Which Gaslow adaptors do I need?

pilgrim

Our Carthago has a bulk gas tank and so that I don't neccesarily have to break camp should I run low on gas I'm just about to order a Gaslow Reserve Cylinder Connection Hose. What adaptors do I need for typical spanish and Portugese bottles?

Thanks in advance.

The Gaslow product you plan to order is shown here

http://www.gaslowdirect.com/Gaslow-Reserve-Cylinder-Connection-Hose

The outer end of the connection-hose attaches directly to any gas cylinder that has a 21.8LH connector or to any Gaslow 21.8LH adapter.

(You are certain that the Gaslow Connection Hose will connect directly to your Carthago’s gas-tank? The hose is advertised for connecting an external gas cylinder to a Gaslow filler point and although I’d anticipate that your tank’s flller point and a Gaslow filler point are the same, it would be as well to be sure that’s so.)

The appropriate Gaslow ‘hose adapter' for Spanish and Portugese bottles (and some others) is shown here (Note the caveat about Spanish gas cylinders on the 2nd link.)

http://www.thegaslowcentre.co.uk/magento/gaslow/english/lpg-gas-equipment/gas-adapters/gaslow-jumbo-adapter-to-21-8-lh.html

http://www.gaslowdirect.com/epages/cyujrhdmmu67.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/cyujrhdmmu67/Products/01-1671

This is the latest version of the Gaslow adapter, superseding this earlier design

http://www.outdoorbits.com/gaslow-jumbo-adapter-1671-p-988.html

I’m not sure how easy it would be for you to obtain a Spanish or Portugese gas-bottle

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Spanish-GAS-bottle-where-can-i-find-one-can-i-get-one-/26104/

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Bottle-Connections-SPain-Portugal/14301/

and, as your Carthago’s gas-tank is likely to be quite large and there is a fair number of LPG-selling outlets in Spain and Portugal,

http://www.mylpg.eu/stations/spain

http://www.mylpg.eu/stations/portugal

I do wonder whether the exterior-bottle strategy is worth bothering with in your case.

As Tracker has advised, to fill the Carthago’s gas-tank at LPG-selling outlets in Spain/Portugal the tank’s filler point will require the appropriate adapter.

I understand that some folk use a locally sourced gas bottle connected through the external bbq point to feed back (via a regulator of course!) into the gas system when abroad for a longer period?

I'm not at all sure that I would do this but it might be a solution to carry a small Calor or Camping Gaz bottle, regulator and hose with jubilee clips if one, understandably if one is not used to how long a tank of gas lasts, suffers from gas anxiety?

You will still need the filling adapters to fill the gas tank and a map of where filling stations that sell lpg would be handy so you can top up when either passing or close by.

We use the Vicarious Aires books which show lpg stations but no doubt there are other maps available via our friends at Google if you do not need the Aires book?

Billggski - 2015-02-04 2:48 PM

A bulk gas tank should last a whole summer in Spain or Portugal. Especially if you fill up when you arrive.

Sorry but that could be misleading as one cannot know without more information as it crucially depends on the time of year and how much heating and hot water he prefers to use and whether or not sites with ehu are used as well as the effective capacity of the gas tank.

However assuming gas use has not changed for the OP he should be able to translate the gas used in bottles to the potential gas use from a tank taking the view that gas bottle capacity is generally in kilos and gas tanks in litres at roughly two litres per kilo of gas.

StuartO - 2015-02-04 3:34 PM

Perhaps you are misreading the post you are responding to Tracker, he said "summer" and a "bulk" gas tank. It was clear enough for me.

Sorry Stuart but read it as I have I can't see the word 'summer' anywhere in the original post below and neither can I see the size of bulk tank mentioned?

Although Derek's post states that the tank capacity is likely to be 'quite large', we too have a' bulk' tank as it is known as - all of 20 litres (25 litres nominal) 10 kg at 80% capacity - and regardless of tank size some idea of typical climate and duration use would help to assess how long a tankful might last and from that even whether he needs to bother with filling adapters if the tank is really large and he is not away too long?

A quick Google suggests that the tank may be up to 120 litres which is what I would call 'bulk' and if our 20 litre tank lasts 3 to 4 weeks with no ehu use in three season camping I guess a tank of 96 litres actual would last almost 5 times as long? In which case it might well be cost effective to buy the adapters and fill up in the least expensive country.

What have I missed!

"Our Carthago has a bulk gas tank and so that I don't necessarily have to break camp should I run low on gas I'm just about to order a Gaslow Reserve Cylinder Connection Hose. What adaptors do I need for typical Spanish and Portugese bottles?

