Which club to join?

TheSearles

Hello all,

We are new to motorhoming and will be collecting our 'compact' in a few weeks.

There seems to be two caravan clubs, should we join both or is one better suited to motor homes than the other?

Thank you in advance.

Unless you want to use the temporary holiday sites, neither. We were members of c&cc for 8 years and the membership fee became ridiculous, something approaching 50 pounds! Then if you want to stay at a main site it's extortionate. There's lots of threads on forums of people complaining too, it's not just me being tight.

Join ACSI they have sites in the UK and all across Europe at exclusive reduced prices.

https://www.campingcard.co.uk/extra-information/what-is-campingcard-acsi/

If you are motorhoming on a shoestring then perhaps you do need to be selective but as a newcomer, you might well find that either or both of the big clubs would suit you because of either their range of sites and CLs or the ferry etc deals they offer to members.  The C&CClub in particular has a very strong local structure and offers lots of oportunities for low-cost rallies.  Both clubs run a large scale annual "national" meeting, which you might well enjoy trying.  There are also other clubs which might be worth joining, including the Motorcaravanners Club, which has its own range of CLs and organises lots of rallies.  There are also lots of single make clubs, which can be useful for technical know-how.

You wil come across lots of people who feel that the big clubs especially are not really clubs but camping-oriented businesses and they don't pay much heed to members at all.  Some of these people, although of course by no means all, have crossed swords in the past and have an axe to grind and some are simply cheapskates who resent paying anybody anything.  There may be truth in some of the grievances but it will still be worth you joining to start with, to see how these clubs work out for you.

If you use club camp sites in UK you usually save your membership fees within a few mights stay.  Later on, if you find you aren't using one or other enough to justify the membership fees, you can always drop them.

Have to agree with previous postings Depending on how you intend to camp. We where members of the caravan Club, but found the sites mostly in locations where you need other transport, i.e bikes, car.

As we do not ride bikes, we found we where cut off.

If intending to travel abroad, then the Caravan club probably bigger and more locations. But as stated, ACSI which is out of season discount is by far the best IMO. We only go abroad, mainly for the weather and more suitable sites IMO. Probably a good idea to join one for the first year, unless of coarse you have been caravanners , then you will know about camping.

Good luck in your new adventure, and hope to "see" you on this forum , ask all you like , we've all been there as first timers

PJay

PS it helps if you put your location in your profile, then any questions about garages/ etc can be given for your area

PJay

Note that ACSI do not own any sites - it's a camping discount scheme which covers thousands of sites throughout Europe in LOW SEASON.

Excellent scheme - costs about £16 (?) this year to join and you will soon get that back by staying on sites that belongs to the scheme.

Camping and Caravanning Club have a discount scheme for over sixties - which applies in Mid and Low season.

Happy travels

;-)

• 5 weeks later...

We were members of both clubs, but because the Caravan Clubs members are not asked for a deposit when booking sites we found the popular places were all getting booked up at CHRISTMAS !!

So we dropped them and are now just Camping and Caravan Club , only once have we been unable to book

the site we wanted a couple of weeks before we wanted to go, yes they ask for a deposit , but we dont mind that as it comes off what we pay when arriving .

We also off season get the age concession that I think is after 55 , being well and truly above that no problem. :-D

The books and map plus the monthly magazine are worth the £38 joining fee if using internet and I think £40 with the books.

• 1 month later...
wiff2110 - 2017-08-19 9:40 AM

Might be a bit late in answering but I am only a member of the c&cc as my motorhome 3500kgs+ is covered using the RAC whereby being in the other club then the AA which is affiliated won't cover my motorhome breakdown because of its weight.

CAMC (formerly known s The Caravan Club) offers Mayday breakdown cover for UK (operated by Green Flag) and there is NO restriction regarding size or weight. (I don't know why AA was mentioned in connection with CAMC/CC.)

TheSearles - 2017-06-04 11:21 PM

Hello all,

We are new to motorhoming and will be collecting our 'compact' in a few weeks.

There seems to be two caravan clubs, should we join both or is one better suited to motor homes than the other?

Thank you in advance.

As someone else has pointed out, there are some people who are averse to being in either club. There are others who only have good words for one or the other. There are others (like myself) who find benefits in being in both clubs.

The topic has occurred on this forum and "Motorhome matters" at various times.

If you go to the search engine and type "which club to join?" October 2011 you will find fulsome coverage. On the 13th post down on that thread I put in references to other threads on the same topic, on some of which I had given reasons for my being in both clubs and giving what I consider to be plus points and negatives of each. Most of these are still valid for me (although CAMC/CC no longer has its own credit card offering free nights for points.)

PJay - 2017-06-05 9:13 We where members of the caravan Club, but found the sites mostly in locations where you need other transport, i.e bikes, car.

As we do not ride bikes, we found we where cut off.

I

PJay

Whilst it is true that there are some sites of both clubs and also commercial sites situated in the countryside and not close to "attractions" or bus routes, we have stayed on 25 CAMC (Caravan Club) sites within cities, towns and villages or with bus stops outside! On many of those sites we have not needed to take our van off site.

Archived