Transporting our dog securely in a Motorhome

Photosbykev

Hi, my first post so please be gentle lol.

I'm looking to retire the end of this year at the ripe old age of 57 and 'do' Europe on and off for a couple of years with my wife and Bailey, a medium sized Golden Retriever in a 2 berth motorhome. Chosing the motorohome is going to be bad enough with a thousand and one things to consider but and it's a huge BUT.

If we can't sort out how to travel safely with our dog then the tour probably won't happen as we just couldn't leave her behind.

At the moment she travels with us in a purpose made hammock suspended between the front and rear head rests on the car wearing a body harness anchored into the seat belt system. This gives her a small amount of freedom to turn around and make herself comfortable and means we can travel around knowing she is safe and just as important we are safe from her should there be an accident.

Are there similar systems for motorhomes that can be anchored to a MH floor to protect Bailey because I'm struggling to see an obvious solution to what must be a common problem.

best regards

Kev

Hi Kev...

It may be worth trying "search our forums", as this is something that does come up from time to time.

Also "Motorhome Matters" tends to get far more views/responses than this section..

(just be aware that it can get a bit "heated" on there occasionally, especially where the likes of dogs are ,mentioned ).

Although no longer a dog owner, I would recommend looking at some form of soft crate, used with a harness securely anchored rearwards of the cab (around a table pedestal? or a D ring bolted/plated through somewhere sturdy?).

http://www.doggiesolutions.co.uk/dog-soft-crate-8842-0.html

However, some dog owners on here are appalled at such things as crates and harnesses etc, instead preferring to rely on their dog(s) just staying put... :-S

I chose a rear transverse bunk layout so I could put a net up in the gap. It worked for a while but now they curl up in the passenger footwell next to the heater.

Tucked in tight against the bulkhead.

Some have them under the table in a dinette layout, where you could keep the same hammock system.

Kev, dogs and motorhomes are made for each other. There are different types of cages and restraints available and I suggest you go a search to find them and chose one that best suits your dog and style of motorhoming. Earlier this week I was at a site in Bristol and the neighbour's Border Collie travelled in a collapsible metal cage. It suited them.

You can buy wooden gates to go across the habitation doorway when you stop so you can restrict the risk of the dog escaping whilst having the door open.On sites, some people put the dog in a 'garage model' with access from both sides [doors stay open] and a gate across the opening. A garage model is a motorhome with a large storage area at the rear underneath the internal rear beds.

On site, dogs need to be on a lead so the usual approach is a screw stake in the ground and an attached 3m lead.

Have a look at this for starters:

http://www.motorholme.tv/2012/05/13/top-10-tips-for-taking-pets-motorhoming/

Continental countries may have different requirements so you need to check with whatever foreign authorities that are appropriate.

Out & About Live has a range of guides to help you with your motorhome purchase

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/buyers-guide/motorhomes/

We have a 4 berth motorhome, our dog wears a travel harness which clips into one of the set belt connections. One thing to bear in mind that in several countries, Germany for one, dogs must be restrained in a vehicle when travelling.

When we are travelling with our grandchildren on board then the dog's harness has a lead clipped to it which is threaded through the bottom of my seat belt when it connects to the seat, not perfect but at least she is restrained! Perhaps you could rig up something like this.

• 4 weeks later...
Well I'll just tell you what we do with our lovely dog Ruby whilst travelling. We put her in a smallish cage which is just big enough for her to change position and turn around. We have a rear lounge area in our six berth and we site the cage on the floor between the rear seats which just means we need a means of securing the cage so that it doesn't propel forward when braking. The solution for us is to put a metal tube across the gangway, just in front of the cage and and rear of the wardrobe wall on one side and the washroom wall on the other side. The tube fits under the seat cushions on both sides of the van as it is around 18 inches wider than the gangway and in the event of an emergency the wardrobe and washroom walls will take the strain. Ruby has her usuall blankets and snuggles quite happily as we roll along. Our solution l'm quite sure will not be for everyone but it works for us. Whatever solution you adopt good luck and happy motoring.

• 3 weeks later...
Our dog is left to roam the whole of the motorhome.................................except he never does, he jumps up onto the settee lies down and goes to sleep with his backside up against the arm of the settee travelling backwards in effect. Never moves other than sitting up to take a looksee before getting his head down again until we stop for a wee break. ;-)

We have a 2 berth motorhome and a border collie (called Flower) he travels led down on the rear seat, he wears a harness which is attached to a seat belt anchor point, I got the seat belt anchor point out of a scrap car at our local scrap yard and fitted it to the bed frame under the cushion, he is quite content to just lie there and sleep, but has enough free play on the belt to change his position as and when required, but if the worst came to the worst not enough free play to allow him to be thrown around the van due to sudden braking or an accident.