Thanks in advance."

StuartO - 2015-02-04 4:23 PM

The words "bulk" and "summer" were both in the post which you quoted within in your post, to which I therefore assumed you were responding. No big deal, you just carry on waffling away as usual! :-D

Yesterday you were the one complaining about needless rudeness, sometimes in the guise of humour, when replying and yet here you are doing it again - twice - needlessly when I have not been rude to you - why?

If by 'waffling on' - another needless provocation - you mean trying to provide info for the OP - well then yes guilty as charged whereas I note that your offerings so far on this topic have been solely aimed at having another go at me - why do you continually feel the need to do this and spoil a previously sensible discussion?

I am aware of the word 'bulk' but I am unable to spot the word 'summer' in the original post so it looks as if it is you who has mis-read - but never mind we all make mistakes!

As I see it, the reference to 'summer' was made by Billggski not by the OP, Pilgrim?

If you wish to continue this discussion please do so without dis-courtesy disguised as humour as I will to you.

And this is the response from the individual who was supposedly protesting about needless insult hurling in an attempt to get it stopped only yesterday.

Come on Stuart, please grow up and start contributing usefully as you must realise that I am only trying to help you help yourself by not stooping to your level of personal insults.

Nuff said.

Richard Birkett (pilgrim) joined the Out&AboutLive forums 3 days ago. He has initiated two forum discussions - this one and a question about gel batteries that is currently three threads lower down. In the latter thread Richard identifies the motorhome he owns (2007 Carthago M-Liner) and explains how he intends to use it

“...As far as lifestyle goes, we have only just got the Carthago but expect to use it as our last vehicle (Euramobil Integra) ie the winter is typically spent on sites in warmer climes and the summer spent touring Northern/central europe mostly off grid.”

As I was aware of which motorhome Richard owns and where and when he plans to use it, I suggested that his plan to obtain a Gaslow Reserve Cylinder Hose, adapter and Spanish/Portugese gas bottles might be unnecessary. But Richard will know the capacity of his Carthago’s gas-tank and should know from past experience how much gas he is likely to use. Even if it transpired that an external Spanish/Portugese gas bottle were not needed, the cost of a Gaslow hose and adapter is not huge and it’s undoubtedly better to acquire the hose and adapter before heading abroad rather than try to obtain the hose/adapter in Spain or Portugal. As with Richard’s battery-related inquiry, it’s his money and his choice how to spend it.

Before I replied to Richard’s Gaslow-related question I had read Tracker’s response and realised that his advice did not address Richard’s requirement. When I posted I did not begin by saying “Tracker you dope, that’s not what pilgrim wants to know - can’t you read?” but that’s the sort of comment that’s now rife on the Out&AboutLive Motorhome forums.

At present there are four forum members (Had Enough, Joe90, Tracker and StuartO) that evidently thrive on verbal confrontation. The first three are long-term OA&L forum participants and have been ‘banned’ from this forum in the past for aggressive argumentative posting. StuartO only joined a year ago but now seems to be well infected with the Yah Boo Sucks Bug.

I don’t know what Richard Birkett feels as a new O&AL forum member about his perfectly reasonable inquiry rapidly degenerating into a slanging match, but if I were in his shoes I’d get the hell off this forum and ask any futher questions elsewhere where there’s effective oversight/control from the forum’s moderator. For example, the Practical Motorhome forum

http://www.practicalmotorhome.com/forum/

That is a pretty fair summation Derek.

I now realise that the question that I answered for Pilgrim was not the question he asked and for my mis-understanding I apologise, however it was done with the best of intentions and I have tried to add further help as the thread evolved and as I understood it.

I did not check back over Pilgrim's previous postings to determine his gas tank capacity or that use was all season rather than just summer use which has now also been clarified as all seasons as the thread evolved.

I was dis-appointed by Stuart's unwarranted attack and jibes and I tried to respond with restraint but that only met with further provocation and I still really do not understand why when it was Stuart's own incorrect understanding regarding summer use that led to his ongoing jibes and attacks.

As a lesson in how to respond to an incorrect understanding of a question perhaps we could all learn a thing or two from Derek who, in my view, is by far the most knowledgeable and respected member we have on this forum and we are indeed fortunate that he remains.

I hope that Pilgrim also remains and is not put off by unfortunately being at the centre of events that are not of his making as this is still a good forum with lots of varied experiences and helpful and supportive members on hand.

