Webasto lock-out!!

Conrad

Despite my wife's suggestion, I didn't fill up with fuel when we had the opportunities on the Isle of Skye (subsidiary tip - there are more fuel stations than you'd expect, best price was at Co-op in Bradford.) So, not surprising when the Webasto central heating didn't work on our last morning (Zero degrees!). Tried too many times and eventually got locked out - only so many tries allowed when there is a malfunction. Many thanks to the technician at 3As Carmarthen, where we bought the van, who told me on phone what to do. Lesson one - don't go below 1/4 tank or the heating system will not work, and save your fuel for driving, a bit more important. Lesson two - to unlock, turn unit on, remove the 20Amp fuse on the heater unit, wait 5 seconds, turn unit off, replace fuse. Enjoy the heat again after a bit of a wait.

• 2 weeks later...
Conrad - 2019-11-22 9:35 PM

Well, I thought this was a jolly useful tip! A "like" from a few of the 107 folk who read it would be appreciated!

Well, maybe a " Thanks " button - or even a - " I found that interesting " button -

… but - please NOT a " Like " button !

;-)

Someone somewhere freezing their bits off will be very grateful for your input, if just one person had acknowledged your post it would I am sure encourage others to post their Soloutions to other problems they have found. Instead of all the clever people who obviously know everything about anything dismissing what are intended to be as the section is described help and tips.

• 2 months later...

Webasto’s installation instructions specify that, when a heater’s fuel-supply is taken from a vehicle’s own fuel tank, there should be a space of at least 25mm between the end of the pick-up ‘tube’ and the base of the fuel-tank - this reduces the chance of debris being sucked into the pick-up tube.

The ability of the heater’s pump to collect fuel from the tank will directly depend on the amount of space between the end of the pick-up tube and the tank’s base. The larger the space there is the more fuel there will need to be in the tank for the heater to continue to function, and the smaller the space the less fuel the tank needs to be holding for the heater to operate.

Unless the heater has been DIY installed, it probably won’t be known by the motorhome owner how close the end of the pick-up tube is to the tank’s base, so it makes sense to err well on the side of pessimism - hence the sensible advice to not allow the tank to go below 1/4 full. But it’s not a ‘set-in-stone’ number and, if the pick-up tube has been fitted so that its end is quite close to the tank’s base, the heater will continue to work with the tank significantly less than 1/4 full.

The software behind the Out&AboutLive forums is some 15 years old and has never included any Facebook-style response-to-postings features (eg. a ‘like’ button). Scrolling down the threads in the Hints and Tips forum will show that plenty of useful threads have attracted a significant number of Views but zero Replies. So, if you post a Hint/Tip and don’t get a ‘Thank You’ response, don’t be disappointed as ‘liking’ ‘thanking’ or ‘stroking’ has never been standard practice on the Hints and Tips forum.

Cast your bread upon the waters, for you will find it after many days.Give a portion to seven, or even to eight, for you know not what disaster may happen on earth. If the clouds are full of rain, they empty themselves on the earth, and if a tree falls to the south or to the north, in the place where the tree falls, there it will lie. He who observes the wind will not sow, and he who regards the clouds will not reap.

Ecclesiastes 11

Archived