warmth, although I do understand why some people prefer the hard floor covering as easier to keep clean !

Sit in the cab on a windy day with the bonnet open and doors closed and see where else air - and noise - is entering the cab and conversion and you may well be amazed at the volume of unintended ventilation due to sloppy design and even sloppier build!

Sound-insulation kits branded “Noisekiller” have been the most widely marketed in the UK. These are advertised on the NK Group website Robinhood provided a link to:

http://www.nkgroup.co.uk/noisekiller/

As Tracker suggests, the noisier the vehicle is to begin with the greater the improvement a kit is likely to make.

GOOGLE on “noisekiller” for plenty of discussion.

Tracker - 2015-01-24 4:39 PM

The floor battery cover on the X250 is a poor fit and the tray below is edge of the cover has helped somewhat even though it is not quite so easy to fix it down now!

That bit should have read -

The battery compartment floor cover panel on an X250 is a poor fit and the well containing the battery is full of holes that let both wind and noise in.

Having ensured the battery vent tube goes out through one hole in the bottom of the tray, that hole and all the other holes can be sealed or covered with either dumdum type paste or duck tape to reduce wind and noise ingress.

I then applied thick draught excluder tape all round the cover and refitted it. It was a bit of a struggle to refit but at least it is fully airtight now and that alone reduces cab noise levels.

Archived