Contrary to Derek's view, I do not seek confrontation and I am never offensive to anyone specifically unless they are rude to me first.

However I do accept that I have a short fuse at times and also that I am not averse to casting a bait now and then to see what rises. That said, how or whether an individual chooses to rise to any perceived bait is completely within their own hands and does not need to be offensive or aggressive without established due cause.

I do have to wonder why you are being so deliberately obtuse and belligerent Stuart?

Your first post on this topic yesterday was both incorrect and needlessly sarcastic, but I replied politely and tried to clarify the situation, to which you had another bash at sarcasm and so it escalated from you until you became so enraged and determined to provoke me that you posted what can only be described as an offensive cartoon which I am surprised the moderators have not removed - but at least the evidence remains for all to see and form their own conclusions - and still I refuse to be provoked by you.

Not once on this topic have you made any attempt to offer anyone any help or support as you seem to be consumed with trying to provoke me so I conclude that for reasons known only to you that you have an ongoing campaign of malice which does you personally no credit.

If you can tell me exactly where in Pilgrim's initial posting the references to summer use only and to the capacity of the bulk tank appear that you refer to in your posting I might be able to understand why you feel so aggrieved and unable to apologise?

As it is perhaps the time has come for you to be a man and apologise both for getting it wrong and for the unprovoked insults and sarcasm that you have seen fit to throw at me so that we can move on from here?

I will hold no grudge against you and will continue to respond to each posting on it's merits - or lack of merit - so can I expect the same courtesy from you?

Please be aware that the use of an added emoticon in an attempt to turn a sarcastic or rude posting into one of false humour is hardly worthy and it does not give it's user a get out of jail free card for later use.

My apologies to everyone else but given the history between us and Stuarts determination never to be wrong it is important to establish that in this case although he is wrong on several counts I bear him no malice.

I have nothing to add for Tracker, with whom I have now given up trying to communicate at all, indefinitely.

The point I was trying to make earlier was to endorse an earlier suggestion that if you enter Spain with a full bulk gas tank, you are pretty unlikely to need any more gas throughout a whole summer. Even in cooler climates we have never used more than 11kg per month, probably only half that, despite using lots of gas for BBQing.

If you really feel the need for some sort of fallback additional gas supply, I suggest that a BBQ point fitted to your MH is a good dual piurpose thing because it will allow you to back-feed gas into the MH manifold from any 30mbar regulator/bottle combination - which you can buy locally as and when necessary.

So do you now accept that your rantings at me and profane poster were totally unjustified Stuart or are you still in denial?

Just as you were with your nasty comments on the windbag thread when I was unable to come on here for a few days to respond to your provocation due to a death in our family.

Your failure then as now to take the opportunities to apologise for your unprovoked nastiness marks you as the unpleasant individual that you are proving yourself to be.

Well done Derek, for speaking out against postings that are pedantic or point scoring and sometimes rude, as you say it might be quite off putting to new members who genuinely ask for advice.

Thanks to yourself and others who regularly post useful and informed advice without animosity and hoping that you all continue without intimidation

Fred

It was standing up against Tracker’s argumentativeness that got me frustrated enough to insult him, but I do see that resorting to insult is always counterproductive and I have apologised for doing it.

I still find it difficult to see that my post (“Perhaps you are misreading the post you are responding to Tracker, he said "summer" and a "bulk" gas tank. It was clear enough for me.”) was particularly provocative (compared with Derek’s reprise of “Tracker you dope, that’s not what pilgrim wants to know - can’t you read?” ) but there we are, I get the point.

If you engage with argumentative people to try to get them to be less argumentative (which I had certainly been doing with Tracker on an earlier thread) you end up appearing to be argumentative too, so I’ve given up.

There you go again, you just cannot stop yourself having these little digs can you. I have said nothing to upset you but still you just have to try to stir it up again.

What is it with you - are you ill - should we be making allowances for you?

I don't expect you to understand this, but sometimes in life there are events and issues both good and bad that take far greater precedence over visiting this forum and I do not feel the need to discuss my private life with the likes of you.

Contrary to your apparent egotistical belief, you are so insignificant that I would never feel the need to stay away because of the self opinionated drivel that you post in your repeated attempts to rile me.

After your earlier attempts to dig yourself out of your self made hole I had no intention of carrying on the topic as your blatant arrogance is such that an apology for all your past false accusations is obviously never going to be forthcoming from you so please would you stop stalking me and let the matter gently fade away.

Some chance but do feel free to carry on with the snide and the stirring whilst you are enjoying being in your own little world of denial.

Archived