Western France

JohnP

Has anyone visited the Ile De Moutier, Ile De Re or Ile D'Orleron. Any recommendations, especially sites and suitability for cycling.

I am also interested in the Poy du Fou theme park where I understand M/H can stay overnight. Are the islands and park worth a visit?

Thanks

Guest Had Enough
JohnP - 2015-03-06 7:03 PM

Has anyone visited the Ile De Moutier, Ile De Re or Ile D'Orleron. Any recommendations, especially sites and suitability for cycling.

I am also interested in the Poy du Fou theme park where I understand M/H can stay overnight. Are the islands and park worth a visit?

Thanks

I've been to all three. Oleron is my least favourite, we think it's a bit tatty. Noirmoutier is nice and quite small with excellent cycling.

Best of all in our view is Île de Ré. The capital St. Martin is lovely and the cycling is superb. The ride from St Martin along the coast to Ars en Ré is particularly lovely as it goes along coast and among oyster beds and salt pans. Delightful!

If you can only go to one choose Île de Ré. It's cycling heaven with miles of traffic-free cycle routes, lovely little villages and as I said, St. Martin is a lovely harbour town and is very classy.

We've been three times and never tire of it. It's a great place just to unwind and ride your bike and take in the scenery.

Can't help with the theme park I'm afraid as I've never been.

Ps Sites - we don't like the one at St. Martin but there are many good ones and municipals further into the island. It helps if you have an ACSI card and don't go in high season as it is a very popular destination in summer and site prices are higher than average.

We were unimpressed with Noirmoutier as it seemed a highly tourist orientated area and we found that parking by some of the Island's beaches was not particularly easy with full car parks.

We used a couple of Aires and they were very busy even in September but the Island is flat with lots of cycleways as I recall although as we don't have bikes I didn't pay much attention.

The island itself has a few attractions and some interesting features but not enough, I regret to say, to hold us for more than a day or two.

The Loire Valley would be for us far more interesting with possibly more varied, and certainly less windy, cycling opportunities?

We stayed on D'Oleron and Il De Re. Would agree Il De Re much nicer of the two.

On Il De Re we stayed at the aire near the Phare De Baleines (lighthouse) right outside campsite and less than a minute to the beach. Good cycle paths on the North end of the island that went for miles.

On D'Oleron there are two big aires, both former campsites that closed down and someone re-opened as aires. Showers, loos, ehu all in for €9 and big pitches as they are former sites - one each end of the island.

Archived