You are logged in as a guest. 
  Home Forums Home  Search our Forums Search our Forums    Log in to the Forums Log in to the Forums  register Register on the Forums  

Forums ->  Motorhomes -> Hints and Tips
Jump to page : FirstPrevious 1 2 Last
Format:  Go
Truma water heater.
AuthorMessage
userStuartO
Posted: 7 February 2015 1:46 PM
Subject: RE: Truma water heater.

Forum master

Been reading this thread with interest. My anti-frost dump valve is the original electric type, so as long as it lasts I should be able to fill up with water when the MH is very cold, simply by switching on the heating, which overrides the dumpvalve and forces it to stay closed, even before the MH has started heating up.

But the electric dump valve has been superceded by a non-electrical and completely independent one, which presumably is not held closed when the heating is switched on. If you have one of these you will need to heat the MH up to provide an ambient temperature around the valve above the critical temperature before you can fill the boiler with water.

Is that correct?
userlennyhb
Posted: 7 February 2015 6:51 PM

Lord of the posts

If you read further back on the thread you will see this has already been discussed. There is an optional electrical heater for the new valve.

The new valve has the advantage that it does not dump until temp down to 3 deg.
userMyfanwy
Posted: 7 August 2021 2:06 PM

Just joined

I think I’m addressing this to Derek who seems to be the OAAL guru...
My dripping Truma frost protection valve is getting worse. I suspect my use of two clothes pegs to keep it closed has exerted too much force on the seal.
I see that manual valves are available but not necessarily for my 2007 Hobby with Truma C4002.
The big question for me is - what happens to the 12v supply? Can I just leave it tied up to a local pipe/cable?
Any recommendation for the replacement manual valve?
Cheers,
Pete
userKeithl
Posted: 8 August 2021 9:19 AM

Lord of the posts

Myfanwy - 2021-08-07 2:06 PM

I think I’m addressing this to Derek who seems to be the OAAL guru...
My dripping Truma frost protection valve is getting worse. I suspect my use of two clothes pegs to keep it closed has exerted too much force on the seal.
I see that manual valves are available but not necessarily for my 2007 Hobby with Truma C4002.
The big question for me is - what happens to the 12v supply? Can I just leave it tied up to a local pipe/cable?
Any recommendation for the replacement manual valve?
Cheers,
Pete

Pete,

It appears that your post here has largely gone unnoticed so I would suggest you repost your question as a new thread under MotorHome Matters where it should get more visibility.

Keith.
userDerek Uzzell
Posted: 8 August 2021 6:27 PM

Pete

When a Truma electrical safety/drain valve has begun to leak, it’s often been suggested on forums that this may be due to muck/debris within the valve preventing the seal from ‘seating’ properly and that repeatedly ‘flushing’ water through the valve may dislodge the obstruction and stop the leakage. But, as your valve is now 14 years old and the leak is worsening, I’m doubtful that approach would be effective.

My 2005 Hobby’s water system used Jubilee hose-clips on the water hoses throughout and the hoses connecting to the Truma valve used that attachment method as shown in the 1st image below. If your 2007 Hobby also uses Jubilee hose-clips, whatever valve you choose for replacement should have a ‘barbed’ inlet and outlet on to which the water hoses are pushed.

Your best choices are either Truma’s Frost Control valve (example advert here and 2nd image below)

https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/gas/caravan-gas-water-heater/truma-combi-4-6-l.p.-gas-and-electric-heater-spare-parts/truma-release-valve-kit

or Truma’s (much cheaper) basic safety/drain valve that has no anti-frost protection feature (example advert here and 3rd image below)

https://leisurelines.net/truma-safety-drain-valve-28-bar-barbed-for-hose-4625-p.asp

As you’ve been accustomed to disabling your current valve with clothes pegs, you might as well go for the latter.

The 4th image below shows a drain valve’s wiring.The red cable would be connected to a continuous-current (+) 12V fused vehicle power supply. (1Amp fuse). The brown cable is provided for an (optional) control-unit for remotely opening the drain valve. The white/red and white/green cables go into a plastic plug/socket with the two cables leading onwards from that plug/socket eventually ending up in a plug that connects into the heater’s PCB that is under a cover on the heater’s side. To remove the electric safety/drain valve, you’ll need to disconnect the plastic plug/socket and do what’s necessary with the red cable. This might mean removing the fuse, cutting the red cable and tying it up, or you might be able to disconnect the red cable if Hobby has fitted a connector on it.

(electric valve.jpg)

(truma-release-valve-kit41990.jpg)

(truma-safety-drain-valve-2.8-bar-barbed-for-hose-4625-p.jpg)

(electric drain valve.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments electric valve.jpg (33KB - 84 downloads)
Attachments truma-release-valve-kit41990.jpg (9KB - 82 downloads)
Attachments truma-safety-drain-valve-2.8-bar-barbed-for-hose-4625-p.jpg (6KB - 79 downloads)
Attachments electric drain valve.jpg (69KB - 78 downloads)
userDerek Uzzell
Posted: 10 August 2021 9:24 AM

A ‘for what it’s worth’ follow up...

This 2017 French forum thread discussed repairing a Truma electric safety/drain valve

https://www.campingcar-bricoloisirs.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=40771

There was no real conclusion other than that obtaining replacement seals (presumably from Truma) wasn’t possible, but a photo (copy attached below) shows the valve’s interior. It looks like it’s not too difficult to disassemble the valve and I suspect the water sealing principles will be similar to that of the “Frost Control” valve. But - as the French thread says - if substitute seals were fitted - the only way to check if the valve then worked properly would be by trial and error.

(valve.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments valve.jpg (125KB - 77 downloads)
Jump to page : FirstPrevious 1 2 Last
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)(Return to Homepage)

Any problems? Contact the administrator