Sticky gear lever on Boxer

twill

Hi Twill,

I had a similar problem on my Boxer van its because the gear change linkage needed lubricating. If you have a look at the the right hand side of the engine where the gear shift cables operate the selecter linkages and gearbox selecter rods, they will most likely be dry and a bit rusty this area seems to collect the crap from the front wheel. Get some one to sit in the cab and move the gear stick as you spray the area with WD 40 you should feel it free up then give the whole lot a good dose of spray grease and you should be Ok. I gease mine twice a year and have had no further trouble.Hope this solves your problem

Geoff

Hi Neighbours,

On a clear day we can see over to cumbria, we probably share some of the same weather.

I put the problem down to the salty atmosphere here, I live on a hill close to the sea, facing Ireland so we get the bad weather before it gets to you. hope my solution works for you let me know how you get on. Regards Geoff

:-D

Geoff, sorry not replied sooner!

Your suggestion worked a treat, like driving a new van!

I had it "chipped" at TB turbos a few weeks ago, with that & a smooth gear change makes it a pleasure to drive.

To anyone else reading, It is worth, as Geoff suggest, lubricating the linkage, it was one of those things that creep up on you, I thought the gear change was a little stiffer every I time I drove the van, but did`nt know if it was jumping from the car to van.

Anyway a well pleased user of the site.

Cheers Geoff

Tel

:-D

Geoff, sorry not replied sooner!

Your suggestion worked a treat, like driving a new van!

I had it "chipped" at TB turbos a few weeks ago, with that & a smooth gear change makes it a pleasure to drive.

To anyone else reading, It is worth, as Geoff suggest, lubricating the linkage, it was one of those things that creep up on you, I thought the gear change was a little stiffer every I time I drove the van, but did`nt know if it was jumping from the car to van.

Anyway a well pleased user of the site.

Cheers Geoff

Tel

Archived