Yes his name is Flower, Why ?

'cause he's a collie flower.

Regards

Phil

• 5 years later...

We had a rear lounge Motorhome, the benches pulled out to give two single beds. We had a firm hook screwed into the side of bench, drivers side, so passenger could turn to see if ok. Dog had harness which clipped in safely. Job done. Also had comfy rug for him to sit on whilst driving.

Good luck

Ian

Spadge - 2015-12-06 6:27 PM

Our dog is left to roam the whole of the motorhome.................................except he never does, he jumps up onto the settee lies down and goes to sleep with his backside up against the arm of the settee travelling backwards in effect. Never moves other than sitting up to take a looksee before getting his head down again until we stop for a wee break. ;-)

That is how three dogs (border collies) over 40 plus years from pups to old girls and many thousands of miles in the UK and abroad always travelled with never a problem.

All we had to do was train the dogs to our way of travel and they all took to it well - so well that all we had to do was open a door to check the van and the dog was first in and straight up onto 'their' seat!

No doubt some will be appalled at our irresponsible approach but it worked for us and we were all happy and we would do the same again if it arises.

The relevant legal requirement in UK is that dogs must be restrained so that they cannot interfere with the driver, but there is no requirement for an effective restraint system to protect the dog in the event of a crash - which I sense is what the OP would like to have.

It’s worth bearing in mind that we motorhomers drive our vehicles much more sedately than most motorists and that almost all domestic pet dogs will naturally settle down into a position of comfort for a journey and doze if not fall asleep. That’s what ours do, every time.

So our largish dogs (Dalmatians) lie on the L-shaped settee behind our front seats. They wear dog harnesses with strops just long enough to reach anchorage points (we use the seat belt sockets) which prevent them interfering with the driver. They rest their chins where they can see what’s going on and doze comfortably. When we cross the Channel they get a biscuit as we leave them in the MH for the crossing and as far as we know they simply fall asleep; they are certainly at peace inside until they hear us put the key in the lock on our return.

We therefore avoid doing anything too elaborate or tightly restraining. It works for us.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Searching the forum certainly works. Like the OP we are novices and have bought our first two-berth motorhome and as it has inwards facing rear seats there are no seat belts.

This thread although full of sadly dead links had been helpful. Not to find somewhere to affix a boat mooring ring.

:)

As I pointed out last June, this forum discussion became inactive at the end of 2015, but was revived in June 2021 - it's hardly surprising then that a couple of the links posted over 6 years ago are now 'dead' or superseded

There is relevant advice on the Out&AboutLive website

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/articles/practical-advice/tips-for-travelling-with-dogs-in-a-motorhome-and-campervan

and a GOOGLE-search on "transporting pets in a motorhome" will retrieve lots more information/suggestions

https://tinyurl.com/5fukujee

The forum's "Search" feature is described in the Forum User Guide accessed at the top of the forum homepage.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Code-of-Conduct-and-User-Guidelines/Forum-User-Guide/Using-the-Search-feature/5671/

The guidance was provided when these forums came on stream in 2006 and the Search feature reflects its age. For searching these forums productively it's usually far better to use a more sophisticated and modern search methodology (like GOOGLE Advanced Search)

https://www.google.com/advanced_search

and specify the forum website by name

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/

• 7 months later...
On 10/20/2015 at 11:22 PM, Photosbykev said:

Hi, my first post so please be gentle lol.

I'm looking to retire the end of this year at the ripe old age of 57 and 'do' Europe on and off for a couple of years with my wife and Bailey, a medium sized Golden Retriever in a 2 berth motorhome. Chosing the motorohome is going to be bad enough with a thousand and one things to consider but and it's a huge BUT.

If we can't sort out how to travel safely with our dog then the tour probably won't happen as we just couldn't leave her behind.

At the moment she travels with us in a purpose made hammock suspended between the front and rear head rests on the car wearing a body harness anchored into the seat belt system. This gives her a small amount of freedom to turn around and make herself comfortable and means we can travel around knowing she is safe and just as important we are safe from her should there be an accident.

Are there similar systems for motorhomes that can be anchored to a MH floor to protect Bailey because I'm struggling to see an obvious solution to what must be a common problem.

best regards

Kev

Just by a dog harness With a seat belt connection on the end  Plug in the harness to the seat belt anchor Regards Colin

Archived