Truma Ultrastore Water Heater

Rusty

Has any one experienced water flowing out of the vent tube, the one from the hot water elbo (red) pipe, that go's in a loop.

When I fill the water system, and run the pump to fill the Truma, it dose not pressurize the system, water runs out through the vent pipe.

I would be gratful if any one could tell me what has got to be replaced, as the red elbo, dose not seam to be a valve.

Rusty

This problem has come up before on this forum relating to Truma C-Series heaters. See:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=15452&posts=18

In Truma's Installation Instructions (downloable from the Truma website) for the B10/B14 Ultrastore boiler, the part you mention is referred to as an "elbow with integrated breather valve" and, as you say, it attaches to the hot water outlet pipe towards the top of the boiler.

If taking the elbow/valve apart and cleaning it fails to effect a cure, then you'll need to obtain a replacement. Should this turn out to be the case, I suggest you give the technical guys at Truma(UK) a ring so that they can provide you with the correct Part Number. Contact details on:

http://www.trumauk.com/contact.asp

Rusty - 2009-12-14 9:03 PM

Thanks for your information, I have taken the elbo off, and their is nothing inside, you can see through both ways.

So somthing must have come out.

If you've waded your way through the earlier forum thread I mentioned, you'll have seen that Mick H (who was experiencing the same problem as you) said much the same thing - that there appeared to be nothing inside the hot water 'elbow' fitted to his heater.

Drawings in Truma's Ultrastore Installation Instructions show exploded views of the hot water connection 'elbow' (which is in fact a 'T-piece') and also of the cold water connection 'elbow' (which actually IS a 90-degree fitting, but may not have been used on your boiler).

The hot water elbow is described as having an "integrated breather valve", whereas the cold water elbow is described as an "elbow without breather valve". However, except for the upper elbow being T-shaped to allow a ventilation hose (the one that 'loops' upwards and then descends through your motorhome's floor) to be attached, the internal parts of both fittings seem to be identical.

As I said in the earlier thread, I've never pulled one of these fittings apart, but it's likely that the "integrated breather valve" is something very simple (like a captive 'ball-bearing') and is enclosed within the T-piece just below where the ventilation hose is attached. If you can see though the T-piece in all directions, then it's reasonable to assume that something has gone missing.

Anyway, your problem is clearly due to the breather-valve in the hot water outlet 'elbow' not closing correctly and (as seems likely after your inspection of the elbow) if the breather-valve has become physically defective, you'll need to obtain and fit a new elbow, which will undoubtedly effect a cure.

flicka - 2009-12-14 8:14 PM

...Most of the current Truma range Water Heaters have an automatic frost drain, which operates around 5deg...

Just for the record, the only Truma appliances that may employ an "automatic frost drain" are C-Series and "Combi" combination air/water heaters. Ultrastore boilers have manually-operated drain valves.

• 6 years later...

OK just had this problem and fixed it by fitting a new valve.

There IS a none return valve situated in the small area where the breather pipe pushes on, At 1st i missed it because i had the red elbow in my hand and was looking through the hole where the water pipe goes in.

simply suck on the end of the breather pipe and you can tell if the valve is working correctly.

Archived