Strawberries

Wingpete

Why is it that strawberries grown in England (yes, I do mean England) have a vastly superior taste to those from other parts of the world.?

Even the French ones tried recently seem to be devoid of the succulence of sweet tasting English varieties. (lol)

I agree, that's why my other half brought our own strawberry plants with us when we moved here. Need some new ones now and will bring some back next time we are in the UK.

You can't beat english strawberries, although the Alpine variety take some beating but are fiddely to pick but beautiful to taste.

Wingpete - 2007-06-04 7:03 AM Why is it that strawberries grown in England (yes, I do mean England) have a vastly superior taste to those from other parts of the world.? Even the French ones tried recently seem to be devoid of the succulence of sweet tasting English varieties. (lol)

Probably because they don't have to travel as far before they reach the end user.

Strawberries grown for the UK market in southern France or Huelva and Alicante in Spain are generally varieties that have a long shelf life rather than flavour. Varieties that are grown in France or Spain for their own domestic market are equal in flavour to the UK varieties.

Another example is peaches grown in Italy for their own market are probably the best flavoured you can buy, yet the varieties exported to the UK are poor in comparison.

This applies to most fruits or vegetables. 

Soft fruits improve as you travel North, so Scotland is better than England and Scandinavian countries great - try cloudberries sometime.

The problem with Strawberries is that most places grow Elsanta - which is the strawberry world's answer to Iceberg lettuce. Anything but is usually brilliant - and we had some really tasty sweet small strawberries last year in France, much better than the dreaded Elsanta that we bought on our return to the UK - and they were Scottish.

B-)

Archived