Which drive away awning/

michaelmorris

My wife and I have just bought our first motorhome, an Elddis Autoquest 200 with a Fiamma F45 wind out awning on the side.

We plan to use the Fiamma on days out and when we're touring, but we want a drive away awning for use when we're not touring. The idea would be to leave the awning in place when we go exploring for the day. The plan at the moment is to probably attach it to the van via the Fiamma (with an adaptor kit).

We want the awning to be at least 3 metres square. We're on a relatively tight budget and we've been looking at the Outdoor Revolution Movelite Cayman XL. Are they any good? Any suggestion of alternatives gratefully received.

Thanks

As you are new to Motorhoming, I would wait until you have used it for a while. We were tuggers and we found after a few months with a Motorhome our style of camping changed, we now rarely stay in one place more than one or two nights.

Guest Had Enough
michaelmorris - 2015-04-26 4:53 PM

My wife and I have just bought our first motorhome, an Elddis Autoquest 200 with a Fiamma F45 wind out awning on the side.

We plan to use the Fiamma on days out and when we're touring, but we want a drive away awning for use when we're not touring. The idea would be to leave the awning in place when we go exploring for the day. The plan at the moment is to probably attach it to the van via the Fiamma (with an adaptor kit).

We want the awning to be at least 3 metres square. We're on a relatively tight budget and we've been looking at the Outdoor Revolution Movelite Cayman XL. Are they any good? Any suggestion of alternatives gratefully received.

Thanks

Many people stay on sites for several days or weeks as anyone who uses sites will verify, and some of us like to have an awning of some kind to store bikes or eat in if it's not quite warm enough to be totally al fresco.

However, think carefully about a drive-away awning that will have to be separated from the 'van whenever you move, and when you return you'll have to park in exactly the same place so that you can reattach it properly.

Many people, us included, have gone for a separate tent such as this http://goo.gl/bDxRAO which can be erected quickly anywhere on your pitch.

If you put it at the back of the pitch you can still use your wind-out sunblind, or you could pitch it close to the 'van door if that suits you better. I think that good quality, fast erect tents like ours may well be cheaper than drive-away awnings.

We are looking at a drive-away awning for several reasons.

1 - I'm a keen amateur astronomer and plan to carry a full astro-imaging rig with me to various 'star parties' where there are many other astronomers on site. I want an 'annex' where I can store some of my gear during the day and run the computer that controls it at night without disturbing my wife asleep inside the van.

2 - a place to store deck chairs during the day and sit out of an evening.

3 - a place holder for if we pop out for the day whilst at a site without specific pitches

Michael, we use a Movelite drive away awning and attach it to the Fiamma wind out awning with a fixing kit NOT the straps provided.

Now we are used to it, it takes us 15 minutes to erect and the same to pack away. It's a fabulous bit of kit, very robust and to us, good value for money too. I will buy another immediately in the event that our current one needs to be replaced.

Archived